SASS Wire Forum

Norinco Model 99

Hello all.

Anyone have any experience with the Norinco Mdl 99? Good bad? I have a chance to buy one for 250. I just can not picture it in my mind the only one I can think of is one that had the hammers at an angle, but I seem to remember it being a CIA.. Any help is appreciated. Thanks all Muleshoe

As I recall, the 99 was the same gun later called "IAC", a hammered double, heavy as a tank, with SOME specimens having soft or short firing pins. The locks were heavy and crude, the wood soft as butter, causing things like the forend latch to sink in and eventually get so it would pop out upon firing, etc. The hammers were straight, fairly wide set, making one-handing both of em nt practical for most shooters. They are coil spring locks, so somewhat reducing the hammer effort is possible, but too much reduction will result in less than reliable ignition.

I started out with an IAC coach gun, IC/M chokes, which I believe is the same critter. It served for maybe 4 years. I replaced one FP that was soft, fixed the forearm latch by building up the soft wood wit acraglass, and it ran ok for a while before the locks got so bad it doubled all by itself when one trigger was pulled. About the third time it did that I bought a Baikal hammerless, and never looked back.

FWIW I paid $179 NEW for the IAC, it had a chip in the stock at the wrist, right behind one lock when it arrived, and I ended up making a deal to get a $50 rebate and fixed it myself.

If that is the shotgun Big 5 sell or did sell I have 2 of them, I have been using the same one for 11 years, bought the second one when my son started shooting, he would still be using it but he went to an '87

I have no complaints

We donthave Big 5s in central Texas.. I'll have to ask where he got it. Thanks

Yep, It's an IAC 99. I have one slightly slicked and it is just a little heavy, but nice and reliable with light hammer cocking force. The hammers are spaced about average for a hammered SxS, with the TTN the only one with substantially narrower hammer separation for single hand cocking of both. The wood on mine is decent, as well. I bought mine at Big 5 a couple years ago.

You can look for more info on Coyote Cap's website, he is selling the remainder of their production (and some modified CC specials). Cap had worked with the factoy in China (frequently traveling there) to develop all of the IAC SGs, 99, 87 and 97. The later guns were reportedly pretty good and reliable.

Cheers,

Harvey

I've had mine for several years and have not had a single problem with it! I've shot nothing but Black Powder through it. It's as heavy as a tank and I'm not very fast with it, but its fun (for me) shooting a hammered double. Have had no problems with the firing pins, but the hammer faces are starting to develope a little dimple in them. I got mine at Big 5 and I think I paid $200 for it, but that was in 2005. It's stamped with MADE IN CHINA IAC BELLERICA MA. When it dies, maybe I'll get one of those TTNs or the nice high end one that Sixgun Shorty sells (Pioneer Arms) if I can afford it.

Archived