SASS Wire Forum

WAY out question...

Okay, this came up a couple days ago, and it ain't "cowboy" by a long shot, so bear with me... :blush:

When I was 'bout seven or so (over fifty years ago :( ) I saw a movie or TV show that was kinda disturbing, and my memory's gotten a bit fogged over the decades.

Anyway, from what I can recall, there were these two astronauts ("Spacemen" as they were called back then!) who somehow were captured or otherwise imprisoned by a very pretty female from another planet. Or galaxy. Or Duluth...

So the memorable part was that she kept the thermostat set reeeeally low... and it was downright chilly in her flying saucer. Anyhoo, somehow the space-dudes managed to turn the heat up - and it cooks the "spacechick" to a cinder! :rolleyes:

Needless to say, it left a lasting impression! ^_^

Anyone up for taking a shot at what it was...? :)

Hi Hardpan.

I've been thinking about this, as I've seen thousands of films, and it's not coming to mind. Was it a feature film, or a twilight-zone episode (maybe?) or something?

Do you remember what actors might be in it? Any name that might be specific of a character or unusual concept in the film that could be used as a keyword?

Hi Hardpan.

I've been thinking about this, as I've seen thousands of films, and it's not coming to mind. Was it a feature film, or a twilight-zone episode (maybe?) or something?

Do you remember what actors might be in it? Any name that might be specific of a character or unusual concept in the film that could be used as a keyword?

Uh... nope!

Fifty-two years ago I was seven years old... I can barely remember breakfast~! :blush:

It was on TV - that I do remember... and I believe around hallowe'en time, 'cuz I do recall wanting to be a "Spaceman" that year. Ended up a cowboy, though. At least that stuck! ^_^

Oh, and it definitely was not Zsa Zsa Gabor in "Queen of Outer Space!"

Too early for Outer Limits. Twilight Zone started in 59 but I'm drawing a blank.

Uh... nope!

Fifty-two years ago I was seven years old... I can barely remember breakfast~! :blush:

It was on TV - that I do remember... and I believe around hallowe'en time, 'cuz I do recall wanting to be a "Spaceman" that year. Ended up a cowboy, though. At least that stuck! ^_^

Oh, and it definitely was not Zsa Zsa Gabor in "Queen of Outer Space!"

You slept a lot during the show? Maybe it was a dream?

(Puts on Freud hat): So are you afraid of cold women, and you feel that warming them up will liberate you? :lol:

(I'm sorry, but— I tried not to do that, but I am a teaser at heart! :lol: )

No, I'm kidding.

Normally, I remember ideas of movies, scenes from them, what they're about, even, often, the dialogue. Even after thousands of them. But that's not coming to mind. Of course, there are thousands I haven't seen, also. I haven't seen them all. And it could also be an Outer Limits episode or something.....and not a feature film.... But it's not coming to mind. It's good to try to figure it out, though, and I hope someone has a clue that leads us to this treasure.

I'm not sure which TV show theme music is appropriate for this thread. "Twilight Zone" or "Jeopardy"?

And careening into thread hijack mode, did you know that talk show host Mike Douglas wrote the Jeopardy "thinking" music? Each time it played, he collected a royalty. No kidding.

Well Shux ~ y'all been busy! ^_^

Nope, Deacon... not those. I do remember the first one, though!

No, the story is set on the star gal's spacecraft... not on a planet. And she gets cooked in the end! :blink:

And I think it would've been around 1957 or so... probably before Twilight Zone and definitely pre-Outer Limits.

Aaahhh Jen... that was SOOooo funny~!!! :lol:

Admit it HC. It was the low thermostat, tight space suit, and lady astronaut that you remember most. :wub: It warnt her burning up to cinders.

At least that's how I remember MaryAnn and Daisy Duke in my 7 year old mind. :wub:

Well Charlie... even to my young and simple* mind it did seem such a waste...! :rolleyes:

*Mind's no longer young but still simple! ^_^

1957 you say - that limits it somewhat.

