SASS Wire Forum

Review: Cowboys and Aliens

Aunt Jen

Painless and I saw it today, and we had lotsa fun. :lol:

It begins in outer space, not far from orbit, with this one little space ship being shot at by a larger space ship. The little one is carrying a princess and her two robots, one of which is carrying the plans for the Death Star— :blush: Oh, no. Wait. Not that one.

There is a space ship approaching earth, that experiences an anomaly and has to crash land by a lake in Wisconsin. The pilot leaves his ship and finds the home of a lady, there, in a cabin, who is mourning the loss of her husband, and the alien, finding some of her husband's DNA, assumes his form, which freaks the lady out— No, not quite like that either! :angry:

Ah!

Okay! Sorry.  I remember, now. :excl:

Here-ye! Here-ye! All cowboys/girls come hither!

We have a problem with aliens from outer space, and NONE of us has ever seen a single movie about it, because it's the 1880s. Now, we're out gunned, out intelligenced, and out-maneuvered (because they can fly)—but we're not out gutsed, and we're not out spirited! You hear me? WE CAN DO THIS THING! :excl:

We'll need everyone to switch to their larger or more powerful rounds. No reduced loads for these guys! :angry: .38s, please switch to .357s; bring +Ps in .45! Any .44 magnums? Great. The more powerful rifles? Yes! Buckshot and slugs, please! And we need skill. And if any of you has any brains, please speak up, as we'll need all of that we can get, too. Grudges? Leave them behind.

The aliens will have a hard enough time fighting Indiana Jones :wub: and James Bond :wub: , but they've NEVER stood against a SASS possy with attitude. They've never seen us unload on a target before.

These aliens are the ones who didn't make it into "Close Encounters," probably because they wouldn't cooperate with Stephen Spielberg, they're slimy, and I'm sure they never bathe. Goodness knows they have no respect for human life.

It's gonna take all we can muster to help out...

About the plot: It begins in the good-ole American southwest—and by the way, Daniel Craig is not british in this one—and there are these rude aliens who need their behinds introduced to a hickory switch. Many of these characters are classics—such as the cattle baron, the sheriff, the town meanie, the stage robber—but many characters are also not what they appear to be. Not at all. And then it goes on from there. Naturally. (You don't want me to spoil it for you, do you?)

Curiosities:

Remember the Sci-fi movie, "Moon"? Done rather well, I thought, and starring Sam Rockwell? Well, he's in this as the Doc/Bartender, still understated and sometimes humorous. I was glad to see him there. It felt nice, like the casting director was having a little sci-fi fun with us.

And also remember the movie, "Starship Troopers"? The big, tough, mean Clancy Brown drill sergeant who helped whip the protagonist into shape? Well, he's here, too, as the preacher—and not a bad one, either. I was also glad to see him in there, but he's aged since ST, and I didn't recognize him at first. I LIKE that in an actor: He was playing the part well, not being himself in both... :)

And "13" from "House"? Remember her? Olivia Wilde? She is in here, too. (Probably for the guys who watch the film.)

So there you are!

On the Aunt Jen movie scale, this movie is a fun 8, where 310 to Yuma is an 8, Quigley is an 8, Open range is an 8, Paleface is a 9, and Silverado is another 8.

But then, maybe I was just in the mood. B)

Aunt Jen

Ok, Griz! So I did my part. That's the best movie review I've written all day. So I'm looking forward to my pizza: thin, extra sauce, mozzarella cheese, sprinkle black olives, sprinkle pre-cooked, ground sausage.......... :wub:

Painless and I saw it today, and we had lotsa fun. :lol:

It begins in outer space, not far from orbit, with this one little space ship being shot at by a larger space ship. The little one is carrying a princess and her two robots, one of which is carrying the plans for the Death Star— :blush: Oh, no. Wait. Not that one.

There is a space ship approaching earth, that experiences an anomaly and has to crash land by a lake in Wisconsin. The pilot leaves his ship and finds the home of a lady, there, in a cabin, who is mourning the loss of her husband, and the alien, finding some of her husband's DNA, assumes his form, which freaks the lady out— No, not quite like that either! :angry:

Ah!

Okay! Sorry. I remember, now. :excl:

Here-ye! Here-ye! All cowboys/girls come hither!

