SASS Wire Forum

. . GOLD COUNTRY TOWN

Hi all, . . . .

Traveling this past week in the gold coutry of California,... Bored with route 88 that I've driven along a few times before ... and being in now hurry . . . I turned off on a side road . . . and I found the nicest little old "Gold Country" town. Not to be missed if you are ever traveling in the Gold Coutry. It is small, not "ghosted" all building in current use. The store is fuctional and has been continueously since 1852. The pictures are not a sampling. That is all there is of it.

The town of Volcano

And a couple of miles down the road it the Black Chasm Cave. Not a giant one like Carlsbad Caverns or Mammoth Cave,... but really fantastic and the tour only takes about 40 minutes. Well worth a visit.

Monday morning . . more pictures added, . . . population sign at the entry to town and the hotel.

The 1st producing gold mine in the country is "Goldsboro, NC !

Named the town there after it !!!

Early settlers thought that something near by looked like a volcano. It wasn't one. The name stuck.

A prospetor getting supplies was asked about the diggings deep in the southern Colorado mountains. He sed "Not much gold there, . . but there is Silver by the Ton. . . been "Silverton" ever since. :)

Valcano is not "touristed" at all. Have a sandwich in the store that has been operating since 1852. The floor might have been scrubbed once or twice since the opening. But not recently. Real character :)

Early settlers thought that something near by looked like a volcano. It wasn't one. The name stuck.

A prospetor getting supplies was asked about the diggings deep in the southern Colorado mountains. He sed "Not much gold there, . . but there is Silver by the Ton. . . been "Silverton" ever since. :)

Valcano is not "touristed" at all. Have a sandwich in the store that has been operating since 1852. The floor might have been scrubbed once or twice since the opening. But not recently. Real character :)

Well next time you pass through....give me a haller...I will buy you a cold one...you were in my back yard

Volcano is in the hart of the Motherload in Amador County...... Amador County was formed in 1854 and named after native Californian Jose Maria Amador. The first gold quartz mine in California was started in 1850 at Amador City. Jackson, the county seat, has the deepest mines on the Continent, which produced over half the gold mined in the Mother Lode.

Volcano is in the hart of the Motherload in Amador County...... Amador County was formed in 1854 and named after native Californian Jose Maria Amador. The first gold quartz mine in California was started in 1850 at Amador City. Jackson, the county seat, has the deepest mines on the Continent, which produced over half the gold mined in the Mother Lode.

Da mine I said was dug out in da 1700's.

Der was no USA or Union den .

Oops, must have been a different Goldsboro...from city website:

This community became known as Goldsborough's Junction after Major Matthew T. Goldsborough, an Assistant Chief Engineer with the railroad line. The town of Goldsborough was incorporated in 1847, and the name officially changed to Goldsboro in 1869.

If you didn't go in the St. George Hotel and sit at the bar and have a beer, you missed the most interesting thing in town.

The whole place reeks of history and the ceiling in covered in dollar bills. You write your name on it and put a thumbtack in it, and put in on a deck of cards with a rubber band. Then you flat-hand throw it up, the dollar sticks and the deck falls down.Just sayin'

Big Jake

I didn't go in the hotel. I used to spend the greater part of my life in bars. Not now. Added a picture of the hotel and of the sign with the population seen when entering town. I knew it would be an interesting place when I saw that sign :)

Went through there a few years ago. Neat place. :D

The bride and I meandered through the Gold Country/Highway 49 a few years back after some business in San Francisco. We really loved it. We started at Colonna and Sutter's Mill and ended up at Columbia. Through Placerville, Jackson, Angel's Camp, etc. This is very, very beautiful country. And the first time we encountered the Amador County wines, too!

There's a good side trip up Hwy. 4 to Big Tree State Park, too.

The bride and I meandered through the Gold Country/Highway 49 a few years back after some business in San Francisco. We really loved it. We started at Colonna and Sutter's Mill and ended up at Columbia. Through Placerville, Jackson, Angel's Camp, etc. This is very, very beautiful country. And the first time we encountered the Amador County wines, too!

