SASS Wire Forum

Non SASS, who is using what for a tablet computer?

Iron Pony

The netbook is on its way to my Mom for surfing and skype use. The new Toshiba laptop is outstanding but it leaves a techno hole that might be filled nicely by a tablet. Looking at just about everything but the ipads and blackberry versions, probably going to be wifi only, android os with a 10" display.

So who is using what and what are your opinions?

Each to his own preference, but I do prefer the iPad. Not only does it work better, IMO, but it's so very easy to hook it up to the computer, get iTunes, download anything to it from music to books to audiobooks, PDFs of my written works projects, etc., and then go. Connect again later, and get automatic updates......

Uses:

kind of a cross between a computer and an iPod

easier to carry with you than a computer, but easier to see than a iPod or phone

use it to take photos or video of anything

edit video....

share with friends on site (larger than phone, easy to see)

email the photos or video to anyone over internet

talk with them while you both look at something

(I've been known to do this when talking to a manufacturer about a part I need or project I'm working on)

have PDFs of works in process, which can show in iBooks as PDFs, sitting in there similar to the way books do

check emails easily (easier than on a phone, as it's larger)

surf the internet, same

big enough to read books on—and keep thousands of them there for life, if you choose, or delete them...

enough storage for loads of audiobooks to listen to while you drive your car or roam the countryside...

do anything with it, other than type a book. The touch pad isn't type-long-things friendly.

DON'T get the iPad (1) or the iPad 2. Not that they're not good. I have the iPad (the "1"). But the iPad 3 will be out soon, I'm sure, so why not get the better one?

I recently purchased an HP Mini for $279. It went on sale the next week for $229. Best Buy immediately refunded the differece to my AMEX account. I was very happy with it at the original price and even moreso now. With Windows 7 Starter Ed, 250Meg memory and 1Gig hard drive, I will never fill it up. It also has 3 USB ports.

It seems to be perfect for my needs, but may not necessarily fit yours.notebook

The netbook is on its way to my Mom for surfing and skype use. The new Toshiba laptop is outstanding but it leaves a techno hole that might be filled nicely by a tablet. Looking at just about everything but the ipads and blackberry versions, probably going to be wifi only, android os with a 10" display.

You can buy a Borders Nook for $250 new, or refurbished for $189.

Then follow the easy directions on the web to crack it and install Android 3.0: Hack the Nook

Then load any and all the android ap's you want, all for less than half the price of a iPad or other tablet.

It's a full color touch pad and it will do whatever any other pad can do - for $250.

It does take following instructions, but most men can do it as long as a woman isn't watching.

Shadow Catcher

What the $%^* are you talkin' 'bout?????? :wacko::blink::huh: I did see blackberry in there somewhere. They do make a mighty fine cobbler, but it's best if ya use a collander to mush 'em in and get the blasted seeds out first.

JHC

Shadowcatcher cracking the nook had crossed my mind, seems like they have left the machine open for upgrades on purpose. I'll have to double check what it can/cant do but the option of hypercharging it is real appealing.

As to the ipad, its not that I dont want one but the integration of the android OS makes more sense to me kind like mac versus pc. The toshiba thrive has full size hdmi and usb connections plus a removeable battery though it may be a little thicker.

Cmon techno cowboys, tell me what you are using.

If you can wait til 8-15 there are some very interesting conversations on the net about a new offering from TABCO (Tablet Company).

No one know a thing about it, it is building hype like crazy anyway, we don't know if it is a new start-up company or one of the big players (IBM, Toshiba, etc) just doing some marketing.

Thanks Sneaky, I will check cnet from time to time. Right now I've got dealfun sending me updates on tablets, plenty of ipads, an ocasional galaxy tab etc.

Shadowcatcher - looked at a review that showed the crack with android froyo and the authors comments were the updates to the andriod os are coming fast and furious. about the only thing i can see about cracking a nook is the lack of camera(s) right now but for the price difference I can skype from the laptop.

I take a tablet when the computer gives me a headache.

I was listening to an audiobook in the car the other day, in a parking lot waiting on something, bluetoothed off my iphone, and a man asked me about it. He thought he might get himself a Kindle reader, but after talking with me for a while, he thought he would get his daughter a new ipad when they come out, and he will take her old ipad to use for himself.

I've never owned a Kindle, but it seems to me that they're very narrow in scope, and the iPad will do so much you think it'll do your dishes for you—which means there's a LOT of room for you to grow into it.

That's what happens to me: I envision I'll do A and B with something. Then I get it, and I see a lot of other things that it'd be great for, also, and I wind up doing A-M with it (I'm not so techy as to go all the way with it.)

It's like: I drive a Harley also, but the other day out of curiosity, I was looking at those little scooters that get 100 mpg? I could get a 55cc for cheaper, but it will only go 30 mpg, which means none of the 2-lane highways, which would severely restrict where I could go. It would cost more for a 150cc, but it'd go about 60, and so I'd be able to do short distances on the local 2-lane highways, which is great, because I'd need to do that to get to various places I go to around here.

