SASS Wire Forum

Gunbelt suspenders

Joe Willy #52299

I looked in the SASS handbook under "holsters", etc. but could find no guidance on this question.

Is it SASS legal to attach suspenders to a gun belt? Suspenders only, no cartridge or shot shell loops. Just something to help keep the gun belt up around my waist.

Thanks all.

I had lost a few lbs. Not enough to warrant a new gun belt or to warrant modification of my existing one, but I was on my tightest notch and it was a bit loose. I emailed Kirkpatrick (maker of my rig) and together we came up with making a few western styled belt keepers to secure my gun belt to my trouser belt. Worked like a champ! My trouser belt was cinched down for bear and my somewhat loose gun belt was "belt keepered" onto my secure trouser belt and there to stay. That system worked and that way if I did ever find the lbs lost I'd still have the gun belt originally made for me. Smithy.

Many of us don't wear trouser belts so keepers are not an option. Suspenders on gun belts are perfectly fine. I experimented with several versions and systems but never got one to work satisfactorily. Good luck, pard.

I don't want to argue with you all, in fact I'm interested in your outcome, but I did look into the suspenders "helping" me out with my loose gun belt problem and what I found was that the combined weight of the pair of revolvers and leather gear (gun belt) was too much for my existing suspenders. I was using a mainly leather with a small section of elastic type of suspender and eyelets for the pants. To support the weight of all the above, I would of have to of gone to a solid piece of leather with buckle and strap adjustment and eliminated the elastic altogether for it to have worked. I don't know if anyone makes such an item, but I'm sure that one could be custom made? My next question would be, how'd you'd engineer it to hold up your pants and your gun belt? That may/may not become a problem. I sure remember having to monkey around with my gear because of my weight, waist size and pot belly. One not too fond memories was a time when I was all geared up and during a shoot my shot shell belt tried to switch places with my gun belt during a stage. All that held up my shot shell belt was my girth so when the belt got room to move, move it did. Smithy.

I had a pair made by a local leather worker. They were all leather with slots that the belt goes thru, one

on the back and 1 on each side in the front. They work just like suspenders that support the weight of the

gun belt. When I get back from work today I will try to take some pictures.

Charlie

I wear a belt for each holster and have a "Sam Browne" type of strap that wraps around both belts a little to my right side of centre at the back, over my left shoulder and around both belts on the right side of the buckles. Then my shotshell belt goes on over and above all that.

I should also mention that button fly and "y"fronts are your bestest friends ;)

It'd probably work with one gunbelt :unsure: ...... but I carry 2 guns ^_^

Best way to make them is out of canvas; cavalry suspenders. I have made a few pair for folks that use a leather loop around the gunbelt, then the canvas suspenders with clips on the end to make them easy to remove. The key is not using the usual elastic for the back strap. Seemed to work well for Dr. Doom, who had the 'no butt' syndrome and had trouble keeping his gunbelt up. I may make a pair for myself for my Dragoons holster belt........ dang things are heavy!

Best way to make them is out of canvas; cavalry suspenders. I have made a few pair for folks that use a leather loop around the gunbelt, then the canvas suspenders with clips on the end to make them easy to remove. The key is not using the usual elastic for the back strap. Seemed to work well for Dr. Doom, who had the 'no butt' syndrome and had trouble keeping his gunbelt up. I may make a pair for myself for my Dragoons holster belt........ dang things are heavy!

If Buffalo Brady makes them (and how he makes them) then that's the way to go! I've bought a few leather pieces from him and all have been sturdy top quality work. I would not doubt that if he's figured out a way to make suspenders to hold up a gun belt, then by golly that's exactly what they would do and look darn nice doing it. Smithy.

I use some suspenders I bought at Walmart. They are made to hook under a belt. I reversed the hooks so they go behind my gun belt. They work great, give that extra little support to keep my gunbelt from dropping to my knees and tripping me. I do sometimes use pants suspenders, too. I haven't found two pair to be any real trouble.

Archived