SASS Wire Forum

40 S&W

Kiowa Kid, SASS #69870L

Howdy,

Going to load some 40 S&W for my son he has a XP, could you 40 shooters please PM some load info like powder type and bullet weight and choice of primer, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

KK

Kiowa Kid,

Go over to www.brianenos.com and get on the forum and they will give you lots and lots of load data for 40 that might fit whatever powder you already own. Actually they can't give the recipe to you over the forum but they can pm it to you.

I added the reply before I realized there was something else I wanted to say about the load data from the other forum. I think you will get lots of responses there but I might tend to go with one from the sasswire if one is offered. That may sound strange but in the spirit of cowboy shooting, and yes the 40 is not cowboy, but I think more cowboy shooters are not going to try to give you a recipe that will knock your socks off.

+1 for the loads listed as being pretty stout. I use Unique and a 180 gr FMJ or HP and that combo works the actions well (no stovepipes or failure to feed) without having a lot of recoil.

The lighter weight bullets (150 gr or so) did not work very well when I used them with my 10mm's, the 180's did so I standardized on that for both guns.

I don't recall the 40 as being particularly touchy like the 10mm was but I will check my books tonight when I get home. You know the number.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Funny thing, my brother in law first gave me a rock chucker so I could load for my .40, he set me up with Win 231 powder and Win primers. Before I ever finished that first batch of .40s, I found CAS and have now loaded thousands of rounds of .38 spl on that rock chucker, but still haven't finished that batch of .40 :D

Since I had the Win 231 I stuck with that for my CAS loads and have been happy with them.

Grizz

KK, if the 40 S&W is for personal protection ala CCW I heard that one should use factory ammo vs handloads.

Has to do with what a lawyer might make out of the purpose of the handload fer killing etc.

Archived