SASS Wire Forum

Ooops: I Washed a Flash Drive

Aunt Jen

Uh-oh. I noticed this morning that I had a flash drive in a pocket of a top that had been washed! :blush::lol:

It closes fairly well. It's an HP Something or other. But I think it got a bath.

Do you suppose it's gonna corrode inside because of that?

Damn Aunt Jen thats almost as bad as my youngest kid washing his cell phone. I hope its ok

What is a "FLASH DRIVE"? Some kind of naughty dance? :unsure:

Or perhaps a licentious drive down the cul de sac late at night. :blush::blink:

Ha! :lol: ??? :o:D

No. The data on it was not important. I remember what it was. No biggie as far as that goes. I was just wondering if I had to throw it away.

I did the same thing. It worked okay when it was dried.

Just give it plenty of time to dry and it will probably be ok.

Unless you're using a Mac, in which case you are out of luck.

:D

Grizz, I'm a PC :D

Ha. I'm totally Mac around here. which is good! But the chip is made by HP. But it looks like a good chip, and it has a tight fitting cap on it. I think it took a deep bath for 30 minutes in the washer. I'm letting it air out on the desk, here, and in a day or so, I'll report.

Dry it? Oooops. My first thought was to wash it to get the l lint out. I put it in the sink and used soap with a toothbrush... (kidding)

Ha. I'm totally Mac around here. which is good! But the chip is made by HP. But it looks like a good chip, and it has a tight fitting cap on it. I think it took a deep bath for 30 minutes in the washer. I'm letting it air out on the desk, here, and in a day or so, I'll report.

Dry it? Oooops. My first thought was to wash it to get the l lint out. I put it in the sink and used soap with a toothbrush... (kidding)

Jen, I know you are a Mac person, hence my joke :D

They say that putting a cell phone that has gotten wet into a bowl of dry rice for a few days will dry the phone out; might do the same for your flash drive.

I've heard the rice thing too, worth a shot

Luckily the price on them thangs iz mostly under $15,

Lessin' it's a huge memory or encripted type,

So's ya' kin git a spare widout pawnin' the kids :lol:

Take the cap off, place it on something absorbent (like a bath tissue), and let it dry in a dry, warm place. Sunny is good, as long as it doesn't get too hot. If you can touch it you're OK. You can speed it up a bit by using a hair dryer for a minute every so often, when the weather isn't warm or is very humid.

Also, shaking it like a thermometer, while holding is like you were going to insert it in the USB port, for a couple of shakes may help break the surface tension and dislodge any large drops trapped in there.

Ha. I'm totally Mac around here. which is good! But the chip is made by HP. But it

Bronze brush and Hoppes #9. ;)

Four gig flash drives are on sale at Staples this week for around $6.

Pitch it and buy a new one, I wouldn't trust the old one for anything important

Sounds like some folks are awful careless about checking pockets before stuff goes in the wash.

Any Small Electronic Devices that get Wet can Be saved by Removing Battery If Needed, Drying Them Off With Absorbent Cloth Then Placing Them In Refrigerator.The Cool dry Air In fridge will Dry Them out In About 24 Hrs. From Ozarks Monte Who has Dunked Cell Phone More Than Once!

Any Small Electronic Devices that get Wet can Be saved by Removing Battery If Needed, Drying Them Off With Absorbent Cloth Then Placing Them In Refrigerator.The Cool dry Air In fridge will Dry Them out In About 24 Hrs. From Ozarks Monte Who has Dunked Cell Phone More Than Once!

Worth a try if found in time . . . I have a Nikon 8800 that was returned by Nikon as "Beyond Repair." Ouch.

I washed several Flash Drives with important data when I forgot to remove from my pants. I washed in clear cool water to remove any soap, and dried with hair drier set at just blowing. Couple days later, no problem. I've done it with camera cards also. Though I hear if its the flashdrives with light that light up showing its attached to computer, there maybe a problem with the miniature circuit they put in the Flash Card. MT

Archived