SASS Wire Forum

Hey Model Train guys

Utah Bob #35998

I finally dug my 1954 Lionel set out of it's hiding place. Now all I need is to photograph each car in detail and try to get them appraised and sold.$$

Lionel Train Set

Bob, you can take the info off the cars, tender, and engine and look em up on ebay. I suspect that ATSF box car is the best. Often the accessories (signs, water towers, etc.) are worth more than anything else. Dang they were/are fun. :)

Bob,I'd bet there's a model railroad club somewhere near you.Most of those members would know of a reputable dealer/appraiser you could contact.When my Dad passed away in 04,he left behind a HUGE collection of mostly American Flyer and a few Lionel and some HO stuff.All totaled he had close to 2500 engines and rolling stock;along with probably at least a 1/4 mile of track plus switches etc.I contacted a dealer in another town and when I told him what I had,he beat feet over here with his...I guess..."blue book" of train cars.When all was said and done he wrote out a very sizeable check....loaded it in his cargo van and went home.Dad had 1 box car that appraised at $700,would have been more if he had gotten the box it came in.So,ebay buyers want a bargain...kind of like garage sale goers.

I finally dug my 1954 Lionel set out of it's hiding place. Now all I need is to photograph each car in detail and try to get them appraised and sold.$$

Lionel Train Set

O.K. here is my guess:

2035: 2-6-4 engine/Tender. Based on the picture about $40.

6257: SP Caboose. About $4-40 depending on which version it is.

X3464(A) AT&SF 63132: About $18.

6462: About $11.

2456 Lehigh Valley, built 1948 only. about $11.

Double Hatch Tank Car: I can't find anything on this one as all the tank cars had some type of decal/ markings on the side. They run $11-18.

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

UB , had one just like it and played with it a spell.

Gave the set to my oldest son and he played with it.

Now my grandkids play with it and it still runs.

Would'nt take a million bucks for it !!!

UB, please keep me updated, I have a box full of old model train stuff that came out of my grandparents house that I need to deal with at some point. Right now it's buried so deep I'm not sure where it is.

Grizz

O.K. here is my guess:

2035: 2-6-4 engine/Tender. Based on the picture about $40.

6257: SP Caboose. About $4-40 depending on which version it is.

X3464(A) AT&SF 63132: About $18.

6462: About $11.

2456 Lehigh Valley, built 1948 only. about $11.

Double Hatch Tank Car: I can't find anything on this one as all the tank cars had some type of decal/ markings on the side. They run $11-18.

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Thanks JJJ.

And here's a pic of me playin with it back in the day.

1954 :lol:

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Howdy, UB:

I'd say hang onto it, Pard! My opinion only though.

I'm a train guy too. My grandpa got me an American Flyer S gage back on Christmas of '58. I still have the train & photo of that night. I have been asked about selling the set, but as long as I can keep up with the bills, I'm keeping it.

I now have a bunch of 1980-to-current HO trains in the western railroads (DRGW, BN, BNSF, MKT, UP, CNW) to get set up when I can find a permanent place. Right now I have a 4.5' X 18' table upstairs in the gun shop. But I ain't laid no track yet.

BTW: Still in Afghanistan. :mellow::wacko:

MG

I just ordered the Disney Carolwood Pacific set a couple of days ago. Will post some pix after I get it..

curley

Ya 4Trod I should have got it at that train show we went to I could have saved a few bucks.

curley

Utah, One can't put a price on memories and items we had as a child. Having the picture along with your original train set is priceless. Many times items at train shows, I hear someone say, "that's the train, or set I had as a child", and buy it. Its not what they had, its a replacement for what they had and want to relive their youth. You have the rare chance to relive with the actual set you received as a child. And thats priceless.

The set you have is one of the more common sets, and condition would lower it more. I see the picture shows many Lionel accessories, these alone would bring a good chunk of change.

