SASS Wire Forum

Anyone have the front sight fall of of their Vaquero?

I have a new model vaquero that shoots low and left. In the process of filing the front sight it came loose and eventually fell off. Just curious if I am the only person that this has happened to. I sent it back to Ruger for repair and asked them to make the sight adjustments to the gun.

No problems with my two, I can tell you that it is darn funny with a fast shooter pulls a pistol and starts blazing away..and missing..and realizes his front sight is gone. :D :D

I've had two old model Vaqueros (both in stainless) where the front sight came off after just a few months of use. Silver soldered both back on, with great success.

Good luck, GJ

I bought a used OMV for my wife and the front sight was bent for POI....the price was right so I still bought it but trying to bend it back....well you know it broke off. I had a local gunsmith silver solder it back on and it never budged after that.

I will file a sight for vertical adjustment and leave it a bit high. I will file a rear sight for horizontal adjustment. This also opens up the sight window.

Bending barrels or sights does not sound like a very good idea.

I shoot FC and cannot see the targets nor the sights after 3-4 rounds going downrange.

My biggest problem with my OMV's and Ubertis is the ejector housing screw comes loose and everything goes to flying during a stage! I try to check all of the screws before a match but sometimes let this process be skipped.

I just noticed the front sight on my other Vaquero is a little loose. I can wiggle it very slightly. :angry: I will be calling Ruger about this one today. It cost me $75.00 to ship the first one to them thanks to UPS overnight policy. Now I am going to have to pay for another one to be shipped.

I can tell you that it is darn funny with a fast shooter pulls a pistol and starts blazing away..and missing..and realizes his front sight is gone. :D :D

Not near as funny as when a SLOW shooter does it! :P:P:P

Yep, happened when I was shooting .44-40 packed with 33 gr. of FFFg. Lost the front sight and the ejector housing screw, ejector rod, and spring all on the same stage (apparently on the last shot).

Found all the parts. Held the front sight on with scotch tape for the rest of the stages that day. Soldered it back on at the camper that night.

Shot clean the next day!

I've had great success with using JB Weld to replace Ruger and other front sights. After doing several, they're all still there and holding well. Silver solder is better but more difficult and discolors the bluing on blued guns.

I bought a pair of new Ruger SASS Vaqueros in March and one of the sights was "wobbly" and had to be silver soldered to firm it up...the other pistol has been fine.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Look at the bright side... it ain't like a condom came off.

ts

Archived