SASS Wire Forum

YOU CAN HELP ME OUT.

Noz

It's too hot to get out and do anything fun so I decided to load some shotgun shells. I have plenty loaded, just something to do.

I loaded about 10 or so and go interrupted. I stopped for an hour or so and went back to reloading. I decided to refill my powder and shot bottles while I was down. I did so.

Three rounds into the second shift I began to feel that nagging something that says; "You screwed up, boy!"

I had. I poured shot into the powder bottle and powder into the shot bottle. Now I have a coffee can that has enough powder for 75-100 shells and enough shot for about the same, mixed together.

I'd like to salvage both powder and shot

How would you go about it?

my dad had business cards printed up that said

"Sure, I'd love to help you out...which way did you come in?"

clean containers, and a screen that will let the powder pass but not the shot is my only idea.

What kind of powder? If it's blackpowder, screenwire sift it. if smokeless, depends on the granules whether screen sifting will work or not. Otherwise, you'll probably only be able to save the shot by taking it outside and pouring the lead/powder mix into another container from about three feet in front of a fan to blow the powder away.

Sorry, best I can do for ya.

Bodine

Fill a 5 gallon bucket about 2/3 full of water. Dump the mixture into the water. The shot will sink to the bottom and the powder will float or be suspended in the water. Pour off the water and let the shot dry. OK, you only saved half of it but it's better than nothing.

Take a cookie sheet, one with a rim on it. Place it at a slight angle with a towel under the lower end to catch bouncing shot.

Pour the shot/power mixture a little at a time on the high end and tap the sheet to make the heaver shot roll to the bottom.

Remove the shot and power and re-pete.

Don't ask me how I know this works.

Depending on the size of the shot (and the granuals of powder), a sifter or strainer should take care of the problem in short order...

Vaya con Dios

Take a cookie sheet, one with a rim on it. Place it at a slight angle with a towel under the lower end to catch bouncing shot.

Pour the shot/power mixture a little at a time on the high end and tap the sheet to make the heaver shot roll to the bottom.

Remove the shot and power and re-pete.

Don't ask me how I know this works.

As an alternative, or addition, to this, have a small fan at the bottom of the pan. It will help keep the powder from sliding down into the shot as you tap the pan. Kind of like dry panning for gold.

Grabbed a junk piece of fiberglass window screen. Poured the mix onto it in "hand full" portions. A couple of shakes and the powder fell into a waiting box. took all of 5 minutes to separate it all.

Carried the box over to the loader, raised it to pour the powder back into the bottle and hit the handle with the box. About half of the salvaged powder hit the floor.

It sounds to me like this whole thing falls into the category of "Ya cain't fix stupid".

Thanks for the suggestions.

I might've given Big Jake a call...from what he posted on THIS THREAD, he's a genuine LEAD MAGNET. ^_^

I know a few others hereabouts...won't even stand near 'em when someone is shootin'!

;)

I might've given Big Jake a call...from what he posted on THIS THREAD, he's a genuine LEAD MAGNET. ^_^

I know a few others hereabouts...won't even stand near 'em when someone is shootin'!

;)

Yeah, I know the type. I'm one of them. I bleed regularly at matches.

There is a lovely young lady that shoots under the name of Lead Magnet. Shot on the posse behind her at one of the recent LandRuns. Pretty.

;)

At 6'6" 400 lbs I catch my share of splattering lead. Big Target. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If you stand behind me, you won't get hit at all. :lol: :lol: Just sayin'

Big Jake

At 6'6" 400 lbs I catch my share of splattering lead. Big Target. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If you stand behind me, you won't get hit at all. :lol: :lol: Just sayin'

Big Jake

I'll keep that in mind if we're ever on the same posse.

;)

PWB

Big Jake

You sound kinda like our dear departed pard Gunny Sackett. :( I posse'd with him at my first EoT in Norco in '04 I believe it was. It was hot, and the boy threw a right nice shade!

JHC

Archived