SASS Wire Forum

New member &Intro

Wopahoe Kid

New member here, though I would post a brief into.

New to the Cowboy Action Shooting sport, haven't joined SASS yet, just getting started. Myself and a friend and co-worker are thinking of getting into this sport, looks like a lot of fun.

We are both LEO's and both firearm instructors for our department, so firearms are not new , but this type of shooting will be.

We are both in our senior years, but still love shooting, this looks and sounds like it will be a blast and we can enjoy it for many years ( other than the mounted part). We live in Kentucky and have found several local SASS clubs, we'll be attending one or more to see exactly what all goes on....I'm sure it'll be very interesting and exciting!

Of course we have a ton of questions, we both own a single action revolver, both Rugers, mine is a old model .45 LC and his is a 44 mag ( know this one will not be a good one for this)

Before we both invest a lot of money on the "wrong" equipment, can you all direct us to the right stuff? Is the .45LC the right choice, after doing some reading seams like quite a few are using the 38/357 model...would that be a better choice? He owns a Winchester 73 in 45 LC, and I'll be picking up a SXS shotgun..our thinking is to share the long guns at first ( keep initial cost down)...also he does reloading and has .45 dies..again cost...

Holsters? Start simple? That is our thinking right now....

Shirts, boots, hats...a lot on eBay. Is that a good place to start looking? Are button fly jeans acceptable?

Also, do we need a cart to start with?

Thank in advance for any responses and guidance....

Oh, my name... Though awhile about this...being of italain decent, my grandparents were born in northern Italy, my dad always joked that I belonged to the "Wapahoe" tribe....joking of course...so I figured what the heck...Wopahoe Kid...why not!!!

Don't mean to offend anyone, though I would explain......

Again, thanks for any and all insight into this sport....

Hope I can remember all the questions u asked. ;)

most use small caliber hand guns for lower cost ammo,and more for lower recoil. I shoot 45colt and always will,I shoot 200 grain ammo downloaed to about 700 fps,for less recoil.Our targets are REAL close,lots of power just not needed or wanted.

The .44 can be used,most use .44 specail ammo,for realism and for less recoil,etc.

the' 73 is THE preferred rifle,most use model '97 pump shotugns,but I use a sxs and always will..just more 'cowboy'.

the sxs shotgun must have extractors,ejectors not allowed unless disabled.

gun cart,..VERY handy,most clubs do not have anywhere to put the guns..racks,etc. AT least the ones around here don't.use a wheelbarrow,kids wagon,modified golf cart...whatever.

clothes,start simple,jeans and boots,cowboy hat. zippers are acceptable,as are button flys. belst acceptabble altho most wear suspenders for realism.

Leather,buy good used,not cheap new.leather is expensive,so shop around and ask pards at the matches,some make stuff on the side.

welcome aboard,it's a fun ride !!!

Welcome to the fire.

Go to a local club's shoot and watch. Most pards will let you borrow their guns to try out...see what you like. It's a bit of expense to get geared up so make sure of what you want before you start parting with your gold.

+1. Go to a match and see what folks are shooting. They will let you try the guns out and give you lots of advice. I bought my equipment based less on what I wanted and more on what was available in price range, and I wouldn't have necessarily made the same choices if I had taken my time and been willing to spend a bit more.

I shoot .45 Colt and I often wonder if I should have bought .357/.38. If you already have a .45 rifle and a .45 reloader, then keep shooting .45's. It's not that big of a deal, especially at the beginner level. If you are reloading or have a reloading service (like Ten-X) then the price isn't so bad either. There is also no rule that says handguns and rifle must be of the same caliber.

I took the simple route for holsters and bought a $150 dollar model online. It is single ply leather from Cabela's. I bought it knowing that it would not be a "lifetime" rig. My primary interest was to get something cheap to see whether I liked the sport or not. I plan on investing in a higher-quality rig later. Some people would say that spending money "just to see" is a waste, but that's the strategy I chose. Do what is right for your wallet.

