SASS Wire Forum

Name that flick

Old Scatterbrain

A western, in color so far as I can recall, possibly starring Glenn Ford. The only part I remember is the opening sequence.

A man is walking down the street with his hands full of packages. A revolver lands at his feet, and he turns to see a young man challenging him to a gunfight. He looks at the pistol for a moment, then kicks it into a puddle and walks away.

Anyone?

EDIT It wasn't The Fastest Gun Alive; his identity is unknown at the beginning, whereas in the movie I referenced he is a notorious gunman trying to escape his reputation (gee, that narrows it down <_< ).

Also, I should deemphasize the name Glenn Ford. I think it was him, but I only saw it once a very long time ago.

EDIT Actually, it may not even have been a movie. Perhaps an episode of Bonanza? Not Gunsmoke; we didn't get that channel. I was into my early 30's before I saw Marshal Dillon.

Trailer left out an important point, he has never been in a gunfight! Extremely fast BUT scared to fight because his father had died in a gunfight??? Think that was the premise. I always liked Glen Ford as a cowboy when I was a kid, I thought he looked the part. When it was popular for the cowboys to look flashy and gaudy I thought his jeans and denim jackets were reeeal cowboy dress and GF weren't no pretty boy sissy!

Not Heaven With a Gun and not The Fastest Gun Alive. In The Fastest Gun Alive, his identity is unknown at the beginning, whereas in the movie I referenced he is a notorious gunman trying to escape his reputation (gee, that narrows it down <_< ).

Also, I should deemphasize the name Glenn Ford. I think it was him, but I only saw it once a very long time ago.

Actually, it may not even have been a movie. Perhaps an episode of Bonanza? Not Gunsmoke; we didn't get that channel. I was into my early 30's before I saw Marshal Dillon.

I can't remember the name of the movie, but it stared Glenn Ford and I thank George Kennnedy.

Glenn played the part of a gunfidhter tring to but his past behind him and return to his wife and family.

On his way home he learns his they have been taken by Indians, and George Plays the man who wants to replace Glen in her life. The two set out to free them and bring them home.

The scene recalled is at the end of the film, after saveing the wife and kid George challenges Glenn. when Glenn kicks the gun away and walks off, george is going to shoot him and a bartender shoots George to close out the movie

Disregard earlier post, my bad. I believe the movie in question is Day of The Evil Gun.

I can't remember the name of the movie, but it stared Glenn Ford and I thank George Kennnedy.

Glenn played the part of a gunfidhter tring to but his past behind him and return to his wife and family.

On his way home he learns his they have been taken by Indians, and George Plays the man who wants to replace Glen in her life. The two set out to free them and bring them home.

The scene recalled is at the end of the film, after saveing the wife and kid George challenges Glenn. when Glenn kicks the gun away and walks off, george is going to shoot him and a bartender shoots George to close out the movie

You're thinking of Day of the Evil Gun with Ford and Arthur Kennedy. Ford is shot but not killed in the final scene. In the movie (or episode) in question, he is not shot, and it is in the opening sequence.

EDIT Hmm. I don't think this is the movie, but I'm not certain. I need to watch the scene in question to be certain.

As I recall, the scene you are describing is the final scene from Day of The Evil Gun. Glen Ford is challenged by Arthur Kennedy. Glen Ford has just traded his revolver for new dresses for his wife and Daughters. As Arthur Kennedy draws on Ford, the shopkeeper shoots him with Fords gun.

As I recall, the scene you are describing is the final scene from Day of The Evil Gun. Glen Ford is challenged by Arthur Kennedy. Glen Ford has just traded his revolver for new dresses for his wife and Daughters. As Arthur Kennedy draws on Ford, the shopkeeper shoots him with Fords gun.

Yeah, you guys may be right. Not sure. I need to watch the scene to be sure.

This is one of those many, many movies I have seen numerous times, but never in its entirity. For some reason I tend to see bits and pieces of movies.

Yeah, you guys may be right. Not sure. I need to watch the scene to be sure.

This is one of those many, many movies I have seen numerous times, but never in its entirity. For some reason I tend to see bits and pieces of movies.

You may recall in the scene leading up to the showdown, Glen Ford trades his gun to the shopkeeper. The shopkeeper,played by James Griffith, tells Ford that it is an "evil gun", thus, the title of the movie. By the way, Day of The Evil Gun and Fastest Gun Alive are two of my all time favorites.

Archived