SASS Wire Forum

Gamer loads

Is there a noticable difference in recoil between 125gr. and 105gr. .38 projectiles?

It's more a function of powder charge and crimp as far as I can figure.

If you are at the top of your game, you've practiced transitions and shot placement and hammer and trigger control until you are blue in the face and need to shave that last 2 seconds off of your time, them maybe I'd worry about loads. Then the only way to find out what effect different ones have on you, is to try a bunch of different ones.

That is my opinion, and I am not fast, don't know jack about ballistics, nor do I shoot 'gamer loads' so take it with a grain of salt.

Before I bought my match guns I was at a match shooting .22 single sixes as it was a special match that allowed an adult .22 category. After the match I was able to shoot another shooters 38s RNV, honestly I didn't notice much difference in recoil if any.

The loads I shoot are mid range published loads with 130 gr lead. If you watch this video you will see how little muzzle flip I get.

That's all the input I got, hope it helped cha out, if not, at least it didn't cost ya anything.

Grizz

The biggest diffrence is cost. If you shoot upwards of 50k a year the savings isn't enough to buy a new Caddy but will buy 6k of primers or a bunch of powder. Also the little buggers function in 73's very well and if the caster does his job hit where they are pointed. We all play a game called CAS and therefore we are ALL gamers. Some just play the game harder.

If you are at the top of your game, you've practiced transitions and shot placement and hammer and trigger control until you are blue in the face and need to shave that last 2 seconds off of your time, them maybe I'd worry about loads. Then the only way to find out what effect different ones have on you, is to try a bunch of different ones.

That is my opinion, and I am not fast, don't know jack about ballistics, nor do I shoot 'gamer loads' so take it with a grain of salt.

Before I bought my match guns I was at a match shooting .22 single sixes as it was a special match that allowed an adult .22 category. After the match I was able to shoot another shooters 38s RNV, honestly I didn't notice much difference in recoil if any.

The loads I shoot are mid range published loads with 130 gr lead. If you watch this video you will see how little muzzle flip I get.

That's all the input I got, hope it helped cha out, if not, at least it didn't cost ya anything.

Grizz

Thanks for your response and the great videos! It looks like you and your pards have alot of fun. Last week at the nor'easter I mistakenly ran low on my pistol bullets (125gr) I had to finish the last 4 stages with my rifle (147gr). Big difference in speed. The cowboys and cowgirls I was possed with were shooting 18 to 24 sec. stages.I have to stay right on the edge just to even keep their horses in sight! IJAFG remember..... LOL!

Thanks again,have fun and keep your powder dry!

I run 130gr bullets with the same loads to both rifle and pistols, just makes it easier to handle. I do have a box of 158 gr that I keep around in case I ever go to a match with knock downs, but around here clubs really don't use knock downs except for shotgun.

About the only segregating I do with my ammo is the cases. Somewhere down the line I got a bunch of mixed head stamp stuff, I'm trying to keep that and the canulured stuff (those rings around the case) separated. From what I've heard, the canulured cases can split along that line leaving part of the case in the chamber, so many recommend only using them in the pistols. But you probably already knew all that.

I prefer starline brass for how it runs in my reloading gear and eventually hope to weed out the rest by using it at lost brass matches or whatever.

However you choose to play the game, have fun!

Grizz

I run 130gr bullets with the same loads to both rifle and pistols, just makes it easier to handle. I do have a box of 158 gr that I keep around in case I ever go to a match with knock downs, but around here clubs really don't use knock downs except for shotgun.

About the only segregating I do with my ammo is the cases. Somewhere down the line I got a bunch of mixed head stamp stuff, I'm trying to keep that and the canulured stuff (those rings around the case) separated. From what I've heard, the canulured cases can split along that line leaving part of the case in the chamber, so many recommend only using them in the pistols. But you probably already knew all that.

I prefer starline brass for how it runs in my reloading gear and eventually hope to weed out the rest by using it at lost brass matches or whatever.

However you choose to play the game, have fun!

Grizz

Hey Thanks for the reply! I didn't realize what a celebrity I was corresponding with till last night when I was looking something up in the June Chronicle and I realized that it was you who had written the front page article on last years Comin' at Cha. Great writing, really enjoyed it. My wife and I are kickin' around the idea of going to Helldorado days to finally see Tombstone. I hope to incorporate a shoot or two during our travels. Keep up the good work and Keep your powder dry!

Archived