SASS Wire Forum

forend cover for 87

The hand book says a leather slip on cover is legal for double barrel shotguns, illegal for 97's but makes no mention for 87's. Shooting BP makes my magazine tube hotter than I care to touch. I have made a cover and it works well. My question is, since it is not specifically allowed, is it illegal?

Just searched through the Shooter's, RO I and II handbooks and found no mention of a leather fore end cover for a 1887. However, the Shooter's handbook states: "Any firearm modification not referenced in this Handbook is prohibited."

Sorry, Pard.

But the rules do mention you can petition to have changes added. Should be a slam dunk.

The rules are intended to prevent unfair advantages. The forearm cover on a pump could be an advantage since that is a manipulated part, but I do not see how it would be so on a lever gun. Just my $.02 worth.

This comes up now and again. We have haggled and hashed it out a few times. NO leather allowed on the forend of ANY long gun, period. No exceptions. That is the rule. So far that is the way it stands I do believe. The sole exception allowed to date is that slip-on hootus for 2rows.

The hand book says a leather slip on cover is legal for double barrel shotguns, illegal for 97's but makes no mention for 87's. Shooting BP makes my magazine tube hotter than I care to touch. I have made a cover and it works well. My question is, since it is not specifically allowed, is it illegal?

Sorry...it is NOT legal.

If ya hang on to the WOOD (instead of the mag tube) like THIS :wub:

(instead of grabbin' it like THIS :o ) you shouldn't have to worry about gettin' burnt.

;)

Archived