SASS Wire Forum

Uberti "London" Navy vs Uberti Navy

Derby Crighton

Good Afternoon All

I just have a ponderence of the grips on the Uberti "London" Navys.

I understand the difference between the "London" Navy and the Standard Model is the back strap and trigger guard is steel vs brass.

But I also notice that under the parts list the "London" Navy has a different parts code to the Standard Model

Does that mean the grips are a different shape and/or size?

I ask for a two fold reason:

1)I am new to the wonderful sport of CAS and have only acquired one Uberti London so far and if (well we know it is when :rolleyes: ) I was to get a second C&B Navy I figured it would be good to get one with the same grip so I do not have to adjust my grip between revolvers.

Unfortunately the only other C&B revolvers in the Club are ROA or Remmingtons so I cannot compare to see with my eyes.

2)If the grip sizes are the same I was going to look at the feasibility of replacing the trigger guard on the second Navy with a brass square back for the aesthetic difference, which due to supply and demand in my area actually turns out to be a cheaper option than ordering in a Standard Model

Thoughts, comments, critiques??

There has been a conversation going on concerning this recently over on CAS City but they are talking originals. Im not an expert but I think the difference, as done by Uberti, is that the London model will have a steel grip frame and a round trigger guard. I think they offer two other '51 models?? with brass grip frames and one has a square back trigger guard. A pretty good selection of Uberti c&b Colt clones can be seen on Midways site. http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=14&categoryId=10631&categoryString=10611***19751***9511*** They occasionally run some pretty fair sales on them also. On those grips I would do as PWB suggests and call VTI, the lady is always nice and trys to help.

Derby,

I've done some grip frame swapping in the past and it's rare that the new grip frame will fit your old revolver and its wood grips even if both are made by Uberti. VTI is an excellent source for parts and a good source of information. The size /length of grips are the same for all Navy models and 1873 clones. Only the 1860 Army has a longer "plow handle" grip 1/4" longer than the navy. Technically they all will fit a cap and ball or Peacemaker frame however they will all require some fittings and screw holes may not line up if your changing from Peita to Uberti made parts.

Samuel Colt did not change the basic frame size from the 1851 Navy through 1860 Army, 1861 Navy, 1870 Open Tops, 1871 conversions to the 1873 Peacemaker. However the final pitting and polishing was done with grips and grip frame assembled on the frame so they fit correctly. Parts swapping originals or replica parts will not fit as well as a result.

Hope this helps,

Semi Conductor

...The size /length of grips are the same for all Navy models and 1873 clones...

Possibly with original Colts but not so with Uberti. The Uberti Navy brass grip frame has a "flare" towards the bottom of the backstrap. Wooden Model P (Cattleman, SAA, etc) grips and wooden grips from a brass Navy gripframe are not at all interchangeable, not even with fitting. Whether the Uberti London Navy steel grip frame & grip is the same shape as their brass version or the same as their SAA, I can't say.

G'day,

Personally I prefer the rounded trigger guard, I have found that the square back trigger guard can induce pain to the back of my middle finger. I don't get this with any of my rounded trigger guard Navy replicas(I have 5, 3 different brands).

....... just what fits my hands .....

.............. wbj ..

Archived