SASS Wire Forum

Which 1911?

Aunt Jen

You're asking a Ford vs. Chevy question so be prepared for more different answers than you could imagine.

My personal preference for 1911s is Springfield Armory. You get more value for the dollar than any other brand.

I personally went with a Colt. I figured if i was gonna buy a 1911 in 2011, It just had to be a Colt!

It was only about $200 more than the Remington & Ruger.

It is one of the new "100 years of service" guns (blued, 80 series) and I luv it! It has functioned flawlessly.

I wanted one for WB Traditional so the Ruger was out even though I've heard nothing but good about it. Many have said the Remingtons function great. It would have also passed for traditional too.

you have traditional and modern class, modern class can have extended beaver-tail safety and modern sights etc. and can be shot using both hands, traditional needs to have original WWI-2 era sights and beaver tail and must be shot one handed, that being said I shoot a Springfield mil-spec for traditional class, and use my kimber when I shoot modern just change the grips.

Rafe :FlagAm:

Which car should I buy?

That's how many answers you can consider.

Here is my short list.

Springfield. Rock Island.

Frankly Colt has not impressed me for the price in a long time.

You can literally spend between $500.00 to $2,500.00 on a 1911. Some of the custom shops can give you a little extra as long as you know what you really want.

I've been researching this for a few months now since I've been wanting to get into WB. I'd like a reliable modern 1911 that is reasonably priced. The ones that I am considering are: STI Spartan, Ruger, Rock Island, and Springfield. The STI is my favorite, but I haven't been able to locate one locally yet and I haven't been motivated enough to order one.

If you just want an inexpensive reliable no-nonsense pistol, it is tough to beat a Glock. I can't stand the grip angle though. I prefer the M&P pistols for the above criteria.

Howdy,

Id recommend huntin up a 70 series colt as choice one

or a springfield as a close second choice.

And you might try before you buy.

Happy hunting.

Best

CR

Extremely serious 1911 shooters will only shoot Les Baers, STIs, Strayer-Voights and Wilsons that start around $2000 and quickly go up.

An original Colt (made after 1980), Springfield (made in US only), S&W, Para-Ordnance or Kimber would be difficult to beat. I expect the new Ruger to be included in this list once they have been out for a year or so. These guns run $700 to $1100 or so for basic models.

Auto-Ordnance and Brazilian Springfields are okay but have critical parts that are forged (cruder, weaker, more variation).

Colts made before 1980 were notorious for loose tolerances and the need for tuning, though some gems do exist. You may find one of these that has had all of the necessary work done.

Rock Island, Cimarron, High Standard and any others from the Philipines come out of the Armscor factory and would not stand up to the rigors of more intensive competitions like IPSC and IDPA where a monthly match is 150-rounds plus practice. Many, many 'smiths will not touch these guns. It would be up to a shooter if they determined that the low cost made these guns sensible. WB would be much less stressful on a 1911 than other types of competition.

I like my S&W and Colt 1911s. I expect the Ruger will also be a great shooter.

Which 1911 is best for

1. Reliability

2. WB

3. Cost

And as compared, maybe also, to a Glock 17 (9mm)

I know fhe Glock is not Wb, but I just wondered how it may stack up

Thanks

AJ

A stock Colt 1911. Anything else is a copy.

If what you meant to ask is: "What copy of the original Colt 1911 is worth having for the listed reasons?", then that's different.

I can't help you there though . . . .

Shadow Catcher

Aunt Jen,

I know this is a Smart Aleck answer,"ONE OF EACH". That's just my love of this gun showing. If I had the $$ I would do just that. Since this is not possible I'm leaning to the Ruger or Springfield.

My pick of the litter out of all of them is my WWII 1911 A1 Colt. Just something about a Colt to me,mainly cause I carried one and well,a Colt is a Colt.I've had Les Baers,sold them and now have all Colts.I have a very nice new series 70 that shoots as well as my series 70 Gold Cup.Get what you want,you can make them all shoot well.It doesn't take much but practice and lots of it will be the ticket for mastering the great 1911.

