SASS Wire Forum

Widow lady - 1. Burglar - 0.

Lt. Tom Collins, Newports acting police chief, said the incident was a tragedy for both the woman, Phyllis Maloney, and for the man who was fatally shot, Jordan R. Risheberger, 21, of Florence.

Why is it a tragedy for her?

Guest Kid Sopris, Regulator, #3290

Lt. Tom Collins, Newport’s acting police chief, said the incident was a tragedy for both the woman, Phyllis Maloney, and for the man who was fatally shot, Jordan R. Risheberger, 21, of Florence.

The taking of a human life, regardless of the circumstances can be traumatic. Just because its justified doesn't mean there won't be legal ramifications for the Shooter.

Until you have crossed that bridge, all the macho talk of shootin' a bad guy, is just that, talk.

The taking of a human life, regardless of the circumstances can be traumatic. Just because its justified doesn't mean there won't be legal ramifications for the Shooter.

Until you have crossed that bridge, all the macho talk of shootin' a bad guy, is just that, talk.

Especially a 63 year old lady.

Of course it's a tragedy, but I say 'right on' that a bad guy was taken out and not her. I think most of us understand that and respect that. Should go without sayin' with folks here. We don;t need to be taught thatc- maybe some do :rolleyes: I have never shot a bad guy, but will support and pray for those that have - whether it be military, LEO, or the private citizen - nothing wrong with voicing support.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

+1

I know a guy, a great guy, who blew up an abandoned gas station with a Mk19 in 2004, because the convoy was receiving fire. Six years later the burden got the better of him. :(

I'm glad she wasnt hurt, its unfortunate she had to shoot the stupid SOB but I have little sympathy for him. I would give good odds an autopsy will show drugs/alcohol at a high level in his system but unless he was force fed either or both then his actions resulted in her actions.

We had a call one evening to a small apt bldg adjacent to a local watering hole. Resident of the apartment holding an intruder at gunpoint. Officers arrived to find the nimrod half in and half out of a first floor window. Resident sitting calmly in the living room with a 12 gauge trained on the front half of dumbass while the rest of him kind of dangled out the window. The intruder was so drunk he didnt know where he was, or hardly who for that matter. Despite the fact the bar over served him to a fare thee well old numbmuts was still responsible for his actions. He was also real lucky the resident didnt shred him with the shotgun when he refused to stop trying to get in the window. Apparently the muzzle of the gun right close to his face changed his mind.

As others have said, no matter how justified, there will likely be legal, emotional, social, financial, and other ramifications.

I hope and pray that I never have to take another life to protect myself.

As others have said, no matter how justified, there will likely be legal, emotional, social, financial, and other ramifications.

Same here, but if it happens I will do ANYTHING to protect my family or myself....can imagine there will issues to deal with, but at least those I love would be alive. But of course, I pray it will never happen.

+1!

http://www.wsmv.com/...-shoots-robbers

A lady locally used a shotgun to repel 4 home invaders this past weekend. She is 68.

Right on!

+1

Emotional scar's can run deeper than any you see.

Older lady. Living by herself. Having to walk past that spot where it happened

every day??? Even ifit was a bad guy. Lots of folks would not be able to handle it. Even some of those big macho men that

talks like it would not.

+1

Emotional scar's can run deeper than any you see.

Older lady. Living by herself. Having to walk past that spot where it happened

every day??? Even ifit was a bad guy. Lots of folks would not be able to handle it. Even some of those big macho men that

talks like it would not.

Don't know anyone here that is acting like a 'big macho' man that says they would be immune from emotion scars - just seein' folks that are happy the bad guy got taken down and lending positive support to the lady who had to defend herself.

Don't know anyone here that is acting like a 'big macho' man that says they would be immune from emotion scars - just seein' folks that are happy the bad guy got taken down and lending positive support to the lady who had to defend herself.

Al didn't say anybody here was acting like that . I believe he simply meant that it's a very traumatic experience that will affect even those who you might think would be immune.

He's right. I've seen tough cops and combat vets have difficulties after a fatal encounter. They try to hide it.

I think that while there may be some temporary euphoria from surviving an incident like this, happy doesn't really enter into the equation.

It's not really possible to appreciate the complexities if one hasn't been involved in a life or death incident.. I'm just grateful that an innocent person survived and hope that the incident may serve as a deterrent for other bad guys..

GG. See the above.

As stated above emotional scars are a lot worse than physical scars. Your body heals, you may not be the same as before and may have a new story on your skin, but its rather simple all things considered. Emotional scars aren't always visible and run a whole lot deeper. They take much longer to heal too.

I applaud the lady for having the strength to defend herself. Not many have the courage or honor to stand up for what they believe in.