Regular jeans are perfectly fine. I cut the belt loops off some modern Dockers and sewed on my suspender buttons. It's not 100% authentic but it's good enough. I also bought a vest on sale for $10 at Old Navy. I also wear a $25 crushable felt fedora I found in a department store, because I find it more comfortable than my $100 beaver felt cowboy hat. There is no need to break the bank buying expensive period Wahmaker stuff.

Carts are optional and some clubs have loaner carts. I hand-carry my rifles and keep my rounds in a satchel. That said, the Tejas Caballeros range has lots of racks and trees to lean your weapons. If your club is not so fortunate, a gun cart might be a necessity.

My first year in SASS taught me that starting up is definitely a process rather than a single event, so take your time and make wise investments instead of trying to buy everything you think you need right away.

Good luck and have fun,

-Solo Sam

Since you boys will be sharing guns to start with, as soon as you get a shotgun y'all will be set. A 44 mag Ruger is just fine. Loads must be lead bullet under 1000 fps out of the revolver. You can use 44 special or mag brass just so long as the velocity is kept below 1000 fps. The only problem with having one revolver in 44 mag and one in 45 Colt is if ye get mixed up with the cartridges and load 5 44 mags in the 45 Colt revolver. The Ruger will withstand it with aplomb but the brass will look funny. Done that myself one time. Wondered why I had so many misses until I got to the unloading table and figgered it out. Of course the reverse is impossible as the 45s won't fit in the 44 mag chambers.

Don't worry about the duds just starting out, no one cares if ye aren't dressed to the nines. Just do the best ye can whenever ye can. A gun cart is a very handy thing to have but ye can start with anything even a little red wagon with a blanket laid in it.

Welcome to the fire. Be sure to get with Utah Bob and join the Benevolent Order of Law Dawgs first chance ya get.

Going to a match is first on the list.....

Thanks all

So I don't have to tell you to "GO TO A MATCH FIRST !" ...... ;)

........... but I will say WELCOME ! :D

There is lots to learn, most you will pick up at the range from other participants 'face to face'.

........ I don't think you will regret joining in (other than "why did I take so long .... ")

Unless your choice of alias is already spoken for ... it's a good'n ... :)

WELCOME

Kid, you have the right idea! Go to some matches and just look like you are interested. You will have have folks walk up and start telling you all about the sport. DON'T

be afraid to ask qustions???? The people playing this game are the best.

Get ready for the best time of you life!!!!!

Welcome Red Rider Rudy

When I started, I too cut the loops off pants and put suspender buttons on. Then I took a shirt and removed the collar so it looked like a band collar. I then found all sorts of clothes and vests and such at the Goodwill and Salvation Army stors...very cheap.

If you haven't been there yet, go to the homepage and download the Shooter's Handbook. That may answer a lot of other questions you might have and don't think you have to be an experienced shooter to look through the Range Officer Pamphlets. Those books not only teach you how to be a Range Officer, but they also give more insight into the rules and how the game is played as well as how and when penalties are assesed.

When you go to a match, don't hesitate to find a posse you might want to stick with throughout the day. When I didn't have all my gear I would go and watch and I learned how to spot and I kept score a lot. The shooter's like that because it frees up at least two shooters. There is nothing to it other than writing down the score that the Timer Operator tells you. Plus you get to learn a lot of peoples names that way. ;)

You're gonna love this.

Cascade Charlie

Hey Piasano,

As soon as I saw the alias I thought "He's Italian", when you call SASS HQ to join they can tell you if it is already taken or not. I don't think you will offend anyone, most pards have a sense of humor, especially when it comes to alias's.

Go to at least a couple of matches before you start buying equipment. Even at small local matches someone will have guns and gear for sale. Ask around many times a shooter will make his own leather to save money, and turn it into a small business making leather for others. If you are close to southern Illinois we are gifted with a couple of older gentlemen who can make you truly custom gear for the price of over the counter stuff.

