SASS Wire Forum

Ramline stock on Marlin 336

Doc Fill 'Em 67797

I've got an old Marlin 30-30 I'm fixing up, the wood is pretty banged up so I got the Ramline synthetic (plastic) stocks for it. The buttstock is hollow and feels cheap. I've heard of people stuffing them with old t-shirts or packing plastic bags in them. I was thinking sand, then a layer of Acraglass or epoxy to seal it. I want something that's got a little weight to it, but not too heavy. Anybody done something similar?

Once I decide what to fill it with I thought I'd pour epoxy over the filler until it's level with the end, then after it's cured put on a Pachmayr recoil pad.

I would think that using a formed and fitted piece of solid wood, then imbedded in the wood chips/glue slurry to secure it in place, would be the best answer. A total fill of chips and glue slurry could get pretty heavy, I would think.

RBK

If ya wanna go fancy, a boat supply will have epoxy resin in decent quantity, and a thing called "micro-balloon". It is a substance made of hollow spheres, very light and fluffy powder, you can mix with epoxy to make a "putty" as light and fluffy as mayonaise in it's uncured state, and weighing about the same as soft pine when cured. Might cost ya $35 for enough epoxy and a bag of microballoon.

Sand is heavy and can get loose unless tightly packed.

Silicone caulk is half the density and would be easy to insert. It would never move nor get into you action once cured.

How about a can of that Foam you buy at the hardware store, which is used to seal cracks and such around the house. It expands, and won't add any uneccessary weight.

Snakebite

How about a can of that Foam you buy at the hardware store, which is used to seal cracks and such around the house. It expands, and won't add any uneccessary weight.

Snakebite

YUP....I have lightened stocks by drilling them out and then filling the void with foam. Been doing it for years. Careful with the foam as it adheres to 'everything'. Carefully mask off parts you don't want covered. The foam expands.... try it in a soda can first to see how it reacts.

Deacon

Thanks for all the replies. The thing is, I want to have some weight, about equal to the wood stock. Without some weight, it is nose heavy. So, the foam and such will fill the stock, but won't weigh enough, that's why I was thinking sand.

Thanks for all the replies. The thing is, I want to have some weight, about equal to the wood stock. Without some weight, it is nose heavy. So, the foam and such will fill the stock, but won't weigh enough, that's why I was thinking sand.

Use the foam and add some shot to get the weight that you want. You can distribute the shot so that the balance is just what you want. The foam will hold it in place.

Snakebite

Archived