SASS Wire Forum

Going to the Movies

My wife & I went to see "Cowboys & Aliens" this afternoon at the local AMC chain. Not much to say about the film itself except that it had cowboys in it and was generally entertaining. The point of this thread however is about the "theater experience" these days.

I'm old enough to remember when one wanted/needed to get to the theater early enough to have some choice of seating. Once seated, the theater was dimly lit, the curtains covering the screen remained closed and you could carry on a conversation with your companion(s). When the lights went down, there might be a cartoon (yes I'm that old) and a few minutes of previews. If you were at the drive-in, there would be an ad about the snack bar.

Years later, movie houses discovered they had a captive audience and began to run ads -- slides -- for realtors, movie trivia quizzes, etc. etc. Regardless, you could still pass the time in conversation until showtime.

Today's experience from the time we sat down 20-25 minutes before showtime was a non-stop bombardment of ads like you see on TV, literally screaming at you in full surround sound THX or whatever. When showtime arrived, we were treated to another 15-20 minutes of movie previews. After the previews were more ads touting the theater chain. By the time the main feature began, we had been under siege of a blinding, eardrum-busting marketing barrage for close to 45 minutes. By the time the whole affair was over, we were exhausted.

We have a big screen TV purchase planned for later this year so we can replace the 15-year old Sony. Next time, I think we'll wait the 6 months or so until a feature is available on DVD and skip the theater experience altogether.

My thoughts from the porch here in Kansas. :)

Yes, I agree it's true. The whole thing has degraded into an expensive media storm. And they don't even try to get people to keep their feet off the seats, like we used to.

But on the positive side, we tend to have better projections, better sound, and better seats....

I'm not sure I like it better, but I do still enjoy it. Staying at home is kind of isolative; the movie theatre experience is nicely social.

Might be datin' myself here but I remember that too !!

Both sides has it's pro's and con's . :unsure:

I can put up with the adds and previews, but I can't stand the boorish behavior of some patrons. That's the main reason we rarely go to the movies any more.And when we do, we only go to the EARLY matiness. Worked well 2 weeks ago when we went to see Super 8. Only 5 or 6 other people there.

Didn't turn out so well yesterday when I went to see Captain America. No less than 3 people near me had their feet up on the seats!

My wife & I went to see "Cowboys & Aliens" this afternoon at the local AMC chain. Not much to say about the film itself except that it had cowboys in it and was generally entertaining. The point of this thread however is about the "theater experience" these days.

time the whole affair was over, we were exhausted.

<SNIP>

We have a big screen TV purchase planned for later this year so we can replace the 15-year old Sony. Next time, I think we'll wait the 6 months or so until a feature is available on DVD and skip the theater experience altogether.

Can't argue with your logic. I'm fixing to get a 60" plasma next year to replace my 42" plasma - won't sit in a theatre for love or money . . . . .

SC

Can't argue with your logic. I'm fixing to get a 60" plasma next year to replace my 42" plasma - won't sit in a theatre for love or money . . . . .

SC

I opted for a 60" led, I think it is. I don't know why, but my research at the time suggested it over plasma.

I don't know which one is really better.

I can put up with the adds and previews, but I can't stand the boorish behavior of some patrons. That's the main reason we rarely go to the movies any more.And when we do, we only go to the EARLY matiness. Worked well 2 weeks ago when we went to see Super 8. Only 5 or 6 other people there.

Didn't turn out so well yesterday when I went to see Captain America. No less than 3 people near me had their feet up on the seats!

+1

I rarely go anymore other than to take my little ones (noise from the audience is a part of the deal in those). I've been known to tell cell phone users to STFU and that makes my wife uncomfortable. People speaking on the phone, or discussing what's about to happen irritates me, so we do our watching at home.

I'm not all that old, mid-50s, and didn't go to the movie house all that often, we lived about 3/4 of a mile from the drive in. Sometimes we went, most often my brothers and I would make a big bag of popcorn and some jugs of Kool-aid and walk over and sit on the edges of the burn trench behind it (where they burned all the trash people threw out, and watch it through the wire fence. Times I did go to the movie house went in, bought some snacks (mostly for cover for the stuff I brought in), sat down. Eventually the lights went down, we got maybe three short "coming attractions" clips, a few ads for some local businesses, two cartoons, a movie, intermission, a snack bar ad, coming attractions again, and the second movie.

I rather dislike the experience now, for the reasons the OP gave. Too loud - except for the dialog! The special effects sounds and the sound track blare out to put a battery of 12 pounders to shame, and the dialog that lets you follow the story is whispered.

TV shows are getting like that too, all the stuff that used to be background is now in the forefront and what the actors are saying is relegated to the background. Frustrating.

On the very rare occasions we go to see a movie, my wife goes to see it first so she can enjoy it. Then we go together so she can tell me what was said when I miss it. The last one we went to was the last Lord of the Rings film.

Well, I'm not as old as some of you all, but I remember all that stuff too.

I've only got a 52 inch LED, but that's big enough for me...for now. Actually wind up watching the 28in LED more in the kitchen, closer to the snacks, the big one is in the basement that the kids have taken over for now...that will change when we finally get this house ready to sell and sold and get into another house, it will be on the main floor then. Kids will get the old 31in tube set or buy their own.

It may be that we have a locally owned theatre here, but we getthe "let's all go to the lobby" jingle, followed by the movie trailers, then a little piece about not talking during the movie and a request to turn off cell phones, then the movie. Other than the request for cell phones, my wife says it hasn't changed since she was growing up.

