SASS Wire Forum

Cowboys and Aliens starts today

Go West

Sarah B and I met Uno Mas and Kris last night for the movie. I enjoyed it. I noticed the spotted horse also. I liked the way the alien ships fanned their wings to slow down.

I'll buy it when it comes out on dvd

TF

Rarely go to the theater anymore but me and Whiskey went and saw Cowboys and Aliens today. What a fun time! We both loved it. It was a great cowboy flick with a fun sci-fi twist. Acting was good, scenery good, good guys (and gals), bad guys, Apaches and evil aliens. Good costuming and period weapons too. Glad I saw it on the big screen first and we'll be buying it when it is out on DVD.

Bucky

My wife and I saw it Saturday and really liked it. Horses, Cowboys, Indians, Cool Weapons, Aliens to kill, what more could you want? I will buy the DVD when it comes out.

Saw it today...while wearing a NewVaq357 :). (Concealed.)

SPOILER ALERTS!

The very first wheelgun Craig's character gets ahold of appears to be a "partial" open-top conversion? In other words, the original 1851/1861 type bullet rammer is still present, and there doesn't appear to be a manual ejector for the shells. I found that disappointing.

In a few cases they went past six shots :(. Ooops. One prominent character runs his one wheelgun (SAA it appears) dry in the middle of a major fight and re-holsters it dry. With those wacky critters running around, I wouldn't have done that!

I would have expected more "buffalo rifle" class guns...really serious stuff in 45-70/90/120..."Quigley type" single shots. If I was going after "demons" I'd sure as hell pack something like that for major knock-down power.

And...did it occur to anyone else to ask "wait, why wouldn't they have just landed on Ft. Knox or wherever the US kept it's gold stash at that time? (And we sure as hell had one...)

Time period isn't stated but...it would have to be roughly 1880-1885ish, right? Enough time for SAAs to enter the civilian market in some numbers (including a fancy nickel version owned by Harrison Ford's character), which puts it at least...if I recall right, five years or so after the 1873 introduction of the SAA? Which would put Ford's character at about the right age to have been a civil war officer?

A group of 20+ from the Powder Creek Cowboys, dressed in our best cowboy duds, went to a restaurant as a group and then on to the movie. Lotsa looks and a few comments, as usual for that kinda outing. As for the movie, I personally liked it! Mixed opinions from the group. I imagine it'll be one for the DVD collection. :)

The wife and I saw it on Saturday. I was excited about it all last year, then the review came in not so hot, but then some word of mouth was good, so I saw it anyway. Verdict: not as good as I was hoping for all last year, but better than the negative review. It's a fun time. Has some plot and character problems, but not enough to keep me from enjoying myself.

SPOILER ALERTS!

The very first wheelgun Craig's character gets ahold of appears to be a "partial" open-top conversion? In other words, the original 1851/1861 type bullet rammer is still present, and there doesn't appear to be a manual ejector for the shells. I found that disappointing.

In a few cases they went past six shots :(. Ooops. One prominent character runs his one wheelgun (SAA it appears) dry in the middle of a major fight and re-holsters it dry. With those wacky critters running around, I wouldn't have done that!

I would have expected more "buffalo rifle" class guns...really serious stuff in 45-70/90/120..."Quigley type" single shots. If I was going after "demons" I'd sure as hell pack something like that for major knock-down power.

And...did it occur to anyone else to ask "wait, why wouldn't they have just landed on Ft. Knox or wherever the US kept it's gold stash at that time? (And we sure as hell had one...)

Time period isn't stated but...it would have to be roughly 1880-1885ish, right? Enough time for SAAs to enter the civilian market in some numbers (including a fancy nickel version owned by Harrison Ford's character), which puts it at least...if I recall right, five years or so after the 1873 introduction of the SAA? Which would put Ford's character at about the right age to have been a civil war officer?

The gold depository was not established at Fort Knox until about 1936, when FDR outlawed ownership of gold other than jewelry or collectables. So having the aliens mine their own is period correct!

Titus, what sort of comments?

Things like "Straighten up boys, here comes the sheriff" and since is was 100 degrees + and I was wearing black pants, black suede vest, knee hi black boots and a black hat, I overheard a couple mentioning that it looked a little hot for that!

SPOILER ALERTS!

I'm not sure if it was the same scene or not, but Harrison Ford looks like he is reloading from his coat pocket as he walks toward the jail wagon.

Not memtioned yet, but the preacher/doctor had a Spenser carbine, and used it to teach the bartender how to shoot. After

the preacher was killed, the bartender used the Spenser, and was seen reloading the Spenser via the butt-stock tublar magazine.

Shenandoah Red

SASS #90445

The wife and I went to see the movie today. We thought it was a good, entertaining movie. It had excitement, action and some really good acting.

We'll buy the DVD when it comes out.

My $.02.

The wife and I went to see it this evening. What more could you want-- Indiana Jones and James Bond. Actually there were some real flaws with the plot and a couple of the characters seemed out of place. I wonder why they called the bartender Doc. The preacher character doubled as the doctor. Odd. The relationship that developed between Harrison Ford's character (an old Indian fighter) and the Apache chief was amusing. I thought the idea of Spielberg, the absolute master of the good alien (ET and Close Encounters) movie to be responsible for a movie filled with unrelentingly bad aliens is a hoot. Although his character wasn't in the movie that much Keith Carridine was terrific as the classic western sheriff.

Guest diablo slim shootist

Saw it yesterday -and liked it but as an R.O I have

to call Harrison Ford on his cross draw being over the 30 degree

cant but i"m sure Daniel Craigs bracelet would make Wild Bunch power

factor and then some! :P:lol:

Howdy

I saw it today. I loved it! I'm gonna see it again, and look for some things that I missed. Did not realize who some of the actors were. Just looked them all up and will be watching more closely the second time. Did not realize that Buck Taylor played the character he did. Really surprised to see who played the preacher, first time I've ever seen him in a good guy role. Loved the scenery.

Really liked the girl.

As for getting everything exactly historically correct, sheesh, it's just entertainment. Give it a break.

By the way, it was a Russian, not a Schofield.

We just got back from seeing it... we don't go to the movies more than once or twice a year.

I doubt I would have been interested because I don't like "alien" movies.

BUT... you all seemed to like it so I gave it a shot.

I liked it. I really liked it.

I like the Indiana Jones movies.

I found this one to have some of the same "feel" to it.

Something most of you won't care at all about....

On the way home I called my daughter to point out something to look for when she and her boyfriend go to see the movie.

For those of you who know Waterloo (her boyfriend)... his real name is Garrett Martin.

Towards the end of the movie, when they get back to the town, there is a big sign over one of the businesses that says "G. Martin"

77 Cowboys an Girls went to see it all duded-up in their finest the night after the 14th.Canadian National Championships...

Last week...

Wish I could have been there ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, But I got ta hear Jason McCoy ......

Jabez Cowboy

My wife and I went to see it yesterday. It was probably the worst western I've seen since Hell to Pay and, based on the relative pay scales given to the actors of both movies, I'd say that Hell to Pay was a much better return on invested dollars.

Don't waste your money!

I assume this show is not kid friendly. Looks like that Ella character gets some camera time in her birthday suit.

Howdy

It depends on your definition of 'kid friendly'. There is lots of violence, both towards humans and aliens. The nude scene is very discrete. She is only shown from above the waist from the rear, and only for about a minute.

Archived