SASS Wire Forum

For You Cannon Cockers and Gun Bunnies

Subdeacon Joe

Thanks for the most interesting links

One of the most important lessons I learned while doing my research for my Piled Higher & Deeper (aka Phd) in history was the need to go the original documents or at list go back to as close to them as was possible

If only a resource like this had been available back then It would have cut more than a year off of my research

Windy

Thanks for the most interesting links

One of the most important lessons I learned while doing my research for my Piled Higher & Deeper (aka Phd) in history was the need to go the original documents or at list go back to as close to them as was possible

If only a resource like this had been available back then It would have cut more than a year off of my research

Windy

My pleasure. It is amazing what it available online now. And most of it is free. Project Guttenburg, The Historic American Cookbook Project, Secession Era Editorial Project, Yales Avalon Project http://avalon.law.yale.edu/default.asp

You can now do in a few hours from home what used to take months of digging in libraries and obscure archives. And then print it out for your own use.

Page with links.

Including, but not limited to, such scintillating titles as

Report of the Gun Foundry Board, February 16, 1884

On the physical conditions involved in the construction of artillery: with an investigation of the relative and absolute values of the materials principally employed, and of some hitherto unexplained causes of the destruction of cannon in service - Mallet, Robert

And, the ever popular

Report addressed to the Hon. Jefferson Davis, secretary of war, on the effects of firing with heavy ordnance from casement embrasures: and also the effects of firing against the same embrasures with various kinds of missiles: in the years 1852, '53, '54, and '55, at West Point, in the state of New York - Totten, J. G. (Joseph Gilbert

Guaranteed page turners, every one!

The middle choice Is really most interesting As the history of science and Technology was my area of expertise and this nicely illustrated tome is a fine example of mid 19th cent scholarship and a great look at the state of the art in the middle of the 19th century And I am enjoying Robert Mallet's book enormously

and I think the last will be too if I can get access to a real copy as both versions of the report to Davis (and it was most interesting to see that one of the principals of those tests at west point was a Brevet Col by the name of R E Lee) the scanning of the test an tables was first rate in both copies but also in both the scanning of the Plates at the end was mostly a useless mess

Archived