SASS Wire Forum

FCGF

Outrider, SASS #72622

Since it's not in the rule book yet, '97 or double/ '87?

I'm pretty sure I already know but would LUV to use my '97!

Hey Outrider, I believe, it would be like bein' in a FC cat. I think that means, dbl or 87 ?

WHY

Until and unless it gets passed I would expect most clubs to use Frontier Cartridge rules. There will always be clubs (Match Directors) that, without guidelines, will use the freedom to exercise personal opinion as the rule.

Here is a question about signing up for a state match or regional: If they do not offer the FCGF cat, should you sign up for gunfighter or frontier cartridge? I guess what I am asking is which takes precedence, shooting style or powder choice? I would tend to think the shooting style, but I am not sure. My thinking is that I am shooting gunfighter, just happen to be using black powder.

Here is a question about signing up for a state match or regional: If they do not offer the FCGF cat, should you sign up for gunfighter or frontier cartridge? I guess what I am asking is which takes precedence, shooting style or powder choice? I would tend to think the shooting style, but I am not sure. My thinking is that I am shooting gunfighter, just happen to be using black powder.

Howdy, My thinking exactly I sign up Frontier Cartridge Gun Fighter, and If they have to move me then so be it ;) Love the thrill of blasting away with both guns smoking. And once in a while I get a clean shoot, slow but clean

Windy Ike

when ever I send a match application I always put on it Black Powder Gunfighter no mater what they offer, if they want to put me in something else that,s fine with me but I am still going to shoot Black Powder Gunfighter

The North Carolina BP state match allowed all smokeless categories to be shot with BP or subs. Many shooters used their '97s and had no problems. A non-BP match would likely use FC rules for FC-series of categories.

I never a good reason to have to shoot my original '87 though.

I've run several hundred BP rounds through my 97 and it wasn't hard to clean at all--only one barrel!

That being said, you can only shoot a SXS or 1887 for FCD/FCGF and meet SASS guidlines.

My $.02.

Bottom line? Go have fun.

Crusty, I think that is the way it should be done in the interim but until the category is recognized, my guess is that anything goes for FCGF (I prefer the designation BPGF) right now. On these supposed separate State Championship specialty matches, I am guessing that SASS would consider them as little more than gussied side match day events and give the clubs a free hand. Once FCGF becomes a recognized category (assumption) then it will have to follow the rules and I am thinking that equipment would be the same as current FC requirements. I know that it isnt popular to say, with our current cowboy PC thing on personal opinions, but it was a stretch to call the '97 an old west cowboy gun and advances to become a travesty to consider it a bp match appropriate shotgun. At what point do we load the 1911 with bp and make it legal, all in the guise of 'its about having fun'. My thought, let them shoot the gun but do not allow it for score, then it is truly just for fun. (but that seldom works for those who want something special allowed for their way)

Gunfighter rules which means any SASS legal shotgun. You just have to follow frontier cartridge rules as far as loads are concerned.

You would have to shoot in a gunfighter category to have both loaded revolvers out at one time.

FCGF is a hoot to shoot. I too shot it way back when before it was a real idea. I always signed up for GF and then smoked away. In my experience, a '97 isn't any harder to clean with BP than smokeless, but Canelo Kate sure doesn't like it when the occasional smokey loads find its way into hers. Something about that pop, pop, BOOM, pop that throws off her timing.

Safe trails,

CKid

If you shoot GF category, which you have to if there is no FCGF available, you shoot by GF rules.

• May use any SASS–legal main match shotgun and any legal main match rifle.

• May use any SASS–legal ammunition.

• Two standard holsters are required, one on each side. No cross-draw or “butt forward”

configurations are allowed.

OK, I'd like ta' ask, What were the rules for the FCGF at EOT this year?

I'm sure they were here on the wire, when the announcement was made,

But, I can't find them anywhere ?

Where's Mad Mike or Black Jack Traven or ? someone who shot that category? Please ?

OK, I'd like ta' ask, What were the rules for the FCGF at EOT this year?

I'm sure they were here on the wire, when the announcement was made,

But, I can't find them anywhere ?

Where's Mad Mike or Black Jack Traven or ? someone who shot that category? Please ?

Howdy Wimpy,

IIRC, same as those proposed for last year's TG Summit vote:

Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter

The category would follow the firearm and ammo guidelines of the current “Frontier Cartridge” category and follow the shooting style and holster requirements of the current “Gunfighter” Category.

You would have to shoot in a gunfighter category to have both loaded revolvers out at one time.

Or B-Western.

The Tennessee State Championship is offering the Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter Category this year.

The Oregon State Championship has offered the BPGF category for the last few years and they have allowed a ’97 shotgun to be used. They’re following the Gunfighter Category guidelines for shooting style and the Smoke requirements from the Frontier Cartridge category.

Personally, I’d like to see the Black Powder Gunfighter category (when it becomes “officially” recognized) written to exclude the use of a ’97. I’d like to see BPGF follow the Frontier Cartridge category guidelines for equipment.

Having said that; I’ll make it clear that I WILL shoot it however any match / Match Director chooses to offer it!!

My '97 is a takedown, maybe that's cheating for ease of cleanup :)

Most of the matches I go to that offer FCGF use FC rules for the guns. I have used the '97 a few times when I shoot LGF because that is all that is offered.

My guess is that if FCGF ever becomes a real catagory, it will call for a double or an '87 but until then' anything goes.

Having recently shot a Wild Bunch with a fully stoked 97, a BP Wild Bunch match would really put on a show. :lol:

Of course the EPA Air Quality folks might not like it. <_<

Archived