There's a good side trip up Hwy. 4 to Big Tree State Park, too.

I had one of the best breakfasts of my life in Angels Camp. :lol:

Oops, must have been a different Goldsboro...from city website:

This community became known as Goldsborough's Junction after Major Matthew T. Goldsborough, an Assistant Chief Engineer with the railroad line. The town of Goldsborough was incorporated in 1847, and the name officially changed to Goldsboro in 1869.

Yup it was a differant city ! ;)

I'll be da folks der will be glad to know dey have a counterpart on da west coast and visia-versia.

I haven't been there, but I've visited Columbia, CA a few times, and it's nice. They also have a stage coach ride that gets robbed enroute.

After the stage coach ride, I saw a (real) park ranger standing there, I think it was. So I reported the robbery (straight face, like it's real). And she thought I was serious for about five seconds until she realized I was in role as a passenger on the robbed stage.

But it's a fun town.

Gold Country

Here are some shots of our trip to Nevada City and they spent 2 days in Angels Camp. We could have spent a lot more time in all them places. (our "tourguide" for Nevada City had us there and back in a bit over 24hrs.

we need more pic.

curley

To All...I was born & raised in Placerville...once called Hangtown and I grew up with all the storeys & history of the Gold Coultry

I am well versed in the history of the Mother Load mostly from Coloma to Jackson along Hwy 49...

from time to time I take friends & family on nickle tours around the Mother Load and show them were it all happened from the gold, hold ups , hangings...and were the soiled doves hanged out or were & how to pan for gold....

So if anyone ever wants a tour ( Cars or Motorcycle ) or information give me a holler I would be more the happy to show you my neck of the woods.

I also am a great designated driver for folks who what to do mix in or just do the gold country wine tasting

To All...I was born & raised in Placerville...once called Hangtown and I grew up with all the storeys & history of the Gold Coultry

I am well versed in the history of the Mother Load mostly from Coloma to Jackson along Hwy 49...

from time to time I take friends & family on nickle tours around the Mother Load and show them were it all happened from the gold, hold ups , hangings...and were the soiled doves hanged out or were & how to pan for gold....

So if anyone ever wants a tour ( Cars or Motorcycle ) or information give me a holler I would be more the happy to show you my neck of the woods.

I also am a great designated driver for folks who what to do mix in or just do the gold country wine tasting

The Mrs. and I will take you up on that sometime Buckhorn but you can forget the wine part we live in the wine country

The Mrs. and I will take you up on that sometime Buckhorn but you can forget the wine part we live in the wine country

Please do...as for the wine....my wine drinking days are over but back when I did drink I did like good wine and I always thought the Amador & El Dorado wines were best in the world.....now there was this little bodega in Spain I use to frequent ...buts that another story :rolleyes:

Hi all, . . . .

Traveling this past week in the gold coutry of California,... Bored with route 88 that I've driven along a few times before ... and being in now hurry . . . I turned off on a side road . . . and I found the nicest little old "Gold Country" town. Not to be missed if you are ever traveling in the Gold Coutry. It is small, not "ghosted" all building in current use. The store is fuctional and has been continueously since 1852. The pictures are not a sampling. That is all there is of it.

The town of Volcano

And a couple of miles down the road it the Black Chasm Cave. Not a giant one like Carlsbad Caverns or Mammoth Cave,... but really fantastic and the tour only takes about 40 minutes. Well worth a visit.

Monday morning . . more pictures added, . . . population sign at the entry to town and the hotel.

Okay.. so I am moving there.. they do have room right??? lol.

Okay.. so I am moving there.. they do have room right??? lol.

I can tell you there are some very good buys around Volcano right now....and my brother from another mother has a range less then 5 minnunts away from were Wolfgang took those photos :rolleyes:

I can tell you there are some very good buys around Volcano right now....and my brother from another mother has a range less then 5 minnunts away from were Wolfgang took those photos :rolleyes:

So.. will my bank transfer me.. and will someone build me a bank? lol

Archived