SASS Wire Forum

silencer in gunsmoke

Trigger Mike

just when did they invent the silencer? IN the episode The 4th Victim some guy carries his 30 caliber lever action in a bag, puts it together and then puts a silencer on it before shooting it.

The first "silencers" were developed in the early twentieth century. I've seen that episode before, and scratched my head about that and the .30-caliber levergun. The timeframe in Gunsmoke generally seems to fluctuate around the 1870's and 1880's. What gun could it have been?

EDIT Actually, this episode must take place in the 1890's because it is mentioned that Doc and Matt have both been in Dodge for roughly 20 years. Of course, the timeline is pretty fluid, much like any long-running series and much like many westerns.

The first "silencers" were developed in the early twentieth century. I've seen that episode before, and scratched my head about that and the .30-caliber levergun. The timeframe in Gunsmoke generally seems to fluctuate around the 1870's and 1880's. What gun could it have been?

EDIT Actually, this episode must take place in the 1890's because it is mentioned that Doc and Matt have both been in Dodge for roughly 20 years. Of course, the timeline is pretty fluid, much like any long-running series and much like many westerns.

I figured they just rant out of plots and threw in modern technology so folks could get into it. At least I now know what happened to Quint, he moved to california. I missed that episode.

Maxim 1909 patent suppressor

Maxim 1910 patent suppressor

You are right Buckshot, and he also had the 2nd patent issued for a SUPPRESSOR, issued 13 months later.

In light of what this thread is about, I found it interesting that his patent drawings showed the suppressor being used on a lever action firearm.

As to when they were actually invented - disregarding patents - that would be hard to determine. A number of attempts to suppress the sound were made prior to 1900, but were not successful enough to market or patent. The Davis Gun Museum in Claremore, OK., had a 1898 Borchardt [G. Luger design] with a 'can w/baffles' attached.

Tull

Archived