SASS Wire Forum

Henry Big Boy

Takoda Ray

I am just curious.What action is the Henry Big Boy rifle based on and are these used often in the cowboy action sport? I have a new 1873 but was contemplating a back-up in the future,way in the future.How reliable are they ,etc?

The samples I have seen are well-built and would be great as a trail gun for huntin'...for CAS I'd opt more on a '92 as a back-up. The Big Boy is heavy and not the fastest-of-the-pack.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Out of the box it is very smooth, but it wont be fast.A smith has been working on the henry for about a year.I dont think he has gotten it any faster.My 92 will go to Nate and be my backup.I am getting a 73 that should be here today or tomorrow.

Well if you want a really ugly rifle that doesn't represent any gun from the old west, a gun most gunsmiths won't touch, with no race gun parts available, then the Big Boy would be an excellent choice. Why do this when there are such other good choices?

Thank you guys. You convinced me.My first intuition for a back-up was an older Rossi 92.I think I will keep it that way now.

I am just curious.What action is the Henry Big Boy rifle based on and are these used often in the cowboy action sport? I have a new 1873 but was contemplating a back-up in the future,way in the future.How reliable are they ,etc?

Have only shot a Big Boy once. Borrowed from a friend. Ran ok, fairly smooth, but compared to a '73 seemed pretty slow (to me). Have heard of others having issues but my experience was ok.

BUT

I think a backup should be as close to your main match gun as possible. same feel, same weight, same "pointability", same sight picture, same smoothness etc. Otherwise you will always have some "learning curve" when you switch back and forth (if needed). I cannot think of a worse time to deal with differences in two guns than with only 3 stages to go in a State, Regional, World or monthly match (with bragging rights on the line)!

I recognize that a backup is by definition not gonna be used quite as much as a main match gun but even if it becomes your practice gun it should still be pretty similar.IMHO

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Save the money you will spend on a Rossi 92 and when you have extra in the cookie jar, buy a used 73 as your backup. FWIW, I shoot a 73, and have never had to call on a "backup." The 73 rarely has a problem that can't be solved between stages. YMMV :)

Thank you guys. You convinced me.My first intuition for a back-up was an older Rossi 92.I think I will keep it that way now.

=========================================================

You can't go wrong with the Rossi 92. It's a good, solid, dependable rifle with virtually no quirks that I'm aware of, and the price is most reasonable. It's not picky about ammo and will feed SWC's, truncated cones, and RNFP's with equal ease. I've had mine since late '06 and it's never let me down.

Guest Dusty Feller, SASS #20010L

I simply don't know of any top shooter who uses a 92.

Yes, there may be a few of them so let's not get crazy here.

Most top shooters use a Marlin 94 or an 1866 or a 1873 replica from whomever.

When I am at a shoot, and there is a problem with a rifle, it seems to always be a 92.

Some people love them!!!!

Some people swear by them!!!!

However, look at all the top shooters in your area and make a list of what they use; then you might want to follow their example.

If most of them use the 92, go for it. But, I will betcha that few, if any, use it.

I have a new 1873 but was contemplating a back-up.....

I started SASS with a Henry Big Boy. LOVED that gun. But I've since switched to a '73 for a variety of reasons. Even though I don't shoot one anymore, you'll never hear me bad mouthing the Henry Big Boy. They're high quality guns and Henry's customer service is second to none.

That being said, my opinion on back-ups is that you should be able to switch to one at a moment's notice and not even notice it. For that reason I'd STRONGLY suggest that you find yourself another '73 that's set-up exactly the same way as your current one. That way you won't have to "learn" a new gun in the middle of a match.

Believe it or not the Rossi 92 is one of the most popular CAS rifles. I base my statement from the fact that I sell more lever wraps for the Rossi 92 than all other lever action firearms combined, with the exception of the Marlin Cowboy.

Roy

My thoughts on a back rifle are that it should match your main match rifle as closely as possible. With that my main rifle is a 73 in 357. My back up is a 73 in 38-40. Both have the same action job and short stroke kit. They feel and function identical. As far as 357 vs 38-40 I can't really tell a difference shooting them other than it irks me to loose 38-40 brass. 38 special that brass is like cockroaches.

