SASS Wire Forum

Any 1858 Remington shooters out there in Cowboy land

I got a question about the hammer and the cylinder. On the cylinder there is a half cock notch between the nipples. When the hammer is lowered into this notch the cylinder is locked between the two nipples and the pistol is rendered safe. To a degree, My hammer does not fit the notch and there is a turn mark on the cylinder from the top point on the hammer. It would appear that the fix is

to file a small portion of the flat just below the "beak" at the top to allow it to set into the notch.

Am I wrong?

I looked at mine and your discription and the fix make sense.

Use the file or whatever tool judiciously. Also check the width of the hammer where it should fit the notch. I had a replacement hammer that was too wide and had to be narrowed.

Howdy

The hammer on one of my 1858s does not fit into the 'safety notches' either. I never use the safety notches, so I have just left it alone. I only load five rounds and leave the hammer down on an empty chamber.

According to your wife you are always wrong! :D

Even when I am right, I am wrong. :unsure:

Badger, mayhap you should stick to shootin Buicks with your scattergun.

Buick shooting is much more fun with a pistole, Darlin'

I can do my spin and twirl and shoot out the head lights, then BAM! right in the radiator.

I looked at mine and your discription and the fix make sense.

Use the file or whatever tool judiciously. Also check the width of the hammer where it should fit the notch. I had a replacement hammer that was too wide and had to be narrowed.

What you say has merit. The hammer feels like it is also hanging up on the side of the frame. Perhaps, being a kit gun, the stuck me with a second on the hammer.

Thank you for your interest Pay Dirt.

My problem is that I am a tinkerer. I got this thing that doesn't do what it is supposed to do and it

bugs me. My problem is not worth a hill of beans, but it is nice to discuss these things here in our watering hole. I suspect that Blackwater Desperado has hit on the problem. I will have to take it apart and check the dimensions on it.

Looks like that is going to be a rainy day project. Got too many other things in the way. I am trying

to get the gun cart done so I can take it to Mima next week. Almost there. The cross bar for the rifle/shotgun rest, and few odd pieces and some paint. Then I am good to go.

I was going to prime some rifle rounds last night but I ended up sitting on the deck in our

swing, with Momma. :wub::blush:

Badger: You're correct about the 58's. The imports aren't closely QC'd like the remmie were in the old days. You got the only method I know of if you want to load six cyclinders n put them in the safety position. I've torn apart everyone I've bought and even had Klondike work on my SS's to help smooth em out. Good luck. After shooting the italian's watch your hammer for cap/nipple imprent marks. Sometimes you have to get them level again. Just a little side thought.

Badger: You're correct about the 58's. The imports aren't closely QC'd like the remmie were in the old days. You got the only method I know of if you want to load six cyclinders n put them in the safety position. I've torn apart everyone I've bought and even had Klondike work on my SS's to help smooth em out. Good luck. After shooting the italian's watch your hammer for cap/nipple imprent marks. Sometimes you have to get them level again. Just a little side thought.

Thanks Oliver. I am gonna need all the help I can get when it comes to working on guns.

I found on my '58 that the hammer is made of pretty soft metal. Some ill-advised dry firing not only smashed some nipples but it caused some mushrooming of the hammer. Enough to impeed free travel. I used a file and carefully filed the burs down from the side of the hammer and everything works fine now including the safety notches. Just a thought to look at if you have a few miles on the gun or have had a few dry fires.

Silver Shadow

Down to fitting the last few pieces to it, and then stain, varnish, and champagne to the bow.

Gonna need to figure a name for it. Maybe a name the gun cart contest.

I vote for "The Tofu Express"...

Vaya con Dios

Thanks Silver. I don't normally dry fire my revolvers. Especially one with nipples.

Given that the tightness in the hammer is down in the frame I suspect the hammer is out of spec. I don't know what the spec is, but I think I will try to remove the burr from the FRAME. The hammer, for some strange reason does not show wear but the frame does. A few passes with the dremmel and some polish might ease that problem. I still think I need to remove the tip at the bottom of the face of the hammer for some relief.

Badger, C.B. is right in this case. A good file is the tool of choice here! Take your time and try the fit every few strokes. The overhanging part of the hammer should be filed also. A little goes a LOOOOOONG way here.

BMC

PUT DOWN THE DEVELS TOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

use a hand file and emeory cloth

It don't take long to get way too much cut out of there .

CB

HEHEHEHEHE LIVE ON THE EDGE, CHICKASAW!

I wern't gonnna take off meat. Just polish it. :)

BMC

I do not know if ya know this trick ,

Use a Sharpie to color the hammer , it will make it VERY EASY to see where it is dragging , to clean it up just use rubbing achohal or wd-40 ,it will wipe right off . I use this method so I do not have to buy the high dollar stuff .

Use a candle to smoke a barrel , for fitting a stock .

CB

BMC

I do not know if ya know this trick ,

Use a Sharpie to color the hammer , it will make it VERY EASY to see where it is dragging , to clean it up just use rubbing achohal or wd-40 ,it will wipe right off . I use this method so I do not have to buy the high dollar stuff .

Use a candle to smoke a barrel , for fitting a stock .

CB

I can try that Chickasaw. Thanks.

Archived