Most shooters use 38/357 for cost and low recoil, but many can compete quite happily with 45's. As for clothing, a long sleeve button down shirt and zip or button fly jeans are completely acceptable. Hats? We don't need no stinking hats. Well most categories anyway. I've shot in a derby or my father-in-law's RR engineer's hat and have seen a couple of shooters in top hats. To paraphrase the commercials "Whats in your closet?"

Carts are not needed but are handy. You and your pard can each carry a long gun and a small duffel or backpack for ammo.

When you go to the first couple of matches take a couple of boxes of lead bullet ammo and a box of 12 ga, shotgun shells, and you will have many offers for loaner guns.

Welcome to the fun,

Smoke

Need to put where your at.If you close to someone they will let you know when and where they shoot. If your southeast Texas or southwest La. I can lone you a gun or two.Just go to the shoot and have fun.Guess I missed where your from. Sorry

Need to put where your at.If you close to someone they will let you know when and where they shoot. If your southeast Texas or southwest La. I can lone you a gun or two.Just go to the shoot and have fun.

Hey PB Tex.. did ya read the original OP.. they are from Kentucky... :lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like you boys have the right attitude and your gonna enjoy this sport...

I started when I was about 56 years old... 63 now..

and like one cowboy posted..

Your gonna wonder why ya didn't start sooner!!

Welcome to the fire boys

Rance <_<

still havin' a ball :lol:

Oh yeah.. like yer alias.. shows ya got a sense of humor and heritage..

You folks have got some great info thus far. I'd move up to the top of the list (if you're sure about diving in) to meander around this same sight to the membership section and check out the available alias's (to see if yours is taken?) if not, jump in there with some dues and join right quick. You'll get your badge, SASS number, and Alias, along with a bunch of other goodies to start you out.

Another thing, there was a reason each of you chose the calibers that you chose.... You liked them! No reason to change. Stay 45LC and stay 44 Mag (keeping in mind the power factor and shooting 44 special at reduced levels). Sure everyone at a match will have his/her own opinion on what is best to buy or use, but you fellers have been shooting two lifetimes worth and been teaching for the same amount of time. Kind of hard to teach an old dog new tricks (same reason I suggested not changing calibers). If you have a favorite rifle or shotgun and it's SASS legal, use it by golly. Familiarity will do much more for you than if the top guns are using it or not. I say all this assuming that you all are in it for the FUN of it rather than for top honors.

But do please got to a few shoots for some heads up, just in case what you have in mind may be way out in left field and won't work. Smithy.

One more thing...When you do get signed up be sure to look up Utah Bob (He's mostly over in the Saloon{ACS})and sign up to be a BOLD Member. That's Benevolent Order of Law Dawgs ;)

To add my 2 cents: heartily agree with attending a couple of matches.

When I started a couple years ago I had a Ruger OM Vaquero, .44 mag, in the safe. Found another and bought a Marlin CB in .44 Mag. I use .44 special in all.

Here's one thing to ponder, your pistols and rifle should be the same caliber for simplicity sake. Another observation is that .38 special ammo is ALOT cheaper than .44 special, even if you're reloading.

I recently purchased two new NM Vaqueros in .44 special (distributors editions) and added Super Blackhawk hammers (low profile).

Bottom line here is take a little time and see what you think would fit your needs best.

Again, my two cents.

Somehow we have neglected to give to a link to Capt. Baylor's site. It has a heap :D of information for new members.

Hete 'tis..

Capt. Baylor's Ranger Camp

Of course we have a ton of questions, we both own a single action revolver, both Rugers, mine is a old model .45 LC and his is a 44 mag ( know this one will not be a good one for this) - These are fine.

