SASS Wire Forum

Movie Tonight

Aunt Jen

You know it. I think it was the best adaptation of a Clancy novel. Patriot Games being a close second.

I sure wish they would make a movie out of Without Remorse.

Good one!!

I saw that in the theater on opening night... in Vallejo, California, right across the estuary from the Mare Island Naval Shipyard - submarine base! ;)

My now ex- and I were about the only people in the packed theater who weren't bubbleheads (or at least family of.) What a great audience to watch it with~!! :lol:

Sadly... the base on Mare Island is now history. :(

You know, Painless and I are very patriotic with much of our families in the military as well, through the Cold War. We care about these topics, and thanks to the efforts and sacrifices of a LOT of good folks, we've progressed to the point where we no longer teach our kids how to get under their desks in the event of nuclear attack.

Painless knows I care about this, and I know he does....

So cheers, in this Saloon (all raise glasses), to the men and women who've worked so hard and given so much for our freedoms and our lives.

Of its kind, there are many movies that are basically perfect in what they do.

Such as

Star Wars

The Sound of Music

Casablanca

Lawrence of Arabia

China Town

Blazing Saddles

Singing in the Rain

It's a Wonderful Life

Top Gun

Patton

and

The Hunt for Red October

Don't think they have windshields...but I don't know if they use the periscope to look out underwater...come to think of it, and those depths, unless they had strong headlights they couldn't see anything anyway.

Yeah, I reckon he did.

It's a wonderful life is that Jimmy Stewert movies, right? Did thanksfiving with extended family last year, they watch it every year after dinner, I couldn't get thru it, just couldn't stand to see that poor tormented angry man.

Good one!!

I saw that in the theater on opening night... in Vallejo, California, right across the estuary from the Mare Island Naval Shipyard - submarine base! ;)

My now ex- and I were about the only people in the packed theater who weren't bubbleheads (or at least family of.) What a great audience to watch it with~!! :lol:

Sadly... the base on Mare Island is now history. :(

There are still some old guns on display in front of the Commandants House. I'm not sure if they ever got the museum for the Brown Water Navy going. The architecture, all those fabulous brick buildings, is something to see.

There are still some old guns on display in front of the Commandants House. I'm not sure if they ever got the museum for the Brown Water Navy going. The architecture, all those fabulous brick buildings, is something to see.

I was just by there last Sunday, some of the old base still does some kind of Military stuff but I don't remember what, Reserves I think. some of it is civilian warehouse and business and some of it is or will be new housing development and then some of it they just let go to hell. The moth ball fleet is just around the bend n Benica though

I was Navy, but I had a desk job at the NSA.

When submarines are swimming around down there, can they see the mountains and things that they could collide with? Or is it all dead reckoning?

When subs are running around below the surface, and also below the depth where a periscope is any use, they

rely on good maps, good inertial nav systems, and good satellite updates.

It helps if you stay a few hundred or even thousand feet above the sharp rocks . . ... .

SC

Da one and , might I add , only time I rode a sub, I was panck sricken cuz of all dem folks in dat tight space. :blink:

Remember on da mission, da Commander of da boat called fer a "periscope picknick" Never heard of such a thing.

Den , da periscope came up and we took turns lookin' out at da night stars.

One of the Best: The Hunt for Red October.

It'd been a while, and I forgot some of its majesty. What a good job they did with it. :)

Saw it opening day in San Diego. They had a special showing for the sailors at the Submarine Base. Some of the scenes were made in the drydock there and one of our diesel boats was used for some of the scenes.

The carpenter shop on our tender made the model DSRV used for the scenes.

Great movie.

Doc

:FlagAm:

Archived