As to Pads, you can survive with a cheaper one, but the better ones will allow you to grow into them, do more.......

Aunt Jen when I bought the netbook I called it the football, it had everything I needed to work from anywhere I could get a wifi connection. VPN into work, all the software etc etc etc and it came in real handy from time to time but was also kind of a pain since I had it damn near ALL the time when I was away from the department. Folks at work knew that and took advantage of the fact by contacting me to do stuff they were capable of doing on their own. It was normally faster for me to boot it up and VPN in then talking them through the problem.

This device however will be for surfing, reading, short emails, streaming audio, pandora, responding to wire posts etc and right now cracking/rooting a nook may be the best option. The laptop will go when I need to do any business, this one will be for leisure time stuff.

Still looking and thinking, there is absolutely zero rush on buying one of these.

This is getting scary; heard a guy on TV say recently that by 2020, we will each own an AVERAGE of 7 wireless devices....

I use a notebook for work from home and travel, and a PC for home. I can reachall the virtual paper in all my files from anywhere - a great advantage and improvement. My wireless phone is still just a phone. But I can see the handwriting on the wall (or is that the data on the screen?) In business, the expectation is that you CAN and WILL respond immediately to every text, email and voice call; that you are constantly monitoring them all, even as you drive, dine and talk with others. I'm not real happy about that.

My carrier just notified me that it's time to upgrade my cell phone. I plan to look at iPhones, but I'm still not sure that I want more than just a phone.

Still, iPads are attractive little do-hickies...have to keep an eye on them....let us know what you decide to do.

LL

I bought a Xoom a while back and it's OK. It replaced a Toshiba laptop. In many ways I prefer the laptop, but often it was more than I needed. The Xoom is outstanding on trips as it's larger screen permits navigation info, finding eateries, destinations, etc. When we stop for the night we can use it to play music, watch movies, and it works pretty good as an alarm clock. :lol:

I can also keep it by my chair while watching the tube and look up stuff I see advertised.

The iPad has more apps but I just can't bring myself to support Evil Empire No. 2 (Microsoft being Evil Empire No. 1 ;) ).

If you need a laptop you'll be disapointed with a tablet. But if you really don't need a full-fledged computer then they are a vialble alternative.

Have fun searching!

SQQ

This is getting scary; heard a guy on TV say recently that by 2020, we will each own an AVERAGE of 7 wireless devices....

I use a notebook for work from home and travel, and a PC for home. I can reachall the virtual paper in all my files from anywhere - a great advantage and improvement. My wireless phone is still just a phone. But I can see the handwriting on the wall (or is that the data on the screen?) In business, the expectation is that you CAN and WILL respond immediately to every text, email and voice call; that you are constantly monitoring them all, even as you drive, dine and talk with others. I'm not real happy about that.

My carrier just notified me that it's time to upgrade my cell phone. I plan to look at iPhones, but I'm still not sure that I want more than just a phone.

Still, iPads are attractive little do-hickies...have to keep an eye on them....let us know what you decide to do.

LL

Love the iPhone - because the PC software (iTunes) is user friendly. Androids are probably more powerful, and they're

available with better cameras and there is more software for them, but my iPhone 4 is good enough for what i do - including

looking up things on the web while traveling, and using it as a phone, etc.

At some point I may elect to go to a Tablet for traveling around, since in a hotel, airplane & other places I want a larger

screen for reading books, web sites for news,and movies for entertainment. For me though - having large memory storage for

unloading my camera cards and then reviewing images is very important - a lap top is still more viable these days - that

will change I'm sure.

This is just the beginning - I think though that the technologies are more likely to converge, and the number seven may go

to one or two at most. Most people have only so many pockets . . .

Shadow Catcher

Etch-a-Sketch.

Just shake to re-boot. :lol:

Love the iPhone - because the PC software (iTunes) is user friendly. Androids are probably more powerful, and they're

available with better cameras and there is more software for them, but my iPhone 4 is good enough for what i do - including

looking up things on the web while traveling, and using it as a phone, etc.

At some point I may elect to go to a Tablet for traveling around, since in a hotel, airplane & other places I want a larger

screen for reading books, web sites for news,and movies for entertainment. For me though - having large memory storage for

unloading my camera cards and then reviewing images is very important - a lap top is still more viable these days - that

will change I'm sure.

This is just the beginning - I think though that the technologies are more likely to converge, and the number seven may go

to one or two at most. Most people have only so many pockets . . .

Shadow Catcher

I womder if that 7 estimate includes the next generation of "helpful" wireless devices - diagnostic and communication chips in your car, refrigerator, furnace, and other major appliances, that allows the manufacturer or dealer to detect problems, resolve some issues, and advise you that other service is required based on data transmitted. I just can't wait....

LL

Ok here we with my first entry from my new nook color. Going to give it a test run then decide if I want to crack it or not. Have a feeling the magazine subscriptions are going to add up.

Archived