SASS Wire Forum

shotshell reloading

I'am going to upgrade my shot shell outfit an would like to hear from

owners and operators of the Hornaday outfit, let me know what you do and

do not like about it. Is it worth the price?

thanks Pards

I'am going to upgrade my shot shell outfit an would like to hear from

owners and operators of the Hornaday outfit, let me know what you do and

do not like about it. Is it worth the price?

thanks Pards

Courth,

Don't know what you are using now, and don't know your goals. Don't have a clue as to how many shells per week/month you will be needing, or how many shooters you will be loading for. All these factors have a bearing on what to recommend. That leaves the question much to a guess.

Let me just state this. Some shooters like MEC's, others like Ponsness Warren's, others like Hornady's and still others like Spolar's, or RCBS, or Dillon. Different strokes for different folks. I will add this, "There are more MEC's sold every year, than all the other brands put together. There simply has to be a reason for this. First cost is cheaper, customer service is second to none, parts are available from many sources, Etc.

RBK

I prefer Mec Sizemaster for SASS reloading. It is sigle stage that sizes the hulls and it is easy to learn. It does more than enough shells for a season.

i had a pacific single stage that ran over 100k loads and when it finally wore out, i bought a Hornady being the same thing, in theory. hate it. i took a hack saw to the retaining ring so that i can pull out a problem round without having to run it all the way around. i gave up on the spring that is supposed to push the wad cup into place and just do it by hand now, disassembled the wheel under the shell plate that is supposed to rotate it. after wearing out and breaking several springs and waiting weeks to months for parts, i have simply learned to over ride most of what i paid for.

i should have bought a Dillon.

CC

Had a hornady. Compared to the Mec 9000 it was not as good/fast. Also didn't like the way the shell exited the machine.. I kept the Mec and sold it to a pard. It is working out fine for him. It is a well built sturdy machine. My Mec is a mean cranky machine but I know it's quirks. The Horady has the ability to shut off powder and shot a big plus in shotshell loading.

If you intend to reload a lot, have some cash to spare and want to save your arm, I can't recommend enough a hydraulic machine. Mine is a MEC 9000H and I have easily put 10's of thousands of rounds through that thing and it just keeps on working. However, it is an expensive machine if you are only planning to load a few boxes here or there. I shot competitive trap for many years and was shooting a couple cases a week of 12 ga. so it was definitely worth it then, and even now that I don't shoot quite so much, it's still nice to crank out 4-5 boxes in around 15-20 minutes when I'm in a hurry.

The one thing I would not recommend is a single stage. Getting a box out of a single is like watching paint dry, and shotshell reloading is not that difficult to learn that a progressive should present too many problems.

I have 4 MECs of various types/gauges and do like the brand. Simple, solid, well built and they do have great customer service.

ST

"feelin' Sweet today with only a small serving of Trouble"

I have a Hornady 366 and like it;however you CAN NOT rush it.

It did not take me very long to load 800 working part time with it.

I wish I had a Ponsness Warren.

If you have to rush I would get a MEC 9000.

They are all very good.

IMHO

Archived