I have carried nothing but Colts for 40 years off duty and for personal defense. The current crop are set up for carry, hi-viz sights, etc. and most of the others are NIB. I decided on a Remington R1 to use just for WB. It is well made, nicely finished, and it fed everything I put through it. It also is made in the USA. :)

I bought an absolutely stock Springfield GI. No bells and whistles. It shoots straght, reliably with my home loaded 200 grain lead bullets and meets all of the requirements for the traditional WB category. If I was a movie extra needing a really authentic looking WWII model 1911, I would be set. Already though, I have come to the conclusion that I ought to shoot modern because I shoot CAS 2 handed. I need better sights because my old eyes aren't up to the traditional military sights. I am thinking that I might like a cleaner trigger pull. I like my Springfield Armory GI but I am thinking about either buying new sights and a new trigger, or a new pistol for the modern category. The Ruger SR1911 looks pretty good, but I don't know anybody who has bought one. Absent first hand knowledge I am toying with the idea of buying a Colt, but I might be persuaded by something else. My SA 1911 sure does shoot straight and is tough as nails. I love the way it points.

SEE!!! You opened Pandora's box. Silly girl. Some of the answers your getting are based on prejudiced bias rather than actual performance. A lot of personal preference not necessarily based on facts. You'll spend extra bucks for C O L T and not necessarily get more gun. You'll spend lots more for custom guns from Baer, Wilson, STI, etc. that will be a lot more gun than you can actually use. Keep it simple.

If you want a full function 1911 that is comfortable to shoot, look into a Springfield Armory Fully Loaded and shoot in modern class. If you want real basic, Rock Island, Cimarron and others made by Rock Island in the Philippines will provide years of service.

Oh ........ Have fun. And, first off, throw the magazines that come with the gun away and get either Chip McCormic or Wilson Combat magazines. Most magazines that come with the guns suck.

Coffinmaker

Colt 1911

I plan to use a 1911 colt not an a1 , my father in law gave it to me. He carried it with the first marine division in the pacific in WWII. Got the original belt holster etc. Truly period correct original colt with meaning to me.

My former carry 1911 for work was a smith season and it never failed to function.

Regards

Marshal fire

my 1911

Here is my entry. I got it for a pretty good price. Picked it up new for $425. It is the Springfield Armory GI. When I got it they had a promo where I could get factory mags for $2 apiece.

I didn't like the GI grips so I got a set of walnut double diamond girps from Sarco for about $20.

It shoots really sweet.

curley

SEE!!! You opened Pandora's box. Silly girl. Some of the answers your getting are based on prejudiced bias rather than actual performance. A lot of personal preference not necessarily based on facts. You'll spend extra bucks for C O L T and not necessarily get more gun. You'll spend lots more for custom guns from Baer, Wilson, STI, etc. that will be a lot more gun than you can actually use. Keep it simple.

If you want a full function 1911 that is comfortable to shoot, look into a Springfield Armory Fully Loaded and shoot in modern class. If you want real basic, Rock Island, Cimarron and others made by Rock Island in the Philippines will provide years of service.

Oh ........ Have fun. And, first off, throw the magazines that come with the gun away and get either Chip McCormic or Wilson Combat magazines. Most magazines that come with the guns suck.

Coffinmaker

+1

Best advice so far. I will add that the Rock Island is the best value for the buck. Rocks can be found for less than $400. :)

I'd say avoid the Springfield. They are rough out of the box. Shabby finsh and do need work prior to carrying and shooting. Customer service is terrible. They do not stand behind their 1911's even when thier technicians say that the gun malfunctioned.

Others may feel different and that is okay, but this is the way I feel and that too is okay. Rock Islands are nice. I'd like to try the new Rugers or Taurus 1911's

^_^

Crosscut Jack

I just purchased a Rock Island and discovered that the parts on a Rock Island are not interchangeable with aftermarket parts . My understanding is that the Ruger and Kimber also fall into the category of parts interchangeability issues. If you want to make modifications to these guns you will pay a higher price due to extra gunsmithing involved. The only problem with my Rock Island is that the chamber is too small and now need to open it up a few thou. Would I purchase another Rock Island ? Yes Yes Yes The price was $378.00 new , accuracy is outstanding, weight and balance are excellent. As far as Glocks---I have 2 in 9mm 2 in .40 and 1 in .45. Love them Glocks !!!!!! They are ugly and look like boxes and sometimes uncomfortable to hold. Wait --- I just described me.

I'd say avoid the Springfield. They are rough out of the box. Shabby finsh and do need work prior to carrying and shooting. Customer service is terrible. They do not stand behind their 1911's even when thier technicians say that the gun malfunctioned.

Others may feel different and that is okay, but this is the way I feel and that too is okay. Rock Islands are nice. I'd like to try the new Rugers or Taurus 1911's

^_^

Crosscut Jack

Crosscut, your the first one to bring up the Taurus 1911. I've heard a lot of bad talk about them, but the one i have has worked just fine. It's the stainless one it feeds anything i but in it, my springfield won't? My 70 series colt is just my favorite, because it is nickle with sabar stag grips. It just has cool factor?