If only the popcorn, soda and candy prices had remained the same.

these days I go only 2 or 3 times a year and take advantage of the cheaper afternoon prices and I call the place and find out what the actual film start time is to avoid all the pre who junk

The problem is they do not have ushers any more and only one projectionist per 6 screens or so... all to save money so the behavior of the patrons gets worse and worse with folks talking during the show cell phones etc

I have a 6 year old 52 in plasma and I also enjoy the use of CC to catch all the dialog home viewing is for most films better these days exception being "event" films I guess

I remember when I could go to the theater with 50 cents in my pocket and get 2 movies, cartoons, popcorn and a soda! :lol:

Now a days I wouldn't go near a theater. The people for the most part are rude, the ads obnoxious, and the prices beyond exorbitant!! :angry:

Netflix

+100%

Also allows me to follow the dialog with the closed captions. The whole family went to see Harry Potter on opening day. I stayed home and watched "Donovan's Reef" again. (the only movie I own)

I remember when I could go to the theater with 50 cents in my pocket and get 2 movies, cartoons, popcorn and a soda! :lol:

Now a days I wouldn't go near a theater. The people for the most part are rude, the ads obnoxious, and the prices beyond exorbitant!! :angry:

And in the movies, I used to sell popcorn for 15 cents. People got their soda from a machine that dispensed a little cup, for a quarter..... I enjoyed them both.

Nowadays, I could spend 6 dollars for a box of popcorn, and if I ask for a medium, they ask me if I'd like to upgrade to a combo.... :angry:

I feel like they've got their hand in my pocket, as Painless would say.

As far as promos, commercials and previews go...dvd ain't much better. Last one I got musta had 15 minutes of them prior to start of the movie. Also used to be able to fast forward or skip them, but that don't seem to work on a lot of that stuff now. :angry:

Gottcha either way. But at least at home I can pause a dvd when I need to got water the flowers :lol:

When the cowboy movies were over on Saturday, we'd put a nickle in the lobby phone, call home, let it ring twice, and mom knew ta come and get the neighborhood kids. What fun that use ta be and got the nickle back. he he!

We have a movie house/ bar restaurant, you order before the movie starts and enjoy a movie and a meal. popcorn comes in a big steel bowl just like home. You have to keep the food simple becuase you eat in the dark. I like it a lot.

I have a concern about home DVDs on Bluray. Sometimes when I buy a bluray, it won't play on my home Sony bluray machine. I'm guessing it's the fineware inside the Sony. It's 2 years old. But I don't have the wherewithall or whateverall to update the fineware, so I just don't play that movie until I may some day buy another bluray with more current fine ware.

Result: I tend not to buy the bluray and get the ordinary DVDs instead.

In the great city of Moore, Ok we have a Warren theatre. A week or so out from when a movie is gonna hit I go online and order the tickets for balcony seating. The balcony seating is actual assigned seats that are HUGE and even have heat for the cooler months. I can also order dinner up there and an adult beverage of my choosing from a full bar. The cost is more, but so totally worth it to me to get there five minutes before the show starts and just walk in and sit down.

The theatre runs a fast no talking / no cel phones / behave yourslef promo and then about three scenes from upcoming movies. No adds at all. They also will come and get you and ask you to leave if you have that cel phone out during the show, even sending a text. I like that. They have no issue with you going out in the hall and talking for the whole show as long as you are not bothering other paying customers.

So, for movies I am thinking it all depends on where you go watch them.

BluRay players? I bought a Sony Playstation III and have not regretted it for a minute. Internet connected for Netflix and firmware and software updates. It has a lot of extra content as well that you may browse for free along with premium services you may or may not choose to use. Oh, and you can play games on it. All that for about a $75.00 premium over a good standard console.

I'm old enough to remember when one wanted/needed to get to the theater early enough to have some choice of seating. Once seated, the theater was dimly lit, the curtains covering the screen remained closed and you could carry on a conversation with your companion(s). When the lights went down, there might be a cartoon (yes I'm that old) and a few minutes of previews. If you were at the drive-in, there would be an ad about the snack bar.

Years later, movie houses discovered they had a captive audience and began to run ads -- slides -- for realtors, movie trivia quizzes, etc. etc. Regardless, you could still pass the time in conversation until showtime.

Today's experience from the time we sat down 20-25 minutes before showtime was a non-stop bombardment of ads like you see on TV, literally screaming at you in full surround sound THX or whatever. When showtime arrived, we were treated to another 15-20 minutes of movie previews. After the previews were more ads touting the theater chain. By the time the main feature began, we had been under siege of a blinding, eardrum-busting marketing barrage for close to 45 minutes. By the time the whole affair was over, we were exhausted.

=========================================================

That, plus ringing cell phones and honyocks who insist on talking on them or carrying on loud conversations with their seatmates, crying babies and out-of-control kids is why SWMBO and I haven't been to the movies in years. NETFLIX is the way to go, at least for us.

I do agree that the sound and commercial bombardment is over the top but there's still nothin like going to the show to see a really good flick. I like to go in the afternoon, it's cheaper and ya don't git all the $%#holes ruining the movie.

I'm goin all by myself wed. afternoon to see Cowboys and Aliens since our cowboy crew fizzled out on Sat. and I'm bringing water and a candy bar.:)

Ders dis resturant here called "Little Bit Of Texas." and as all Texicans know , aint nothing little in Tejas ! :wub: :wub:

Peanut hulls on da floor, boots and feet on da tables, and 10 songs on da jukebox fer Five cents!

Steaks and cold beer to die for. Lone Star and Pearl....and of course , Dr. Pepper !

House band cranks up, sawdust on da floor, and boot scoot !

But on Wendays nights, it movie night ! Any DVD fer $5 bucks !

Caught is.......gotta wait fer da DVD !! :angry:

Archived