Playhouse 90

4 Star Playhouse

and the most likely suspect "Science Fiction Theater"

The show you remember rings a bell, so I went thru the SFT episodes on Wikipedia, but did not find it.

Just had a major epiphany. Besides SFT, you might consider these 3 -

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet

Rob Brown of the Rocket Rangers

Captain Midnight

My memory is fuzzy also, but I am leaning towards Tom Corbett - it sounds more like their style.

Tull

Wow, Professor... talk about igniting memories!

I so clearly remember sitting with the "folks" watching Playhouse 90 - it was an event in our house! Warm memories; but almost sad, thinking that at the time they were so much younger than I am now. :blush:

I noodled through the same lists on Wiki, and tried IMDB to no avail. But Honest Injun, I didn't dream it up! B)

Hardpan -

Upon further investigation, I have eliminated SFT.

I remember your episode from a Saturday morning. Tom Corbett ended production in 1954 - BUT - was rereleased on Saturdays sponsored by Kellogs and Red Goose shoes in late 56/early 57.

Rob Brown was not shown in the Tulsa area back then. Neither was Captain Video. And Captain Midnight stayed mainly on earth.

So, by process of elimination, it pretty much had to be Tom Corbett. I just cannot find any episode guides on the internet [yet].

Do you remember an episode where the badguy was called the 'EEL' because of a tattoo he had, but they could not figure out who he was until they realized the that the tattoo was actually an ID number from a prison colony '733' - upside down. Another Tom Corbett.

Unless somebody comes up with a better idea, I am going to have to say what we are remembering was a Space Cadet show. Some of whose episodes were written by Robert Heinlen.

SFT dealt mainly with 'science' as opposed to fiction, and I cannot remember any of their shows taking place in outer space.

Tull

Hardpan -

Two more possibilities. Johnny Jupiter w/Reject the Robot - not likely - mostly puppets.

SPACE PATROL - another show canceled in 55, but later released for the Saturday morning crowd a couple of years later.

Tull

Hmm. Interesting stuff, Professor...

Looking up some of these I've recognized films (albeit vaguely!) from early childhood... and see a ton of stuff that would be a lot of fun to see now!

From what I do recall, the "mystery episode" seemed pretty serious, more for an adult audience. The sets as I remember them were simple and primitive - especially by today's standards, but it wasn't a kiddie show. In fact, it was sorta terrifying! :huh: I don' think I slept a wink that night... much like the kid in Invaders from Mars, peeking out the window to make sure some flying saucer crewed by a lady who looked like my Aunt Bea (who was quite young and cute in those days! ^_^ ) wasn't coming for me...!

Hardpan -

One final suggestion - based on the 'adult audience' you remember - "Tales of Tomorrow" - broadcast live, and in some cases VERY scary.

As to "Invaders From Mars" - I was 9 years old when I saw it at a drive-in, in Ponca City, OK., sitting in the back seat of a 53 Pontiac station wagon. Scared the daylights out of me - never played in a sandbox again.

Tull

Check this out, Professor...!

Tales of Tomorrow

You can watch many of the original "Tales of Tomorrow" online!

I was about the same age when I saw "Invaders" on TV... and it had about the same effect. I found a copy 'bout six months ago and watched it with Sassparilla Kid... funny, at age 19 he didn't find it a bit scary. :rolleyes: By the way - I though the '86 re-make was just as good! Hard to believe that it's been 25 years... and 58 since the original.

Thanks for the link to 'Tales of Tomorrow'.

I got that suggestion from my girlfriends father, who is also a fan of the older scifi shows. He doesn't remember the episode you are looking for, but is going to go thru some older material he has to see if he can find something for you.

Wonder how Sassparilla would have reacted if he was about 9 years old - sitting in a theater about 1/3 full - watching the original 'War of the Worlds' - when the martian put his hand on the girls shoulder while she and Gene Barry were trapped in the basement? I won't relate how I reacted.......................

Tull

Archived