The Henry Big Boy is very similar to the Marlin internally.

It can be run very smoothly out of the box. Unlike the Marlin it does not like the screws overtightened, especially the lever screw.

The internal parts can be polished on a good buffing wheel and the action will fly with the best of them with factory parts.

Unlike the Marlin, aftermarket parts are not available. A single piece firing pin would be wonderful. I made one out of soft steel to see how it would work. I was amazing how much it improved the feel. however I couldn't use it for live fire. Along with a lighter hammer spring it can be a real joy to compete with. You just have to get use to the length of throw of the lever.

Good luck to you!

Wow,lots of good stuff here.All of you have brought up some very good points that never even ran across my mind.I sure do appreciate all your offered opinions and the reasoning behind them.

Believe it or not the Rossi 92 is one of the most popular CAS rifles. I base my statement from the fact that I sell more lever wraps for the Rossi 92 than all other lever action firearms combined, with the exception of the Marlin Cowboy.

Roy

Hmmm...that MIGHT mean that Rossis have a lot of sharp edges on their levers..... :blush:

LL

Well if you want a really ugly rifle that doesn't represent any gun from the old west, a gun most gunsmiths won't touch, with no race gun parts available, then the Big Boy would be an excellent choice. Why do this when there are such other good choices?

Because it’s MADE IN AMERICA using American parts and labor by a company that cares about their customer, and knows customer service. Just try to get the same level of service from one of those Italian or Chinese companies.

Sure a 73 will out run it after a short stroke kit and a $500 gunsmith bill. And don’t forget with those 73’s that you will need three of them: one to shoot, one for a back up and one waiting months for service

Remember when you are crying about lost jobs in this country that you were part of the problem not the solution

"Way in the future" is good. get used to the guns you have and after you have seen and tried a lot of other rifles, make a decision if you want to.

I've been shooting CAS for 10 years and never needed a backup rifle. Just my experience. ;)

I am taking the summer off to do other things. Once back in then saddle in Sept, my main rifle is my original '92 in .38-40 (FC and FC duelist) with my backup being a tuned Rossi '92 in .38 Special. I actually shoot the Rossi at lost-brass matches (wonder why?).

My nearly new 1873 Uberti has not warmed my heart as much as I thought. I have had the factory parts tuned and am thinking about a third-gen kit so that it more closely matches my original '73, but it is likely going to be a safe queen that never goes anywhere.

Before you go buying a whole new gun as a backup, remember that much of the '73 action can be changed in less than 10 minutes. I would opt for replacement carrier springs, extractor springs, screws, sights and lever pins. This would cost about $125 or so and be the equivalent of a backup. It would also fit better in your cart.

The Henry is an interesting gun but one that I have never seen in the hands of the better shooters. I am sure that there are some very good shooters that have them, but I do not see them in the hands of many shooters of the matches that I attend or the CC photos.

Because it's MADE IN AMERICA using American parts and labor by a company that cares about their customer, and knows customer service. Just try to get the same level of service from one of those Italian or Chinese companies.

Sure a 73 will out run it after a short stroke kit and a $500 gunsmith bill. And don't forget with those 73's that you will need three of them: one to shoot, one for a back up and one waiting months for service

Remember when you are crying about lost jobs in this country that you were part of the problem not the solution

Marlins are made in America too!:D

Because it’s MADE IN AMERICA using American parts and labor by a company that cares about their customer, and knows customer service. Just try to get the same level of service from one of those Italian or Chinese companies.

Sure a 73 will out run it after a short stroke kit and a $500 gunsmith bill. And don’t forget with those 73’s that you will need three of them: one to shoot, one for a back up and one waiting months for service

Well you got the "made in America" part right........ :P

Hmmm...that MIGHT mean that Rossis have a lot of sharp edges on their levers..... :blush:

LL

Howdy Pard,

Not that I have noticed. I believe what the reason behind it is the cost of the rifle compared to other CAS type rifles. The lower the cost the greater the audience. I don't own a Rossi but the consistant quality that I have seen is impressive.