Instead of selling, put it in a cabinet and admire the memories, they're priceless. MT

Just MHO, and worth what ya paid for it - MT hit the nail on the head - keep it!

Utah, Short, true story about a train set, and the memories that were and are still there. My younger brother age 5, was going on 6, received an Allstate Train set, diesel, not expensive, but a train set with all the accessories, Christmas of 1960. Boy was he happy, played for hours under the tree, didn't even want to go to Christmas Mass. We set the train up in our room and he would play for hours, then when I came home, he would ask me to play with him. Then in February of 1961 he died of encephalitis. The train set was packed away in my closet top shelf. For years, each time seeing it would bring back wonderfull memories, like he was still there, waiting to be put on the floor and run. Later when I went into the service and few times I came home, first thing I would do, was go to the closet and look at the train set on the top shelf. Even years later when I got married and we would come to visit mom and dad, I would make it a point to look in the closet and see the train set. Exactly as it was packed years ago after my brother died. Then one day when I came to visit, it was no longer there, my mother had given it to a toy drive for the needy. It was hurtfull, yet thinking someone was enjoying it, face to the floor, watching it go around and around, was worth it. I had an emotional time at a train show were I seen a similiar set, same cars, colors, box, and accessoies, and great memories came again of a time long ago. I thought about buying it, but the feeling wasn't there.

That's what train sets can do, give memories, things that other toys just don't seem to give, or emit. You remember the day it was given, watching it run for endless 100s of miles from city to city, all alone in the confines of a small oval, yet larger in the minds of a child, it was an empire.

Keep it! You'll never regret it. MT

Bob,

I have that same set and a bunch of extra cars, locomotives, switches and the like. My folks gave them to me for Christmas and birthdays for years. I bought a number of other peices over the years, including a similar starter set for my son. Now I've got grandkids who are just about old enough to enjoy them and this Christmas I want to set the whole thing up in my son's basement.

If I were you I'd keep them and hand them down, or find some young lad or lass to spoil with them.

I understand the desire to keep memories alive but I have no space to set this up or display it without building another shed. No grandkids to pass it down to either. It's been boxed away for years except when my nephew used it as a child back in the early 70s. That's how it got beat up. I have track sections but not many accessories. I do have a bottle of original smoke pills which are probably classed as toxic now by the EPA :rolleyes:

So it's off to the auction block I reckon.

Now If I still had those old cap guns and my Davy Crockett cap, I'd keep them but alas they're long gone. :(

I understand the desire to keep memories alive but I have no space to set this up or display it without building another shed. No grandkids to pass it down to either. It's been boxed away for years except when my nephew used it as a child back in the early 70s. That's how it got beat up. I have track sections but not many accessories. I do have a bottle of original smoke pills which are probably classed as toxic now by the EPA :rolleyes:

So it's off to the auction block I reckon.

Now If I still had those old cap guns and my Davy Crockett cap, I'd keep them but alas they're long gone. :(

Understand! We can't keep it all. I've seen some that built a shelf complete with enough track to hold their set. Looks great up on the wall beneath say a shadow box with your tops, baseball cards, marbles, capguns,comic books, etc.

Understand! We can't keep it all. I've seen some that built a shelf complete with enough track to hold their set. Looks great up on the wall beneath say a shadow box with your tops, baseball cards, marbles, capguns,comic books, etc.

Comic books are called Graphic Novels these days. :lol:

Hi Bob ,

Nice memories there and a great picture . Put them on Craigs list for a hundred bucks which is a fair

price for an end user . A dealer would give 35-50 for them in that shape . BTW the smoke pellets are

actually a very refined wax . You can eat them with no harm but the smoke itself might be somewhat toxic

if you inhaled enough . BP smoke is almost as good as the smoke from them :-) .

Regards,

Train Robber

Do you still have the accessories?

I think I only got one house back from my sister when her boy was done with it.

I have track and switches and the power unit.

Archived