SASS Wire Forum

Any Ford Experts?

I've got a 1984 F 150 in perfect condition with 34,000 original on it.

It started stumbling pulling away from stop signs and now it kills at every one.

I replaced the fuel and air filter with no positive results.

Anybody have any idesa?

Thanks

Ned

Howdy Ned,

As stated you might clean the carb and run some BG through it. Has the fuel filter been changed? You might have someone check the choke. Some of those trucks ( I had 2) had problems with the electric choke acting up. It's probably something simple. Those were good trucks overall and there are times I wish I still had one. Especially when spark plugs on the late models can cost over $1000 to have changed.

Regards,

CBG

Ned,

The choke would only be an issue if it were remaining closed, in which case the truck would run rich, (lots of black smoke, poor performance, smell like gasoline, heavier fuel consumption). This sounds more like the accelerator pump has dried out and shrunk or split and torn thus not giving the system that little extra shot of fuel when you step on the gas. Remove the air filter and with the engine shut off, look down the carb bores and operate the throttle linkage. There should be a steady small stream of gas squirting down the bores of the carb through most of the throttle stroke, starting when the throttle blades, (butter flies) first move.

There is also a power valve in most Ford carbs that adds some fuel as the vaccuum drops on acceleration. If this has failed it will usually leak excess gas into the system, but in some cases it gets hard and stops working which stops the extra fuel from getting into the system.

Also check to see if the distributor has a vaccuum advance. If it does and that is not working you can have some of the same symptoms.

Finally you should have the plugs and plug wires checked. I've had several cases where they were breaking down electronicaly and causing hesitation and stalling.

It's not rocket science, but a fair knowledge of ignition and fuel systems is a good thing.

I had a 72 F-150 with a 460 in it. When it ran for awhile, like going somewhere on the freeway it would DIE. A real pain on Houston Freeways!! After sitting on the side of the Freeway, maybe 15 min. it would start-up and go for sometimes days before doing it again. I worked at a Goodyear store and the mechanics there tried everything nothing worked! Finally a District Rep from Akron Ohio was visiting the shop doing a check-up on our store my truck was in a bay with me and a mechanic trying to figure out what to do next. He asked what were doing, I told him the trouble, he went to the parts dept, got a new coil, told us to put it on...fixed it! It had an intermittent short, when it got hot enough it would quit putting out!

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

How's the accelerator pump? It is carbureated, right?

Mustang Gregg

[da old Ford guy]

Blackwater gave you good advice, I'll add that a coil that is failing will give intermittent faults for a while, but that as it heats up it will fail. Check for moisture under the distributor cap, a weak spring on the rotor button and a cracked distributor cap.

Another thing to check is an exhaust restriction-I did once see a mud daubber's nest in the exhaust pipe of a car that had been sitting

Nothing about those trucks that is too terribly hard to fix or replace. Good luck

With it running bad at stopped/idle, I would be first looking for a vacuum leak ;)

And check the acelerator pump in the carb.

When was the carb. last rebuilt? IF, it's been more than a couple of years, then rebuild it.

Also, make sure the nuts are TIGHT on the carbs base.

Respectfully,

LG

With it running bad at stopped/idle, I would be first looking for a vacuum leak ;)

And check the acelerator pump in the carb.

When was the carb. last rebuilt? IF, it's been more than a couple of years, then rebuild it.

Also, make sure the nuts are TIGHT on the carbs base.

Respectfully,

LG

Yea, it could be sucking air!

You could also look at the magnetic pick up coil within the distributor and Ford did have an issue with their ECU's a number of years ago on Pick 'em up trucks....

Archived