SASS Wire Forum

Hot Weather non Alcohol refreshments

Doc Windshadow

these sorts of drinks have different names in different parts of the US but I will use the names I learned to love them by they are of course similar to the father of this sort of thing the Soda float

Purple Cow;

6 oz of Vanala Ice cream and 8 oz of grape soda mixed in a frappe machine (amount of Ice cream and soda in all these ro be adjusted till you can just barely suck the result through a straw a spoon should not be required

Black Cow; the same but with Cola

Brown Cow; done with root beer

Orange Cow: Dito with Orange soda but there is a version done with Orange Sherbet and orange soda

And of course variant to Chocolate milk... the simple Vanilla Milk which is just very cold whole milk wit a few shots of Vanilla sirup mixed in but these days you need to make your own Simple sirup and flavor with real vanilla extract to taste as the sirup is no longer sold in these parts

those are some of my favorite variants other than the common 'shakes' (which today when sold by fast food outlet are concoctions of the chemists lab rather than what I coild by from the soda fountain when I was a kid...

so what are your favorites from ye olde soda shop?

I think she called it a Gulf Breeze Cooler, but it was lime sherbet, Sprite and crushed ice, mixed in the blender. Kennedey's Drug Store, in Apalachicola, Florida. Had the only "real" soda fountain I've ever seen, in person.

No idea if it has a name, but a good ginger ale, or better, ginger beer, with pomegranate juice. About a 3:1 mix.

Failing that, limeade with mint and fresh ginger. Add a splash of ginger beer or carbonated water, or even tonic water, for some fizz.

I also like to fill a mason jar bout 1/3 of the way with ice, pour in cold coffee and ice cold milk, about 1:1, sweeten to taste. Put the lid on and shake like heck for a few minutes. Take lid off and enjoy.

Cold dill pickles!!! Instant relief, and not loaded with sugar, which is actually bad for you in extreme heat because it makes your body work harder to process (not to mention what it does to the teeth and other parts of the body). The same applies to alcohol, made with lots of sugar. I know, not what ya wanted to hear, but that's the facts! :D

Fresh squeezed Lemonade with a minimal amount of suger is a back-up.

No idea if it has a name, but a good ginger ale, or better, ginger beer, with pomegranate juice. About a 3:1 mix.

Failing that, limeade with mint and fresh ginger. Add a splash of ginger beer or carbonated water, or even tonic water, for some fizz.

I also like to fill a mason jar bout 1/3 of the way with ice, pour in cold coffee and ice cold milk, about 1:1, sweeten to taste. Put the lid on and shake like heck for a few minutes. Take lid off and enjoy.

I have enjoyed a Ginger Cow Made in Bermuda with Ginger Ice-cream and Goslings Ginger beer but they added a shot of Goslings Black Seal rum to it and garnished with a slice of lime

Cold dill pickles!!! Instant relief, and not loaded with sugar, which is actually bad for you in extreme heat because it makes your body work harder to process (not to mention what it does to the teeth and other parts of the body). The same applies to alcohol, made with lots of sugar. I know, not what ya wanted to hear, but that's the facts! :D

Fresh squeezed Lemonade with a minimal amount of suger is a back-up.

Finished one as I read this :lol: Cucumbers are coming in. Bought some lids and getting ready to make some pickles, soon. :)

WHY wud one wanna drink anythin withOUT ALKEEHALL???????/

Some of us don't drink ALKEEHALL or alcohol ether for that mater, so you can drink my share OK boss

Okeedookey

you all right Boss I don't care what they say about you :lol: :lol: :lol::D

Yeah....Why wood ya want to go and do somethin' like dat fer ? :unsure:

DAT JUST AINT RAT !!!!! ;)

well...awl start off with a 'Dust Cutter' (6 oz. tonic water with 1 oz. lime juice over ice in a tall glass)but Vodka always seems to find its way in. ;)

Archived