Before we both invest a lot of money on the "wrong" equipment, can you all direct us to the right stuff? - ...the advise to go to a couple of matches first is right on. Most folks at a local shoot will let new folks interested in the sport try their guns.

...this includes looking at leather rigs...

Is the .45LC the right choice, after doing some reading seams like quite a few are using the 38/357 model...would that be a better choice? - it's your choice. .32 to .45 Colt., just get the caliber that you like and are comfortable with.

...are you going to be reloading? ...that can influence your choice as well.

He owns a Winchester 73 in 45 LC, - revolvers and rifles don't have to be the same caliber, it's your choice. If reloading your own, its just simpler to reload all the same thing, but not really enough difference to matter.

and I'll be picking up a SXS shotgun.. - get the shotgun that fits you, be it internal or external hammer, be it 20 or 12 gauge, be it 97', '87, or sxs.

our thinking is to share the long guns at first ( keep initial cost down)- ...ain't nothing wrong with that at all.

...also he does reloading and has .45 dies..again cost... ...reloading is fun...

Holsters? - get the ones that fit and are comfortable for an all day wear.

Start simple? That is our thinking right now....

Shirts, boots, hats...a lot on eBay - try goodwill.

Is that a good place to start looking?

Are button fly jeans acceptable? - sure. I just cut the loops off my jeans and sewed on some buttons that would hold suspenders... I also cut the collar off an old shirt... ...plenty of old cowboy hats around at goodwill...

Also, do we need a cart to start with? - nope. can carry your stuff. ...you can just convert an old 3 wheel baby stroller or an old cheap hand truck - good will items as well.

Welcome to the fire Kid, and thanks for your service as a LEO.

Maruaders Cowboy Page is another good resource along with Cap'n Baylor's pages I see someone already referenced above.

As others have probably said, the 44 is fine shooting 44 sp loads.

As others have said, go to matches, introduce yourselves and ask questions. Most likely folks will be handing you guns to try out so you can find out what you like best.

Most of your questions have already been answered, so I'll leave you with this thought...

There are lots of ways to enjoy the game, some are in it just for the speed, others really love the costuming, others making large amount of smoke and fire, others enjoy using less common guns like Schofields and 1887 shotguns and Spencer rifles, etc etc. It's all good.

Have fun, hang on and enjoy the ride!

Grizz

Welcome Pard(s),

I love the alias and story behind it.

You've got good advice about guns and ammo already. You may want to study the different categories in the Shooter's Handbook before deciding which guns and leather to buy. B-Western and Classic Cowboy have very specific requirements. Age-based categories are pretty wide open. That is why I usually shoot in one of them. I've got B-Western leather; but haven't shot the category yet.

If you want to buy some duds, I always recommend Wild West Mercantile as they are frequent SASS sponsors, great to deal with, and have frequent sales. There are many others out there too.

To start, you can just wear jeans (button fly or zipper are okay) and a long sleeve shirt. Shoes/boots and hats are an important investment. You will want comfortable shoes as many ranges have rocks or gravel. The hat, although not required, will help shelter your head and face from the sun and spent ammo. I have a friend who forgot her hat and, twice at the match, got a spent shell stuck between her glasses and nose. She shoots a '73.

Have fun!

Allie Mo

Howdy and welcome Wopahoe Kid. You've gotten a lot of good advice so far, so I won't pile on and rehash it. You every get over Missouri way, look us up.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Thanks for all the good and sound advice...also for all the invites....

Yep, we are in it for fun...and more fun. Winning is fine but that's not we are shooting for....fun, and hanging out with like minded people....plus..what person of our age ( ain't going there) didn't / doesn't want to be a cowboy or cowgirl....grew up watching all the cowboy shows on TV and though how great those cowboys were....looking forward to getting started in this...yeehaww.....I even had some of the action figures of the cowboy stars of the time ( yep, be worth something today if I still had them)

Again, thanks a bunch.....

