SASS Wire Forum

As Rat Dog sleeps at my feet...

Deja Vous

I think back about all the dogs I have owned in my life. I had one as a child, a beagle cross that was so sweet... She loved me and protected me ... but she was a horrible cow dog.. lol.. Later on we got a coon hound the black and tan kind.. and that dog out ran me .. lol.. He died on Newburg Rd a long time ago.. I saw him being hit by a car. The Chrysler plant brought a lot of traffic to our once remote way of life, and they took my dog, and my pet coon ...

After that I had a dobie.. never meant to have one.. I was looking for a cattle dog.. but at the Puppy MIll the guy had sold his last Queensland. As I was leaving I saw this little black and tan doggie who was huddled in the sun shaking. I found out he had mange. The guy was going to have him put down since no one wanted him. I think he had my number was the real truth. So, I bought the dog, took him home and dipped him in sheep dip to clear up the mange. The dog was a junk yard dobie.. lol.. No tail but floppy ears. He was not mean really, but he would protect me to the end. And if you came over to visit you were not leaving until I said so, or he said so.. lol.. From there it was Queensland. My dobie Pete was 12 when I had to put him down. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I was thinking that losing them on the road was hard, it was nothing compare to that. I doubt myself to this day. You know he might have lived if I would have just tried a bit harder seems to rest in your mind.... So, I went to queenslands and a Leopard dog from OK ( catahoula).. and a shephard... The shephard was 12 when I put her down .. and she was in my arms when my vet did it. The leopard dog went to the T ranch, after he tried to attack my best pal. And the queensland disapeared one night and never came home. He was old and I am pretty sure is still chasing coyottes in AZ in the moutains.

Now, I have Rat dog.. she is 8 or 9 and getting grey... and I often wish I could have just 20 more years with her. Dogs have healed my heart, warmed my feet, tickeled my toes, filled my heart with unconditional love, and made me laugh for decades. Each one has been so unique. The one thing they all had in common was they loved me no matter what. And I loved them no matter what right back. I could be upset with them for tearing up my best heels for work, and in 5 seconds they would have me laughing and on the floor playing with them. Dogs seem to know how to tell you a story with their eyes and hearts so you know they did it by mistake, or because it was just too much fun.. lol People have that ability too... we just have forgot how to use it.

I promised Rat Dog on the way to CA I would take care of her, no matter what. My dad is willing to take her if something should happen to me. So, Dogs.. or cats if you are a cat lover.. Are they not the best things in your life?

And at times I feel like need to treat people like I treat Rat Dog. Give them the freedoms to just be them, and to ask before I get upset what their motives were, and to always rememmber I am nothing without them.... I try to do that.. but I am soooo farrrr from perfecttttt.. Ron White I am using your echo voice.. lol

Good to see ya Deja!

Yup, I do love the critters too.

In fact my daughters cat is telling her 'Grumpa' (that's me) that it's time for me to head to the bunkhouse and give her treats. She has me trained well.

g'nite

Grizz

Good to see ya Deja!

Yup, I do love the critters too.

In fact my daughters cat is telling her 'Grumpa' (that's me) that it's time for me to head to the bunkhouse and give her treats. She has me trained well.

g'nite

Grizz

Good to see you right back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah,.. Cats came be testy.. lol... God gave his creatures the best qualities.. I would love to be dog like really..

Great post. I've has a Cocker Spaniel that got hit by a car, a Wire Haired Terrier that simply disappeared, two Dandy Dinmont Terriers, four Springers, A Golden retriever and Buddy. Several were/are rescues including Buddy who is a 100 lb Sy. Bernard mix. Also had two plain mutts. Having had so many different breeds and mixed breeds I can tell you the best breed is the one you have. They are all loyal to a fault, and unconditional love on four feet. I simply can't imagine life without a dog or two in it.

Bugs

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Hey Deja, I too am a dog lover three dauchounds in the house and a Vizsla on the outside, I'm not religious but dog spelt backwards is GOD who gave us these creatures to hold love and pamper them. I send more on dog treats then I do on liquor LOL

Regards to you and RAT Dog

your pard

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Deja: We just had to say good bye to our 12 year old Boxer named Banshee. He was my son's dog and we got him when the son went off to college. We didn't give him back. He was the best dog we have ever seen, fearless looking yet sweet and gentle. We miss him terribly. Havn't decided on another one yet but I am sure there is one in our future. Dogs are priceless.

Frazee

I think back about all the dogs I have owned in my life. I had one as a child, a beagle cross that was so sweet... She loved me and protected me ... but she was a horrible cow dog.. lol.. Later on we

<SNIP>

And at times I feel like need to treat people like I treat Rat Dog. Give them the freedoms to just be them, and to ask before I get upset what their motives were, and to always rememmber I am nothing without them.... I try to do that.. but I am soooo farrrr from perfecttttt.. Ron White I am using your echo voice.. lol

We are blessed when we take a pet into our lives - we get to experience the rare example of unconditional love.

Don't borrow the future, don't cling to the past - just live NOW.

Learn from your friend, and live life as it should be lived .. here, and now.

