SASS Wire Forum

Who made Ranger rifles?

Peso Bill SR 54015

I picked up two rifles and a shotgun at a yard sale yesterday for a great price and I have one I couldnt Id, It is a single shot bolt action .22 it says Ranger M-26A made in the USA on the barrel. It looks like a copy of the Winchester single shot and appears to be pretty good quality. Can anyone tell me who made it and maybe what year? Thanks for your help.

It was probably made by Winchester for either Wards,Western Auto or Sears. They used to do that a lot back in the day.

Don't know if this helps, but Sears sold guns in the 1930's under the name of Ranger....I have a copy of the old Catalog depicting a double barrel shotgun that my Dad bought in 1930, and the price in the catalog for it was $16.95. The shotguns were made by Winchester and Stevens, but had Ranger as the Sears brand. My Dad's is the equivalent of a Stevens Model 311. I'm not too sure about the rifles, but would think they too were a Sear's item. Google has some info>...

Take a look at this:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150341

Also:

7) Ranger .22 bolt action target rifle

Details: .22 Caliber LR. Has target sights and front sight hood. No other identifying information marked on it. Judging solely by its appearance, it seems like a Savage Model 19 Target Rifle, given that “later production [was] equipped with extension rear sight and hooded front sight” (Gun Trader’s Guide, 9th Edition). These were made from 1933-1946.

History of the Ranger .22: The Ranger was a Sears Roebuck brandname made by various manufacturers. I looked up all the Sears models that I could find, and none seemed to quite match up with the version I had. In any case, this is a quality target rifle, and I’m quite certain that it was gainfully employed by my grandfather.

Update: I since determined that this rifle is in fact a Savage NRA Model 1933.

Ranger was Sears' brand until the 1950s when they went to Ted Williams. As it was a sears brand name, many companies made the different types of guns as noted in the post above. My dad spent 42 years working for Sears & Roebuck 19 in hardware and 10 in sporting goods, the rest in MGMT/purchasing.

Stevens made most of their shotguns and .22 rifles, Marlin made some of their shotguns. Winchester did make all the lever actions, both Ranger and ted Williams as far as he knows.

Thanks for this thread, I hadn't called him in a couple of weeks!

Bodine

I picked up two rifles and a shotgun at a yard sale yesterday for a great price and I have one I couldnt Id, It is a single shot bolt action .22 it says Ranger M-26A made in the USA on the barrel. It looks like a copy of the Winchester single shot and appears to be pretty good quality. Can anyone tell me who made it and maybe what year? Thanks for your help.

The closest to that model match is a Ranger M-36A. Are you positive that the model is a 26A, rather than a 36A???

Sometimes the roll printing is not all that good and possibly it can easily be mis-read.

I have checked the interchange lists of Sears, Montgomery Wards, and Western Auto. Only listings for Ranger are in the Sears model number crossover, but there is no M-26A.

RBK

No, the 36 angle won't work either because it's a repeater. I guess you can call it anything you wish, as no-one can disprove it. I can find no trace of that gun model anywhere.

RBK

Thanks for all the replys pards, the rifle says 22=22LR M36A made in the USA, its a single shot bolt action with a pull back cocking unit behind the bolt, it has a rear sight that is ajustable up & down but not L&R its a very light rifle and fun to shoot, reminds me of the one I first had when I was about 8 (I grew up on a working horse ranch so it was used a lot:.) The cottontail rabbits shook in fear at the sound of my footsteps :lol::ph34r:

Thanks for all the replys pards, the rifle says 22=22LR M36A made in the USA, its a single shot bolt action with a pull back cocking unit behind the bolt, it has a rear sight that is ajustable up & down but not L&R its a very light rifle and fun to shoot, reminds me of the one I first had when I was about 8 (I grew up on a working horse ranch so it was used a lot:.) The cottontail rabbits shook in fear at the sound of my footsteps :lol::ph34r:

Bill

So the number WAS a M36A. The Sears model 36 was a 22 repeater made by Marlin, SO, just a WAG, but I would think it possible that the M36A was a single shot version of that rifle. Possible I guess.

RBK

Archived