SASS Wire Forum

Firearm Suppressors

While going thru my suppressor/silencer patents for the "Gunsmoke/Silencer" thread, I came across some interesting and historic patents some of you might be interested in.

If you look closely, you can see this first one was designed for a miltary type front sight.

First Military Rifle

The first patented design utilizing wire mesh/screen as baffling.

1st WireMesh

The 1970 design of Col. Mitch WerBell - it was the predecessor of the Scionics design for the MAC-10 & 11. Though interestingly - nowhere in the patents that I have, does the 'can' that is closest to the barrel and filled with eyelets from Tandy leather show up. Though there are some of his later suppressor patents, I have not been able to get images of. Appears to be the first use of 'helical' internals.

Col. Mitch WerBell

For getting very close and personal - not much in the way of accuracy.

For Hitmen

A 1986 design that is still the basis of a lot of suppressors currently on the market.

Later M-16 suppressor

Not very cost effective, and not that quiet in its original form. But with some creative tweaking, made a decent suppressor for high power rifles - with a bipod.

Machinist Nightmare

Then there was always the screw-on fitting that allowed one to attach an empty 2 liter coke bottle to your barrel.

Tull

Don't forget the Idaho potato.

It's not just for dinner. :lol:

Howzat?

A reasonably effective suppressor.

Only works for 1 shot though.

A reasonably effective suppressor.

Only works for 1 shot though.

And ruins the main ingredient of a bowl of Cajun Garlic mashed potatos

I have no idea if this actually worked..... but a mechanic I used to work with told me that he had taken an old single shot 12 ga.... drilled holes in the barrel, slipped a bycycle tube over it secured with hose clamps. He said it made a huge difference.... again it is a 'story'. :ph34r:

Interesting that the Mason (the 2ed in your post) in its drawing seems to be mounted on a High Standard HD Military .22 LR pistol and with its dates of Oct 1944 filed But not issued till Aug of 48 I wonder if this is not the Standard OSS issue Silenced pistol of the war?

Interesting that the Mason (the 2ed in your post) in its drawing seems to be mounted on a High Standard HD Military .22 LR pistol and with its dates of Oct 1944 filed But not issued till Aug of 48 I wonder if this is not the Standard OSS issue Silenced pistol of the war?

OSS Pistol

Bob, I had one of these issued to me in RVN....

Could you make and fit one of these Mason units to a High Standard HDM and then do the paperwork and pay the fee to the ATF or do you have to get it all made from that outfit that has the advert in the article? that is someone who already has the paperwork to build and sell silencers> be nice to plink in my backyard again

I have the HDM and a well equipped machine shop but not the $2.500 to buy one all built

Doc Windshadow -

Interesting that you picked up on the Mason/OSS High Standard connection.

Ten years ago, my research indicated that Mason did indeed base his design on the already existent OSS High Standard suppressed .22 - which because of its newness and wanting to keep the design a secret, was not patented by Donovan and the OSS.

But, to avoid conflicts, Mason designed his suppressor with the internals slightly off center [towards the top]. From reports that were available at the time, the OSS version was slightly quieter than Masons version.

Plus, the design itself was not that good - just cheap and easy to make. With all the wire mesh surrounding the barrel, it leaves little room for the gases behind the bullet to escape into. Though once the gases got into the mesh, it was harder for them to get back into the barrel. Plus, powder residue clogged up the mesh, and frequent cleaning to restore efficiency was required.

One other down side to the mesh - frequent firing resulted in the mesh internals becoming distorted, and in some cases breaking apart - unraveling. Those small pieces would sometimes find there way into the barrel, via the holes that had been drilled, causing accuracy problems, and in some cases actually blocking the barrel - catastrophic failure.

Tull

Could you make and fit one of these Mason units to a High Standard HDM and then do the paperwork and pay the fee to the ATF or do you have to get it all made from that outfit that has the advert in the article? that is someone who already has the paperwork to build and sell silencers> be nice to plink in my backyard again

I have the HDM and a well equipped machine shop but not the $2.500 to buy one all built

No. That would result in you having an unregistered silencer. A little thing that is good for ten years in the Federal lockup and a quarter million dollar fine.

You can, however, fill out the "Application to make a firearm", pay the 200 dollar tax, and then when you get permission back (your Form 1 with the tax stamp on it), then AND ONLY THEN you can make your silencer and attach it to your gun.

Always remember, when dealing with any NFA item. Permission FIRST, then do it.

That is, if the state of Maine will allow you to own a silencer. Most states will, as long as it is registered with the Feds. Some states won't.

Archived