SC

Great post. I've has a Cocker Spaniel that got hit by a car, a Wire Haired Terrier that simply disappeared, two Dandy Dinmont Terriers, four Springers, A Golden retriever and Buddy. Several were/are rescues including Buddy who is a 100 lb Sy. Bernard mix. Also had two plain mutts. Having had so many different breeds and mixed breeds I can tell you the best breed is the one you have. They are all loyal to a fault, and unconditional love on four feet. I simply can't imagine life without a dog or two in it.

Bugs

Ahhh thanks Bugs... wow.. 100 lbs.... I dont go for the 100 lbs pets as they take me for a walk and they hog the bed.. lol My father has always had a dog. Now he has cats.... his DR told him to not own a dog because when he loses them his heart breaks... I dunno.. to me I would rather have lived and loved then to have never loved at all.. just like they say... the losses are very hard.. but life without my Rat would be so lonely. She is at my feet right now.. cuz my lap is t oo boney.. lol. She is happy to see me, loves me as I am.. gives me a kiss when I don't expect it.. and is my heart ... When she does something wrong an I get unhappy with her the look on her face removes my dismay. I can not stay made at someone who makes me laugh.. nor can I stay mad at someone who gives me those "eyes".. like Rat does.. lol.. She has ruined more shoes, more pairs of neverminds, and more times than not she has decided to scratch the darn out of me with her dew claws in the middle of the night.. but without her in my life I would miss the wake up calls to the real world.. lol.

Hey Deja, I too am a dog lover three dauchounds in the house and a Vizsla on the outside, I'm not religious but dog spelt backwards is GOD who gave us these creatures to hold love and pamper them. I send more on dog treats then I do on liquor LOL

Regards to you and RAT Dog

your pard

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Hey Black cat I got the article.. thanks so much for that... And yes... I spend a bit more on dog treats than booze too.. lol.. but I am working on being able to drink at least one drink .. and Rat is trying to help me. The other night I bought a beer... lol.. she drank most of it.. lol

Deja: We just had to say good bye to our 12 year old Boxer named Banshee. He was my son's dog and we got him when the son went off to college. We didn't give him back. He was the best dog we have ever seen, fearless looking yet sweet and gentle. We miss him terribly. Havn't decided on another one yet but I am sure there is one in our future. Dogs are priceless.

Frazee

Yes, they are FRs I would not want to live life without them in it.. Rat will not live forever.. and I know that.. and chances are I will outlive her.. But while my heart will break in losing her.. I will look at the good times we had .. and what I would have missed if I did not have her. The only dog I about cried over when I lost was a puppy. I got the baby dog from a rancher friend in AZ. They told me she had her shots.. and the next t hing I knew she had Parvo.. the ranch store did not store the vaccine right was the problem.. but hey you live and learn they didnt do it on purpose. Anyhow she was with me only a few weeks, and died in my arms on my front porch on a Sunday. Sat t he Vet told me he could do nothing for her, I gave her the electrolites.. and that was all I could do.. Sunday night I could not reach him.. he was on the reservation treating horse.. Yeah he was my horse vet, but I trusted him.. and when I called him on his moble he told me she was destin to not make it. So, she died in my arms.. I called her Alleys... She was a brindle Catahoula dog.. For days I whispered her name under my breath.. thinking I should have got her a vaccine any how.. just in case.. So sad and hard having a baby dog die wrenching in your lap... My pal Brad sat and watched in silence.. there was nothing he could do.. and he was crying as he watched us... A story I rarely tell, as it makes me see her in my mind again..

We are blessed when we take a pet into our lives - we get to experience the rare example of unconditional love.

Don't borrow the future, don't cling to the past - just live NOW.

Learn from your friend, and live life as it should be lived .. here, and now.

SC

You are right Shadows.. Memories are a great part of life because we learn from them, and we build our heart on them. But we can't dwell in the past or the future can never happen. Pets do present that unconditional love that we all desire... people are less forgiving.. but we all really do try I think.

Mr Murphy is 125 lbs, he doesn't hog the bed, he has his own couch to sleep on :D

I don't blame you one bit.. lol.. when I lived in MO my neighbors would send Rotts over to spend the night with "RATS".. lol.. Which meant that Rott dog would sleep with me and Rats.. Rat likes to be under the covers and between my legs... and Rott he liked to jump up and toss just enough of his huge body and head onto me so I could not move.. lol.. Some nights I slept on my sofa.. and he would on top of me and refuse to get down.. lol.. How can you argue with a huge dog?? lol

Murphy is pretty good, if you say 'excuse me' he will move out of the way most of the time.

Murphy is a gentleman.. lol.. Rottie was a hood.. lol.. He was a funny guy. .he and Rat dog were a pair.. I did like the protection part of the larger dog.. but hey, my space is only so big and he took up most of it.. lol

Dogs are the best! I adopted a shelter/rescue just over 5 months ago, a 4 year old female Jack Russell terrier. While this was my first shelter/rescue dog (and it won't be my last!) it's my third female Jack Russell. All three have been great and everybody who meets my current one remarks on how lucky I got when I adopted her and I couldn't agree more. I am continually amazed at how well she fit into my life with a absolute minimum of fuss on either of our parts.

Archived