We have a problem with aliens from outer space, and NONE of us has ever seen a single movie about it, because it's the 1880s. Now, we're out gunned, out intelligenced, and out-maneuvered (because they can fly)—but we're not out gutsed, and we're not out spirited! You hear me? WE CAN DO THIS THING! :excl:

We'll need everyone to switch to their larger or more powerful rounds. No reduced loads for these guys! :angry: .38s, please switch to .357s; bring +Ps in .45! Any .44 magnums? Great. The more powerful rifles? Yes! Buckshot and slugs, please! And we need skill. And if any of you has any brains, please speak up, as we'll need all of that we can get, too. Grudges? Leave them behind.

The aliens will have a hard enough time fighting Indiana Jones :wub: and James Bond :wub: , but they've NEVER stood against a SASS possy with attitude. They've never seen us unload on a target before.

These aliens are the ones who didn't make it into "Close Encounters," probably because they wouldn't cooperate with Stephen Spielberg, they're slimy, and I'm sure they never bathe. Goodness knows they have no respect for human life.

It's gonna take all we can muster to help out...

About the plot: It begins in the good-ole American southwest—and by the way, Daniel Craig is not british in this one—and there are these rude aliens who need their behinds introduced to a hickory switch. Many of these characters are classics—such as the cattle baron, the sheriff, the town meanie, the stage robber—but many characters are also not what they appear to be. Not at all. And then it goes on from there. Naturally. (You don't want me to spoil it for you, do you?)

Curiosities:

Remember the Sci-fi movie, "Moon"? Done rather well, I thought, and starring Sam Rockwell? Well, he's in this as the Doc/Bartender, still understated and sometimes humorous. I was glad to see him there. It felt nice, like the casting director was having a little sci-fi fun with us.

And also remember the movie, "Starship Troopers"? The big, tough, mean Clancy Brown drill sergeant who helped whip the protagonist into shape? Well, he's here, too, as the preacher—and not a bad one, either. I was also glad to see him in there, but he's aged since ST, and I didn't recognize him at first. I LIKE that in an actor: He was playing the part well, not being himself in both... :)

And "13" from "House"? Remember her? Olivia Wilde? She is in here, too. (Probably for the guys who watch the film.)

So there you are!

On the Aunt Jen movie scale, this movie is a fun 8, where 310 to Yuma is an 8, Quigley is an 8, Open range is an 8, Paleface is a 9, and Silverado is another 8.

But then, maybe I was just in the mood.

Aunt Jen

OK A.J. ..........Let's see here..........

Got some c&b 44's bout 6 of'em , two 44-40 pistols , two lever action rifles, one in 44-40 and da other in 45LC and some 12ga coachguns fer close up work. s fer long distance work , got a copy of a 45-110 , and a real 1873 SpringField TrapDoor in 45-70. Both should reach out and double tapp'em.

Now.......as fer dat brains thing goes.....................................

Got some c&b 44's bout 6 of'em , two 44-40 pistols , two lever action rifles, one in 44-40 and da other in 45LC and some 12ga coachguns fer close up work. s fer long distance work , got a copy of a 45-110 , and a real 1873 SpringField TrapDoor in 45-70. Both should reach out and double tapp'em.

An excellent start! Those ought to help.

I just skipped to the bottom line, I don't want to know too much about it until I see it.

Thanks for the review though!

CHICKEN !! :P :P

Ok, Griz! So I did my part. That's the best movie review I've written all day. So I'm looking forward to my pizza: thin, extra sauce, mozzarella cheese, sprinkle black olives, sprinkle pre-cooked, ground sausage.......... :wub:

What no veg pizza or what ever that thing was you wanted last week Aunt Jen :lol: :lol:

Jan Francisco and I just returned from seeing it at the Mall of America in Minneapolis. First time I'd ever been there- cool spot.

Anyway, we both really enjoyed it. I won't spoil it. Suffice to say that there are some good actors/ parts; it's a fairly typical western with a twist. Harrison Ford does some pretty decent riding for an old cowboy. Daniel Craig made a better cowboy than I would have first guessed. The girl was pretty. The bad guys needed killin'.

Maybe an 8 1/2 out of 10.

Highly enjoyable.

I do know that I will buy the DVD when it comes out, and make sure I have my Klipsch LaScalas hooked up to the front channels of my surround sound.

Suggestion - in a theater with stadium seating, sit a little over half way back and slightly to the left of center for optimum enjoyment of the sound track and its effects.

Tull

Maybe an 8 1/2 out of 10.

Highly enjoyable.

I do know that I will buy the DVD when it comes out, and make sure I have my Klipsch LaScalas hooked up to the front channels of my surround sound.

