SASS Wire Forum

Which 1911 best...

Aunt Jen

Guest Kid Sopris, Regulator, #3290

I thought the place to stir up a hornets nest was on the Wire?

Glock 17 is 9mm not 45 acp. No comparison imho. However, for somemone not trained with a 1911, a Glock is easier to get used to.

As for WB, Springfield Armory and Rock Island Arsenal make reliable, affordable 191s

Yes. I know calibers diff

Wondering if reliability different......

Springfield has come up... Smith n Wesson okay?

What about stainless?

Okay, I thought you were looking at price so I put down some of the low end reliable 1911s. I have a Colt and a Springfield. The Springfield is for fun and some WB shooting. The Colt is a carry weapon.

The Glock is a very reliable pistol. I carried Glocks as a duty for 15 years. So obviously I'd bet my life on it. It digests a lot of different ammo. You must ensure to keep a locked wrist when firing it though.

S&W is fine but not inexpensive.

Many of the "low-cost" 1911's are in the area of $500-600 range,

I chose the Para GI Expert because it's made in the USA and very reliable ;)

SASS seems to like it and Todd Jerritt put 1,000 rounds in 10 minutes through one.

If you want a Glock in a 45 acp, look at the G30 SF. Totally reliable too, but being small/light,

it's tougher to keep multiple shots on target.

I love, and shoot both :)

I thought the place to stir up a hornets nest was on the Wire?

She posted it on the wire. Probably thought there would be less of a hornets nest meltdown if she put it here too.

She's probably right. :lol:

.45 ACP's

Here are a few to choose from -

Top Left - ParaOrdnance p-10 w/15 round mag - concealable with 10 round mag - grip is 'fat' with those of us with smaller hands.

Top Right - Detonics Mark VI - will digest anything - excellent concealed carry - but because there is very little in the way of a 'grip safety', stay away from Hydro Shoks and other'hot loads'.

Bottom left - Kimber stainless Target II - these things are AWESOME - they are pricey, but well worth it

I have found all 3 to be on the upper end as far as reliablility is concerned - any problems have been the result of cheaper mags. The Para needed a 'tune-up[trigger]' by Jim Clark, but the Detonics and the Kimber have been good to go.

Bottom right - Foster automatic with concealed activation.

Tull

I've been shooting 1911's for 30 years and owned just about all of them. The Smith and Wesson 1911's are the best out of the box you can get for the money. Smith builds their own frame and slide and then uses the best of all the many 1911 parts on today's market to assemble the gun. Miss Cubbie and I each own one for WB. I also have a Colt and a Springfield Tactical, but the Smith is my favorite. I also have a Colt Officers Model that was tricked out by Les Baer that I carry, but that's a different animal and in a league of it's own.

Gunstock Smith

Okay, I bought one. I picked a Sig 1911, Stainless, 5". I know it's not the cheapest, but I got convinced it would have some features I'd prefer, so I did.

I agree that I could have gotten a great one for less, but I did kind of like the features.

Utah: You're right on the locked wrist for the Glock. :angry: I do GREAT with that Glock, but I do keep it stiff. If I relax the wrist, and let it rock more, it'll sometimes Jam. I think it's a first rate gun, but I did get the 1911.

I thank you for all your help. I discussed it all, the brands, etc., with someone here also, and then went with the Sig because of its availability and features.

You all were a great help. You helped get me there. :)

AJ

... For

Reliability

WB

cost?

And how would it stack up to a Glock 17?

AJ. Iphone

Well, I answered there too, (the wire that is) but I'll repeat - get a Colt.

Anything else is a copy.

How does it compare - lets see . . A steel .45 against a 9 Mickey Mouse tactical Tupperware pistol . . . . which is dishwasher safe - but so what . . . .

It doesn't.

Glock makes a fine weapon - but it's a different weapon than the Colt 1911 in .45. Period.

Shadow Catcher

I might prefer my Colt series 70 Gold Cup that I have owned for thirty years and competed with when I was much younger but Sig makes a fine weapon and really all that matters is if YOU like it!! so go have fun with your 1911!

Sig Sauers are Cadillacs.

The new Ruger 1911 has really caught my eye...

If'n I had the cash, that's what I'd buy.

I like it.

I don't believe it's legal for WB if one is contemplating that.

Sig Sauers are Cadillacs.

I hope you're not implying that they are another product of Government Motors, and thus subject

to the usual public funding to make up for quality paradigm that ensues. . . . . . :angry:

I'll take a Ford thanks . . .. . :lol:

or a Colt :lol: :lol: :lol:

SC

Aunt Jen, Sig's a good gun and yes this one you have is okay for modern WB, happy shooting, nice gun. Rye B) Sig has a great rep for reliabilty.

I hope you're not implying that they are another product of Government Motors, and thus subject

to the usual public funding to make up for quality paradigm that ensues. . . . . . :angry:

I'll take a Ford thanks . . .. . :lol:

or a Colt :lol: :lol: :lol:

SC

No. I was speaking of the 57 Caddy my dad owned.

Form, function and quality. :P

I like it.

I don't believe it's legal for WB if one is contemplating that.

It is legal in 'modern class' -

http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/RO/SASSWBHandbook_OCTOBER_2010_final.pdf -

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Sigs are GREAT! I own 2 45 auto double actions, one shorter barrell than the other and I used to carry on duty, my wife likes a Sig in 380 and I just bought and LOVE my Sig 1911-22 Excellent quality. Makes me want to get a Sig 1911 in 45.

Sigs are GREAT! I own 2 45 auto double actions, one shorter barrell than the other and I used to carry on duty, my wife likes a Sig in 380 and I just bought and LOVE my Sig 1911-22 Excellent quality. Makes me want to get a Sig 1911 in 45.

I'm wondering how long they'll go on about this over on the Wire now that you've got a gun. Prolly quite a while. :lol:

Archived