Roy

Roy

People here on the wire bad mouthed the T-Bolt until tauras stopped importing them. They are now being smithed by Dallas and are working great. Marlins are now said to be bad and in need lots of work to be used. The question is r u only looking at going fast. If u are in it just for that(not throwing any stones) then buy a 66/73. Does the Henry hold up ,does it shoot to p.o.a. Do u like the way it looks and feels to u. If these are all good then buy it and enjoy, we keep throwing stones and we will have such limited choice on guns that u pick only this revolver, this shotgun and this rifle. How many top shooters use stock guns, none a couple ? How many shoot what they like and still go fast even if it's not the "popular" gun! Lets see Lassiter with a lightining, Time to get off the soap box and get a drink. Buy what u like

I bought my .38/.357 Henry Big Boy because it was American made and it was $700 shipped from Davidson's. (My wife also approved because she said it was the most beautiful rifle she had ever seen) It was very well made and very smooth right out of the box. I had some initial feeding problems, but they disappeared with a minimum 1.5" cartridge OAL.

I keep shooting it, partly to piss off the "it doesn't resemble any historic rifle" crowd, but mostly because I have become very fond of it, and have no plans to replace it no matter what the top shooters use.

People here on the wire bad mouthed the T-Bolt until tauras stopped importing them. They are now being smithed by Dallas and are working great. Marlins are now said to be bad and in need lots of work to be used. The question is r u only looking at going fast. If u are in it just for that(not throwing any stones) then buy a 66/73. Does the Henry hold up ,does it shoot to p.o.a. Do u like the way it looks and feels to u. If these are all good then buy it and enjoy, we keep throwing stones and we will have such limited choice on guns that u pick only this revolver, this shotgun and this rifle. How many top shooters use stock guns, none a couple ? How many shoot what they like and still go fast even if it's not the "popular" gun! Lets see Lassiter with a lightining, Time to get off the soap box and get a drink. Buy what u like

+1 Colt. You are spot on!

Out of the box, my Marlin Cowboy was unusable. Slicked up, it is a pleasure to shoot. My Henry Big Boy shot nice out of the box. It is considerably heavier then the Marlin, but it feels good and fits me well and that brass is so purdy !

I am not a world class competition shooter; the limiting factor is not the rifle. It is me, the shooter. It does not matter which rifle will cycle 1/10th of a second faster if i lose 5 seconds fumbling with my shotgun shells, miss a bunch of shots or get a P because I didn't follow instructions. To improve my times, I work on staging my guns, reloading my shotgun quickly, my transitions from one gun to the next and visualizing how I will move within each stage.

So I say shoot what you like and have fun !

I guess you could say I made a mistake when I bought the Big Boy Henry. The guns is heavy for me out on the front end. I have an artifical shoulder joint. The gun sure is pretty and made well. I have had bullet feeding problems . For me round nose works best of all because I tilt the gun cycling the action. I don't want to, but have to because that is the only way I can shoot with the shoulder. I like the gun, I don't regret buying it and customer support is great. Talked to owner on phone twice. Gun is smooth but not a race gun. I am going to buy a 73 short stroke gun soon. I just want one! but one pard on the thread said it best. The other guns maybe faster by a mile but if you fumble the shotgun shells and mess up with something else it's on the clock. Don't worry about it, just shoot the best you can and have fun. When it gets too serious you loose sight of the real reason where doing this. We are all in our second child hood stage, me I always liked cowboys now I am one.. Seems like allot of money spent for a ribbon or maybe a belt buckle if your good. In this messed up world it doesn't mean anything to anyone else, just you have fun....

And don’t forget with those 73’s that you will need three of them: one to shoot, one for a back up and one waiting months for service

Horsefeathers! I've been shooting the same .45 Colt '73 Border Rifle for a main match rifle for fifteen years and have never needed a backup. I have other rifles, including '73 Border rifles in .357 and .44-40 for when I want to shoot something different, but the .45 has been my go to rifle 90% of the time over those years. I have no idea how many tens of thousands of rounds have been fired in that time. I have replaced the extractor once and had the tab on the bottom of the bolt replaced once and that's it.

Hi ya'll. I have a Henry Big Boy .38/.357. Its been leaning against the home security control panel in the closet for say about 3.5 years. Pretty gun but I prefer my 73 n my 94. But hey it was a good idea at the time.

Shoot what you bring!!

Archived