Suggestion - in a theater with stadium seating, sit a little over half way back and slightly to the left of center for optimum enjoyment of the sound track and its effects.

Tull

I will probably get it on DVD, also, wen it comes out. I do prefer the theatre setting, in general. But I feel much more intimate with a show at home. So I usually wind up doing both.

I don't do theaters. I'll go ahead and pre order the DVD when Amazon starts preselling it.

Sounds like a fun romp.

King, the MOA? I've heard about that place, a woman's dream and a man's nightmare.

I don't do theaters.

Theater, on the big screen is the best place to see all that great country scenery Grizz. I just got back from seeing it and enjoyed it immensely. Went with my daughter and will go see it again with my son. I'll buy the Blu-ray when it comes out too!!!

Colt, I don't know what it is, but movie theaters make me anxious and give me a splitting headache. I think it's partly the darkness of the theater and large brightness of the screen, and the loud sound system. So I just wait and buy the DVD for about the same price I would have paid to go see it in the theater and have popcorn. Or maybe less.

My son saw it in the midnight premiere, he liked it, and was surprised that he did. He's not into westerns at all. I think he was expecting more of a spoof or comedy, he said "but it was a real movie" and he enjoyed it.

Grizz

Just got home from seeing it! Quite a bit of action! And a little humor kicked in to boot. There were a few moments of "why didn't they..." but overall I REALLY enjoyed it. :wub: You know how there are movies that you need to see in the theater and some can wait for DVD...I think this is one that should be seen in the theater so you can enjoy the impact of the sound track. :D

PS...there's a little "eye candy" for the women, as well as the men. :rolleyes:

If the Spencer blew an alien's brains out think what Buffalo guns would have done. A 45-110 or Trapdoor would have worked very well.

I have learned that even my high dollar VA hearing aids will not allow me to follow the dialog in a theater.

I'll wait for Netflix to drop it in my mail box. I can turn on the Closed Captioning and enjoy the heck out of it.

I have learned that even my high dollar VA hearing aids will not allow me to follow the dialog in a theater.

I'll wait for Netflix to drop it in my mail box. I can turn on the Closed Captioning and enjoy the heck out of it.

EGGZACTLY!!

I'm always amazed at how many people see that as a distraction instead of being helpfull. Almost like they can't read and watch at the same time....or walk and chew gum :P

I am so used to it now that I expect it and (almost) can't watch a movie without it.

I don't do theaters. I'll go ahead and pre order the DVD when Amazon starts preselling it.

Sounds like a fun romp.

King, the MOA? I've heard about that place, a woman's dream and a man's nightmare.

Hey, Griz... how 'bout a drive-in? ^_^

You'd get the enhanced big-screen scenery and be able to adjust the sound (through your rig's stereo, of course!) to your liking! AND havin' that li'l ice chest full o' your favorite munchies without havin' to trek to the snack bar and havin' your wallet raided... :rolleyes:

I went to see it today, Saturday. I thought that any movie that had James Bond, Indianna Jones, and Clancy Brown, who was the REALLY BAD IMORTAL IN HIGHLANDER, as the preacher could not be all bad. It was very action involved and I enjoyed it. First time I have been to the movies in a long time. I am going to have to buy Rango, did not get to see it.

shenny

A bunch of us went to it last night, and all gave it a big Thumbs Up. Really fun movie! Real bad aliens, great action!

Jan Francisco and I just returned from seeing it at the Mall of America in Minneapolis. First time I'd ever been there- cool spot.

Anyway, we both really enjoyed it. I won't spoil it. Suffice to say that there are some good actors/ parts; it's a fairly typical western with a twist. Harrison Ford does some pretty decent riding for an old cowboy. Daniel Craig made a better cowboy than I would have first guessed. The girl was pretty. The bad guys needed killin'.

Brother King .....man....why didn't you and Jan Francisco drive over to see me.

I was on 27 miles away !!! :unsure:

Sounds like a fun romp.

Grizz........while it maybe a women's dream...it can be her nightmare as well.

Got a full sized NASCAR similator where you can run up to 5 tracks around da country and have a video of it too !

Plus alot of good steak houses and Betty Crock Bake House.

I really like dat one, specailly after a hard day's racin' !

PS...there's a little "eye candy" for the women, as well as the men. :rolleyes:

Oh yes there is!!!!

I really enjoyed it. The soundtrack was excellent. I hope we do get it on DVD when it comes out. I would really enjoy seeing it again.

Archived