SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of suppressors...........

Has anyone ever tried the 2 liter bottle trick? I've always wanted to try that just for the helluvit. Don't look to me like it would work that well, but who knows. Never really figured out how to attach it to most autos where it could still function. I do have a High Standard .22 that would probably work, esp. with subsonic ammo. Looks like the bottle would rather mess up you sight picture howsoever.

JHC

The "ghetto silencer". We had some local bad guys make one out of a 20 oz plastic bottle, covered in duct tape, then taped to a bull barrel Ruger. When we caught them with it, BATFE charged them with possession of a silencer.

I wouldn't try it. If you get caught, it will be a life changer.

I have a suppressed 22 High Standard. I went through the paperwork, got the ATF Form 4, and it's legal and very quiet.

I've never tried anything like that. Why, it would be illegal see? Anya youse mugs dat would try sumpin like that are probably Zoot shooters. :lol:;)

The "ghetto silencer". We had some local bad guys make one out of a 20 oz plastic bottle, covered in duct tape, then taped to a bull barrel Ruger. When we caught them with it, BATFE charged them with possession of a silencer.

I wouldn't try it. If you get caught, it will be a life changer.

I have a suppressed 22 High Standard. I went through the paperwork, got the ATF Form 4, and it's legal and very quiet.

Well, I don't plan on leaving it on long enough to get caught. Our "farm" is 30 miles out in the boonies, bottle will go right in the trash, then it's no longer a suppressor, just a dead bottle. ;)

I have a TC Contender that would be a prime candidate, but the only barrel I have is a 10" .30/30. Don't think it would quiet that puppy down much. :lol: Wish I had bought a .22 and .45/.410 barrel back when they were $86 post paid from Midway, but alas I didn't. It was my first IHMSA pistol, had a 14" that I sold when I bought some better silhouette pistols.

JHC

3/4 inch schedule 40 PVC plastic pipe is a press fir into the 16, 20, 24, and 2 liter bottles. Add duct tape over the bottom end to keep the integrity of the bottle and notch the pipe to clear the front sight of a standard weight (not bull) barrel...

I aint sayin' as to how I know this..........lol

A bolt action or single shot 22 rifle can be well silenced by pressing an irish potato onto the end of the barrel. You just get one shot but it is a quiet one.

This is from a friend who poached squirrels out of the Kansas City Park system for many years.

A bolt action or single shot 22 rifle can be well silenced by pressing an irish potato onto the end of the barrel. You just get one shot but it is a quiet one.

This is from a friend who poached squirrels out of the Kansas City Park system for many years.

Wouldn't that be akin to sticking the barrel in the mud??? :huh: Sounds like a good way to split/bulge a barrel.

So, no one has really answered the question, DOES IT WORK????? Not that I plan on putting it to any real use, just curious. I mostly never tried it cuz I didn't want to clean gunk off my gun. :lol:

JHC

I think noise comes both from the rapid gas expansion, but also from the bullet, itself, if it's supersonic? I don't know how it would sound if you suppressed the expansion, but shot a supersonic bullet.

Yup. I've never fired one meself, but as I understand it any supersonic bullet (at or above approx. 1100 fps) will make a sonic "crack" even when suppressed. Obviously a revolver is gonna have cylinder gap blast as well. If you don't think that is significant lean your trusty .44 Mag against your leg and touch off a shot. You'll quickly figure out why silhouette revolver shooters use that 1/2 inch thick piece of leather!

Then only time I was around a suppressed weapon was at the range one day when a local doctor (now deceased) had a Ruger 10/22 rifle and auto handgun with built in the barrel suppressors. They were really pretty scary, esp. the rifle. It sounded like a REAL anemic BB gun. Mostly what you heard was the action cycling and the bullet strike downrange. I commented "Wow, I bet you could really assassinate some alley cats with that!". He just gave me a sly grin and a slight nod. :lol:

JHC

I know suppressors are used for various military and police things. Jason Bourne seems to prefer not using anything at all, but he's a real professional.

But where they may be legal, I'd think it would be nice just so you didn't have to wear ear protection. I do wear ear protection, but then you can't hear nature around you, and I like to hear it, also. Any hunting without suppression would hurt your ears!

I know you lose a little punch with the suppressor, but I'm not sure why. The bullet is gone before the gases are then, subsequently, released at sub-sonic speeds.

Yup. I've never fired one meself, but as I understand it any supersonic bullet (at or above approx. 1100 fps) will make a sonic "crack" even when suppressed. Obviously a revolver is gonna have cylinder gap blast as well. If you don't think that is significant lean your trusty .44 Mag against your leg and touch off a shot. You'll quickly figure out why silhouette revolver shooters use that 1/2 inch thick piece of leather!

Then only time I was around a suppressed weapon was at the range one day when a local doctor (now deceased) had a Ruger 10/22 rifle and auto handgun with built in the barrel suppressors. They were really pretty scary, esp. the rifle. It sounded like a REAL anemic BB gun. Mostly what you heard was the action cycling and the bullet strike downrange. I commented "Wow, I bet you could really assassinate some alley cats with that!". He just gave me a sly grin and a slight nod. :lol:

JHC

Co -owner of my local toy store has a Ruger 22 pistol with a real suppressor he keeps at his desk- Fires it into a trap & all you really hear is the bullet hittin the trap-

Capt suppressors were once described as the "gentlemens accessory" and IIRC were common with gallery guns. They are without question my favorite accessory though expensive. If the tax stamp was $5 instead of $200 for each one they would probably be a lot more popular. Even with a supersonic bullet like the 223 the location of the shooter is masked very well. Add in reduced recoil/muzzle jump because of the device weight and the mechanics of the process and you get quicker followup shots. In an AR platform it smokes the brass and makes it looks really odd. Can take any of my guns to the range but threading the "can" on to one of them really gets folks attention.

Aunt Jen never run any loud versus quiet tests over the chronograph but it sounds like a good excuse to take one out to the range. I do know at 100 yards there is a drop of about 2" in the M4 profile AR when the device is mounted.

Archived