Wapahoe Kid

Might want to get a Sharpie marker & mark the bottoms of the .44 ammo. Load the 44 first, then load the .45 pistol & rifle.

Welcome and glad to have ya'! :FlagAm:

What part of Kentucky do you reside? I'm in northern middle Tennessee, and shoot at several Ky. clubs ocasionaly. If you look at the S.A.S.S. club list for Kentucky you'll find a bunch of really good clubs and therer are a lot of good pards to shoot with who will steer you right. If you have the guns already, (and you know by now that you're in the ballpark) you can call the number for the club contact and he'll help you with gear and such to shoot with until you get the rest of what you need.

Take your time and you can collect up everything without wasting time and money on stuff you won't be happy with. You will find that there's always something else you want.

You're headed in the right direction, and everybody has shot you straight. Be SAFE!! Have FUN!!!

Welcome and glad to have ya'! :FlagAm:

What part of Kentucky do you reside? I'm in northern middle Tennessee, and shoot at several Ky. clubs ocasionaly. If you look at the S.A.S.S. club list for Kentucky you'll find a bunch of really good clubs and therer are a lot of good pards to shoot with who will steer you right. If you have the guns already, (and you know by now that you're in the ballpark) you can call the number for the club contact and he'll help you with gear and such to shoot with until you get the rest of what you need.

Take your time and you can collect up everything without wasting time and money on stuff you won't be happy with. You will find that there's always something else you want.

You're headed in the right direction, and everybody has shot you straight. Be SAFE!! Have FUN!!!

If you feel the need for a hat, Blackwater can fix you up.

Backwater

We are in the middle of the state, work at Fort Knox...Elizabethtown may the city most know....

Sure are liking all the info.....please, keep it coming. Never learn too much...thanks all

Catch up with Cumberland Drifter or Apalachian Alan at Knob Creek, (yeah the place where they shoot the machine guns). There's at least two dozen more good friends there.

Then there's the Rock Castle Rangers down I65 at exit 48. Shadai Vaquero and company are more good pards and many more there too, like Big Six Henderson and Cimmaron Lil.

Check out Yak at Green River near Bowling Green too.

Over toward Paducha there's the Kentucky Regulators. Cuno Massey and his family and *Mose and Bella Spencer come to mind.

All of the folks over at Hooten Hollar, Cherokee Big Dog, No Purse Nez, Copperhead Joe, the list goes on and on.

I aint even gonna' start on the list in Tennessee, Indiana, Ohio, and Illonois. :FlagAm:

* Mose and Bella stay on the road a lot, but catchin' them shootin' at home is a riot.

Welcome Wapahoe Kid! As my pard Fingers McGee said, I won't repeat all the good advice already given. One word of advice I will give ya...watch out for that Blackwater Desperado character! Why, he's one of the nicest, friendliest, most sincere, fun-lovin' dudes you'll ever meet! Seems folks that hang around him for very long start actin just like him. Course, he's been around this game for years, been rubbin off on lotsa cowboys and cowgirls. Now this game is just full of pards just like him! So if ya like the kinda folks I've just described, well I guess y'all will most likely fit right in! :P Lotsa them kinda folks to be found in Kentucky fer sure! My wife, Fannie Kicker and I just shot with Blackwater at Copperhead Joe's place in Manchester, KY a couple a weeks ago. Got lotsa GREAT friends from KY as well as many other states in this game. Hopin ta meet ya soon!

Titus A.(luv the wacky alias') Gnatsass

Welcome to the most fun ya can have with yer clothes on...

Let us know where you hail from...if you are from SoCal we can invite you to join us to a match which is what you and your pards need to do. Me and Old Top have enough stuff to outfit an army so use your friends (new and old) to learn from.

Me and Top found out first match that one of the most important items is a guncart. new, used homemade..what ever.

check out my photo page and you can see lots of pix of cowboys guns and gear and help give you ideas to try.

my webpage:

good shootin

curley

Archived