Sorry for the long winded and much less than eloquent way of wording my thoughts

Evil dogooder

As stated above emotional scars are a lot worse than physical scars. Your body heals, you may not be the same as before and may have a new story on your skin, but its rather simple all things considered. Emotional scars aren't always visible and run a whole lot deeper. They take much longer to heal too.

I applaud the lady for having the strength to defend herself. Not many have the courage or honor to stand up for what they believe in.

Sorry for the long winded and much less than eloquent way of wording my thoughts

Evil dogooder

Sounded good to me.

She did what she had to do. And bet she knows that. But still. It can be hard to live with after.

Even when you KNOW you was right in doing it. And that you really did not have another opition.

Sounds like she already had enough on her plate.

Lost a husband. Living alone. Fighting cancer and going through chemo.

That's enough for anyone at her age. Then add this to it.

Just pray she has a good support system around her to get her past it.

Al didn't say anybody here was acting like that . I believe he simply meant that it's a very traumatic experience that will affect even those who you might think would be immune.

He's right. I've seen tough cops and combat vets have difficulties after a fatal encounter. They try to hide it.

I think that while there may be some temporary euphoria from surviving an incident like this, happy doesn't really enter into the equation.

It's not really possible to appreciate the complexities if one hasn't been involved in a life or death incident.. I'm just grateful that an innocent person survived and hope that the incident may serve as a deterrent for other bad guys..

I understand UB - but as an 'outsider' to hear that a bad guy was taken out by a lady who acted in self defense does make me happy that he lost and that he can't do it again and again. I never would mention or imply the true victim (the lady in this case) was 'happy', I wasn't there..don't know the complete story so I cannot make any assertion to that. I know that I would not be immune if that situation was in my court and knowing myself I would be affected to some degree, but knowing my family and myself survived would hopefully bring some comfort to the situation.

A woman sends a rapist straight to the gates of Hell saving the taxpayers much money and unknown women from being raped and all you wimps can talk about about how much trauma the victim should be going through.

I worked with criminals on a daily basis for 23 years. The only trauma this lady should be going through is a paper cut on finger from opening all of the thank you cards.

Seldom. Are you calling me a wimp??? Really???

Ya might want to check yourself alittle.

Don't think anyone hear was sad to hear that a bad guy got put down.

But to question why it was also tragedy for the 63 year old lady. That lost her husband,

is living alone, going through chemo because of cancer. And then has to do what she did to

protect herself by killing someone???

And someone really thinks it might not be a tragedy for her also???

I find that statement to be one of the dumbest statements ever.

But then I am not a big macho man like you.

A woman sends a rapist straight ot the gates of Hel saving the taxpayers much money and unknown women from being raped and all you wimps can talk about about how much trauma the victim should be going through.

I worked with criminals on a daily basis for 23 years. The only trauma this lady should be going through is a paper cut on finger from opening all of the thank you cards.

I have read your posts on the subject of post shooting tauma in other threads. You appear to think it either doesn't exist or simply won't affect you personally.

I have dealt with officers who have had to pull the trigger and believe me they were suffering. They were trained experienced professionals. Perhaps you are a much stronger person than most.

As for the wimp comment...it reminds me of some of the stuff I used to see on the Political Fire when people couldn't carry on conversations without insulting.

I'm officially done paying any attention to you from now on.

Sounded good to me.

She did what she had to do. And bet she knows that. But still. It can be hard to live with after.

Even when you KNOW you was right in doing it. And that you really did not have another opition.

Sounds like she already had enough on her plate.

Lost a husband. Living alone. Fighting cancer and going through chemo.

That's enough for anyone at her age. Then add this to it.

Just pray she has a good support system around her to get her past it.

+1

Chemo drugs can also cause a person to become depressed. I too hope she has some strong folks around her to help with this situation. She's going to have a tough road for a while, emotionally as well as physically.

None of us know the mind of another. She may suffer, she may not. If she is of the mind set and it bothers her, then it's a tragic thing. If not the only thing tragic thing about it is the possible legal actions that may be taken. I've served with those who have taken lives, been there with them when it happened and after. Some it bothered, most it didnt. To me it was a unavoidable thing and Ive lost no sleep over it.

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

I agree that taking a human life can be traumatic, but that 21 year old was acting more like an animal than a human being. Besides, imagine the "traumatic" effect it would have really had on her if she would have lived as a victim of that joker.

And btw, it ain't macho talk to talk about defending yourself or actually having to do it. Whether you're a peace officer or a citizen, you have the right to defend yourself - and yes, to use deadly force in the event that you think or feel your life is in mortal danger. She must have been frightened of being killed.

She did the right thing, and now she should sleep well knowing that she did. She should be happy that she will be able to see another tomorrow because of her putting that animal down.

