SASS Wire Forum

Sig Sauer 1911 and the P226

Aunt Jen

Here is my new Sig: /Users/noname/Pictures/1911a.JPG I'm eager to have it.

I know it's an apples/oranges thing, but why do some people consider the P226 better?

For historical connection, I prefer the 1911. And I have a Glock 17 for the more modern...., though the Sig is so good, I don't know if that matters. On my Glock, I don't have a jamming problem. I stiff-wrist it, anyway, to help bring it back on target for double-tap. It'll rock and roll.

I'll get the 1911 in 10+ days, and then Painless and I will have to go test it and see how it does. I'm expecting it'll be great.

Jen,

I want you to know that it is YOUR fault that I have the fever for a Sig 1911. I was content and thinking of getting a Colt as I wanted one that says "100 years of service" on it and then your post the other day got me hooked on a Sig instead.

Jen,

I want you to know that it is YOUR fault that I have the fever for a Sig 1911. I was content and thinking of getting a Colt as I wanted one that says "100 years of service" on it and then your post the other day got me hooked on a Sig instead.

Oh, how nice. I haven't shot one yet. I did the paperwork for mine today (bought it the other day), and it feels good. Looks solid. I do get the impression it's a nice piece. And I'm sure it is. I'll report later. I really have only shot one, some 30 years ago? So I don't really know enough about the different makes to compare. I'm guessing a cheaper one would be great, too, but then—knowing me—I'd tinker with it to slick it and I'd wind up with more in it than the Sig, anyway. So I got it. It seems to have on it what I'd want.

Boss?

You look like John Wayne. :wub: They don't make 'em much finer.

It is for sure-

I figger anyone says the 226 is better (GREAT gun BTW) is jest NOT a 1911 fan?

seems to me the 1911 is better, the 226 is fatter(hindering those with small hands getting a good grip), only a 9, and plus ever since my buddy got killed using one I could never own one without thinking of him. The criminal had a baretta and he had 226 and they killed each other.

I'm sorry.

no, sorry it came back to mind again. sorry I hijacked your post a little. back to your qestion, the only advantage I can see the 226 has is it is double action and some do not feel comfortable carrying a 1911 cocked with a round in the chamber and locked like it should be. that hammer being back makes them nervous.

I’ve got 4 1911’s and only one Sig P226. The Sig lives in the bottom of the safe the 1911’s are where I can reach them if needed. When working if it looked like the excrement was going to hit the whirling blades I reached for the Gold Cup every time, and I am a factory trained Sig armorer.

no, sorry it came back to mind again. sorry I hijacked your post a little. back to your qestion, the only advantage I can see the 226 has is it is double action and some do not feel comfortable carrying a 1911 cocked with a round in the chamber and locked like it should be. that hammer being back makes them nervous.

Hmmmmm....

Yes, I can see that. But having one chambered in a double-action seems to me to have a similar risk, as it's a minor difference in the trigger... Usually there is some kind of safety (trigger, grip, lever).

For SD, one needs to be ready quickly. If anything's not chambered, then I hope one has time to chamber...

If one has a round chambered, then you'd still have to remove the safety (if there is a lever), grip the gun (which removes another safety, if so equipped), and pull the trigger, which seems to be about the same thing you'd have to do for a double-action pull.

It's a different system, but I don't see it as being less safe, per se, to me.

Hmmmmm....

Yes, I can see that. But having one chambered in a double-action seems to me to have a similar risk, as it's a minor difference in the trigger... Usually there is some kind of safety (trigger, grip, lever).

For SD, one needs to be ready quickly. If anything's not chambered, then I hope one has time to chamber...

If one has a round chambered, then you'd still have to remove the safety (if there is a lever), grip the gun (which removes another safety, if so equipped), and pull the trigger, which seems to be about the same thing you'd have to do for a double-action pull.

It's a different system, but I don't see it as being less safe, per se, to me.

Apples & Oranges.

I prefer the 1911. It's the apple of my eye. :lol:

I have a 226 I would really like to sell so I can get another 1911.

That P-228 is a fantastic pistol, but I just shoot better with the 1911.

My son was torn up recently on which pistol to buy and narrowed it down to the SIG or a Kimber. Ended up with the Kimber. I would really like the opportunity to shoot the SIG variety.

I have carried both weapons as a LEO. As an Officer, the 226 has more ammo capasity. You have 45 rounds with 2 extra mags. The 1911 has about 22 round with 2 extra mags. I like both to shoot and carry. It just depends on whether you want more ammo with the 226 or more knockdown with 1911.

Archived