SASS Wire Forum

Question about Gene's Cowboy Code

Gene's Cowboy code #1 didn't quite make full sense to me. If a cowboy never shoots first then wouldn't the cowboy be killed? I can understand the rest.

1. The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.

2. He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.

3. He must always tell the truth.

4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals.

5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.

6. He must help people in distress.

7. He must be a good worker.

8. He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits.

9. He must respect women, parents, and his nation's laws.

10. The Cowboy is a patriot.

It made sense in 1940s Hollywood. ;)

I will go along with 2 thought 10. I cant go along with #1 The shooting first. As for as a small man I am 5'7" 150 lbs.So I never let the bigger guy get in the first hit.

Life is full of uncertainties. :lol:

1. The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage. Define "unfair"? <_<

2. He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him. Even from a criminal?

3. He must always tell the truth. Not even a little white lie? "No that dress don't make you look fat, Darlin"

4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals. Except animals he's hunting

5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas. Okay.

6. He must help people in distress. I'll go along with that.

7. He must be a good worker. "Good" or "Hard"? :unsure:

8. He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits. Except on a cattle drive

9. He must respect women, parents, and his nation's laws. Mostly :unsure:

10. The Cowboy is a patriot. What if he lives in Mexico or Canada?

Looking at 2 throught 10 like Bob does maybe I dont go along with all of them.

You folks are missing the whole point here.

Gene said that you should never shoot first, because we all know that the guys in black hats

could not hit Gene.

He was shooting .44s so his bullets were true and unerring.

We are talking about magic bullets that only "winged" the bad guys, cause all sorts of collateral damage in the barroom, and automatically reload themselves.

Besides, in Hollywood, anything is possible. Just be glad that they didn't have flying horses, like they have flying automobiles.

Besides, in Hollywood, anything is possible.

And there you have it! :lol:

It made sense in 1940s Hollywood. ;)

Agree with Utah. Back in simpler times, the good guy didn't hit first, didn't draw first, didn't shoot first. Maybe the good guys, and those that watched, saw a possibility for averting a situation were possible the bad guy would back down.

Also remember Hoppy, Roy, Gene, and the Lone Ranger had these codes, because they knew they were the fastest, and toughest in a fight. It must have worked, because in them days we didn't have the problems of today. We didn't lock doors, we could walk down a street a night even if we were only 7-8-10 years old. We said "hello" to strangers. We all had heroes of the screen we wanted to follow, and honor their codes they lived by. MT

Should add, in my days of youth, the person that struck first was usually the "Bully" of the playground, and used his tactics to intimidate the younger and hapless victims. He was usually the biggest, and picked on those smaller. Yet, seen also, when the smallest had enough and fought back, only after being struck first, and sometimes even winning. The "Bully" lost his hold on those smaller, and even many of his followers. MT

I can't completely go along with number 5. I have a little problem with the "peaceful" Muslims that want to kill me and destroy my country because we don't share their beliefs. I don't have to tolerate the mistreatment of women or Sharia laws that preach hatred, violence & murder of folks that won't buy into twisted religious ideology.

I can't completely go along with number 5. I have a little problem with the "peaceful" Muslims that want to kill me and destroy my country because we don't share their beliefs. I don't have to tolerate the mistreatment of women or Sharia laws that preach hatred, violence & murder of folks that won't buy into twisted religious ideology.

+1

Well there goes the light heartedness.

Back to the bar. <_<

Well there goes the light heartedness.

Back to the bar. <_<

I'll buy Utah, I'm not trying to be a party pooper, but as has been pointed out more eloquently by others the times have changed.

Folks need to look evil in the eye and call it by it's name, just as the Allied forces did with Hitler and the Axis powers back in the day.

I am a firm subscriber to the famous quote by Edmund Burke: "All that is required for the triumph of Evil is that Good Men do nothing."

Some things cannot be tolerated, so I hoist my glass and cheer all those brave souls who have fought and are now fighting Evil no matter what name it goes by.

Ethan (old cheerful) Cord :FlagAm:

Yes Utah nailed it. Kinda odd that after almost 70 years of a code that our heroes of yesterday, (basically Roy, Gene, that molded many of us, as did the Boy Scout motto. Today, must be scrutinized for its contents,interpreted, rather then read and followed, though if each individual followed this code, there would be no problems.

Seems thats the thing to do nowadays, tear documents, like the Constitution, Bill of Rights, mottoes, and symbols apart. The children of today no longer will have these, as we did to live by. The leaders, and those celebrities in sports, and motion pictures are no longer role models, nor heroes we had. Greatfull for the time I grew up in, and hope to pass a little of that along.

Anyone remember Faith, Hope, and Charity? MT

Back in simpler times,... in them days we didn't have the problems of today. We didn't lock doors, we could walk down a street a night even if we were only 7-8-10 years old. We said "hello" to strangers. MT

Right there is one of the things I will miss over here when we move back next week.

We live on the main street in a small village here in Germany and it's not uncommon to see small kids walking to and from school like we did back in the 50's &60's. Or to see them unsupervised in a playground with other kids their age. It just harks to simpler times and is so much less stressfull. It's also not uncommon to see neighbors standing on the sidewalk chatting with someone who is leaning through the open first floor window to chat with them much like we used to do when gossiping over the back fence.

I've got an autographed copy of Gene's Cowboy code in my study and I like it a lot. I simply remind myself that it was different times and was aimed at molding young minds and not intended for us older minds some 60+ years later.

Would any of you have a problem instilling these values in your grandchildren? I wouldn't (If I ever have any :P ).

Archived