SASS Wire Forum

nickle plated pistols

The Little Lady has been bitten by the Cowboy bug and is particularly taken with her Taylors "Island Girls". Only problem is these are the only plated firearms I've dealt with and I need to lower the front sights, and I'm not sure if this is going to chip the plating. I assume I'll have to blue the exposed steel once the job's done.

I'm also not sure if there are any solventsI need to avoid- if I screw up these pistolas the dog and I will swap places!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,Santee

The Little Lady has been bitten by the Cowboy bug and is particularly taken with her Taylors "Island Girls". Only problem is these are the only plated firearms I've dealt with and I need to lower the front sights, and I'm not sure if this is going to chip the plating. I assume I'll have to blue the exposed steel once the job's done.

I'm also not sure if there are any solventsI need to avoid- if I screw up these pistolas the dog and I will swap places!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,Santee

Howdy,

Stay away from Hoppes #9 after and before filing the front sight, you know when you file you will break the integrity of the nickle plating and with time may start to flake.

KK

I use "Ed's Red" to clean my nickle Colts. Just don't use anything that says that it removes copper fouling. Nickle plating requires that the gun first be copper plated and the nickle applied to the copper. If your solvent attacks copper the integrity of the plating will be destroyed.

Ed's Red is made up of equal parts kerosene, mineral spirits, Automatic Transmission Fluid, and acetone.

Make sure that you have settled on your load. Heavier or faster loads will impact higher due to recoil. A bullet at handgun velocities is still in the short barrel when recoil starts to move the gun.

Filing this sight will break the nickel and copper plating. This will expose the steel to rust and make a weak spot for flaking of the plating. If this were my gun, I would first ask if they point of impact was close enough for SASS (2" at 10 yards) and then work with a local smth would could touch up the plating.

There are some smiths on the net that advertise bending teh barrel to change point of impact. This would not affect the plating at all.

Bob Munden's ad in the CC is one of those smiths.

Archived