SASS Wire Forum

Colorado Shaketails

The first organized cowboy shooting match I ever went to was with the Colorado Shaketails a long time ago. I met cathouse bill and a bunch of great people. It was in February, it was cold and wet and windy. there were only about 19 or 20 shooters. (cathouse told me he used 6.2 grains of xxxxxxx powdwer in his .45 LC load and I used that load for years.) Shaketails range included a small ranch cabin for a clubhouse. At the shooters meeting outside on the range I got chilled clean through,shot one stage and spent the rest of the time inside next to the woodstove, along with a half dozen other intelligent shooters playing poker, telling stories and keeping warm. I was hooked on CAS from that time on.

Years later I asked cathouse how he arrived at 6.2 grains instead of 6.0 or 6.5. He said the reloading equipment he used back then wasn't very accurate, and he thought he was using 6.0 until he measured a loaded cartridge, but he had several thousand rounds loaded and they worked well so he left it at 6.2. Talk about scientific research! But he was right, 6.2 grains worked well so I kept using that load for several more years.

Well this is probably more useless information than you wanted.

The O'Meara, himself.

The first organized cowboy shooting match I ever went to was with the Colorado Shaketails a long time ago. I met cathouse bill and a bunch of great people. It was in February, it was cold and wet and windy. there were only about 19 or 20 shooters. (cathouse told me he used 6.2 grains of xxxxxxx powdwer in his .45 LC load and I used that load for years.) Shaketails range included a small ranch cabin for a clubhouse. At the shooters meeting outside on the range I got chilled clean through,shot one stage and spent the rest of the time inside next to the woodstove, along with a half dozen other intelligent shooters playing poker, telling stories and keeping warm. I was hooked on CAS from that time on.

Years later I asked cathouse how he arrived at 6.2 grains instead of 6.0 or 6.5. He said the reloading equipment he used back then wasn't very accurate, and he thought he was using 6.0 until he measured a loaded cartridge, but he had several thousand rounds loaded and they worked well so he left it at 6.2. Talk about scientific research! But he was right, 6.2 grains worked well so I kept using that load for several more years.

Well this is probably more useless information than you wanted.

The O'Meara, himself.

I've learned in life good old stories are never useless knowledge LOL Thanks

Anyone on here shoot with the Colorado Shaketails. I'm planning on going to the August shoot.

And you are cordially invited to The Badger Mountain Range War, at Lake George, Colorado, on August 26th, 27th & 28th! More info at Colorado Cowboys!

Buena suerte, amigo

el Gato Gordo

Anyone on here shoot with the Colorado Shaketails. I'm planning on going to the August shoot.

My son, The Parker Kid, and I are Shaketails. We will be there for the August shoot. We are now at Frontier Sportsman's Club, east of Fountain, not Ben Lomond Gun Club

See http://www.shaketails.net/ or send me a pm for more info.

Tres Pistolas

I have been to the Shaketails shoots. If you like old time CAS shooting you will like it. If you like new CAS shooting you may not like it as well. You are also welcome to come shoot with us at the Colorado Cowboys on Saturday the Day before up in Lake George. Either way have fun! :)

Painted Filly

My son, The Parker Kid, and I are Shaketails. We will be there for the August shoot. We are now at Frontier Sportsman's Club, east of Fountain, not Ben Lomond Gun Club

See http://www.shaketails.net/ or send me a pm for more info.

Tres Pistolas

Hey Tres guess I'll see ya next weekend then. Looking forward to doing some shooting.

Thanks to all the folks from Lake George, I'll have to look at my schedule but if I can make it up there in August I will.

Archived