If I didn't live in SoCal, I would try out one of EMF's for sure

curley

Yup - I hear they are 100% USA made, that's a good starter for me ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I really love my Colts and everyone has been 'bet your life on' dependable right out of the box. Most carried is my old Officers Model, most fun to shoot is the Gold Cup. I have four Colts and non are for sale BUT not a one of them qualifies as my best deal in a 1911 style .45acp. That honor has to go to the High Standard I bought just to play WB with. It is one rough as a cob pistol and is a bit finicky on magazines but when used with the ones that have been picked for it, it goes pop every time. I think a fair to middlin no-name gunsmith could bring it up to par and perhaps even save you a penny or two under the cost of a Colt to make it slick but the real bargain will stay intact if you can do it yourself. It has been a long time since Colt sold a 1911 for under $400! I now have its replacement, a Colt WW1 reproduction model, but I sure paid a lot more for it.

^_^

Crosscut Jack

Just an observation on my part , but I think this is the first really negative comments that I have ever read about Springfield 1911s on this wire.

Interesting.

Rex B)

Sorry..Double Tap

1-Colt--after 100 years, Colt must be doing something right with 1911's! Look for older Series 70 Colts..IMO, the best of the modern 1911's, less to go wrong as well.Any Colt 1911 is the right 1911 though..You can not do better for a basic 1911 than Colt.Period.

2-Kimber...Accurate, reasonable pricing, deals avaialble...excellent 1911 style guns.Very well made,plus they are the sole importers of Meprolight night sights, the best on the market IMO

Understand, there are literally hundreds of 1911 varieites on the market..Only the Colt is the a true 1911 and the real deal and will always appreciate.Full size 5" are still themost popular.

Suggestion: Shoot primarily or only 230 gr hardball by a reputable maker...IMO, a waste to use expensive, 'exotic' cartridges in any 1911.. The 1911 was designed for the 230 gr hardball( derived from the 45 Schofield round, by the way) and they still work the best in a 1911..you can be relatively assured no jams. FTFire or FTfeed..plus, if 230 gr jacketed lead bullets won't put down your target at close combat yardage...Run!

Vlaue for the Dough:

Remington 1911..Highly recommended at their very reasonable price point

Springfield GI series

Rock Island (for $400 or so, a true bargain)

Non 1911 Polymer 45acp semi autos:

S&W M&P 45 acp..Fantastically simple, accurate, will take abuse, very reasonably priced, reliable as can be

Glock 21...Does it get any simpler? Replace the plastic guide rod with stainless and it will run forever...reliably

H&K USP 45 acp

Sig Sauer 45 acp

Another plus for Non 1911 Polymer semi auto 45's: Will accept suppressors easier than 1911's

In any event, I advise staying away from the very high dollar custom 1911's.

Unless you are a 1% competitor, the bacic Colt 1911 is 100% reliable, tough,man stopping and easy to operate!

Happy Birthday Colt 1911!

After 45+ years in the 1911 business I agree with Sixgun Shorty. And as for the earlier post about what "most high end competitors" shoot. BS !!! I have shot the biggest matches in the World with 1911's off and on for longer than most have been alive and I know what is on the line. You only see STI and SVI in wide body categories. And In the single stack game you see all kinds. Colt, Wilson, Brown, Baer, Nighthawk, Kimber, Springfield, Para, S&W, (usually one or two of the high end models from the preceding because a shooter is being paid to shoot it and a few others figure that must be the best because X is using it)and all kinds of customs nearly always build on Colt frames, etc. etc. There is NO doubt that there is no such thing as a GOOD, CHEAP 1911. There are inexpensive pistols that will last the casual shooter a lifetime, but even the best 1911's need redone every 15,000 rounds or so. You will never get that many rounds out of a cheap 1911 and it isn't worth the expense of trying to rebuild it. They are disposable!! You usually get what you pay for in pistols.

I am happy to report Aunt Jen came into the shop yesterday and purchased a Sig Sauer 1911.

Hi Red

Great gun, the Sig 45 1911..Excellent

The new Sig 911-22 is also the best of the lot when it comes to 1911 style .22's(One exception: Colt Ace!).I have a suppressed Sig 1911-22 that shoots like a dream and is 100% reliable

Pretty quiet, too!;)

Archived