SASS Wire Forum

Scarey trigger pull, its to light

Sweet Jenny- Lynne

Howdy to them that might know. I have 14 year old 1875 REMINGTONS IN 44-40. one has what I thought was a worn full cock notch. I replaced the hammer with a new hammer from V.T.I. but the trigger pull is still to light I am afraid I will have an AD. What else needs looked at, sear?? and what would I do to it? Thanks. Regards Dutch Dave Holland SASS# 13585

It is kind of hard to diagnose the problem with out having the gun in hand, But I would look at he trigger nose to see if it's chipped or broken. Also it could be that the sear notch on the hammer isn't deep enough. If the trigger nose is the problem then replacing the trigger should fix it for you. Try cocking the empty pistol and push on the hammer to see if it falls, if it does, then not enough sear engagement or broken trigger nose. Good Luck with your gun fixing.

Another thing you might want to check is the trigger bolt spring. It has two arms, on bears against the bolt and the other bears against the trigger. If the spring does not apply enough pressure on the trigger it can cause a really light pull. Sometimes that spring is purposely bent a little to lighten the pull. You have to remove the gripframe to get to it. You could try bending it a little to put more pressure on the trigger and see if that helps.

A "scarey" light trigger is nothing to home gunsmith. Any trigger work should be done by someone who is knowledgeable. Take your pistol to a good gunsmith and have it properly repaired! :)

This is gonna sound dumb, I know. But does the 1875 and the 1858 both have the "hammer-spring tension" screw on the frame just behind the trigger guard? :unsure:

If it does....then a quarter turn or two to the right will also tighten the trigger pull to your liking. But, like the name implies, it also tightens the cocking of the hammer at the same time.

Archived