A woman sends a rapist straight ot the gates of Hel saving the taxpayers much money and unknown women from being raped and all you wimps can talk about about how much trauma the victim should be going through.

As I have for 30+ years, and I have a son who dispatched a thug as a rookie out of the academy. Even with justification and probable cause, someone with a soul will have issues to deal with, if they're honest.

BSD

Macho Man? No, just someone who understands the law and elements needed for self-defense.

Just like those of you who are mechanics, machincists, I.T. geeks, etc. understand your profession much, much better than I ever will.

As I said since I spent 23 years working with convicted violent felons daily I understand their thinking and behavior than most of you.

How violent? Well I was on a first name basis with serial killers, a cannabil, half dozen or so inmates awating capital punishment and large assortment of rapist including one who raped a infant.

As this thread shows we are quickly becoming a nation wimps. We place a higher value of the life of the offender and chastise those who choose not to be victim. You have allowed yourself to be convinced that taking a human life under any circumstances is wrong and to become mentality buckrupt while the offender has no remorse or regard for you.

As for the lady I don't see anything to cause her to be guilt ridden. My mother was widow, raised three kids by herself, fought cancer several times for 25 years. She was a fighter and not inclined to allow someone rape her although she would have used a cast iron frying pan.

http://www.hutchnews.com/Todaystop/rape-attempt--2

BSD, unfortunately for your son he lacks the real life experiences to help him deal with the B.S. they put into his head during training. :mellow:

P.C., Thank you for seeing my point.

However I suppose some of you believe he was just selling Girl Scout cookies in his underwear in the middle of the night. :lol:

BSD, unfortunately for your son he lacks the real life experiences to help him deal with the B.S. they put into his head during training.

Regardless of your uninformed opinion/statement, he has done very well in working through the issues that every honest person deals with. No one here has said that the baggage is a permanent thing, just something that has to be reasoned through. My son concluded very quickly that the suspect was in control of the situation and not him, and he also realized that God had placed him in that situation, knowing that he had the physical and mental ability to handle the situation. The Officer behind him was a 110 lb female that would not have survived the physical altercation that ensued before the shooting. Just a question, your comments give me the impression that you're a Corrections Officer and not a Police Officer. Am I correct?

BSD

Macho Man? No, just someone who understands the law and elements needed for self-defense.

Just like those of you who are mechanics, machencists, I.T. geeks, etc. understand your profession much, much better than I ever will.

As I said since I spent 23 years working with convicted violent felons daily I understand their thinking and behavior than most of you.

How violent? Well I was on a first name basis with serial killers, a cannabil, half dozen or so inmates awating capital punishment and large assortment of rapist including one who raped a infant.

As this thread shows we are quickly becoming a nation wimps. We place a higher value of the life of the offender and chastise those who choose not to be victim. You have allowed yourself to be convinced that taking a human life under any circumstances is wrong and to become mentality buckrupt while the offender has no remorse or regard for you.

As for the lady I don't see anything to cause her to be guilt ridden. My mother was widow, raised three kids by herself, fought cancer several times for 25 years. She was a fighter and not inclined to allow someone rape her although she would have used a cast iron frying pan.

BSD, unfortunately for your son he lacks the real life experiences to help him deal with the B.S. they put into his head during training. :mellow:

However I suppose some of you believe he was just selling Girl Scout cookies in his underwear in the middle of the night. :lol:

Seldom Seen,

You seem to be finding alot of things in posts that were not there, which makes me suspect you are just looking for a conflict. Perhaps I am a fool for taking the bait...

Nobody here has expressed any remorse for the bad guy, that I can see. In my opinion the world is prolly a better place without him. But the fact is that killing someone, regardless the circumstance, may be a very troubling experience. There are alot of vets and LEO on this forum; I imagine many of them have had to take a life. They haven't said so, and likely won't, because it is not generally considered appropriate to discuss, and because most of them don't care to recall such events. It weighs on some much more than others, but I'd guess that under the circumstances 95 percent would make the same grim choice.

I could make a blanket statement like "anyone who can take a human life with no remorse must be a sociopath", but that would be just as silly as the assertions you make.

Just like those of you who are mechanics, machencists, I.T. geeks, etc. understand your profession much, much better than I ever will.

Lets see. That old lady is NOT a convicted violent felon.

She is just a old lady that had to do something to protect herself that she may have a hard time

dealing with. She may not. But anyone that can not see that she COULD have a problem dealing with it.

Well. I just don't understand someone that don't get that.

Nobody is saying she should have not done it. Just that we understand how it could effect her.

Sure a convicted violent felon may not have any remorse. But. That old lady is NOT a convicted violent

killer. And to compare her to one is stupid.

Archived