SASS Wire Forum

Coach Gun - Cimarron or Stoeger?

Major Miles Stone

I've decided that a hammerless single trigger SxS is what I want, but don't know what brand would be best. I've looked at the Stoeger single trigger Coach Gun Supreme (not that there is much "supreme" about it) and the Cimarron on their web site. I can't see a Cimarron before I order, so it makes it that much harder to choose. The Stoeger seems to be a serviceable firearm, but it will clearly need some work.

Oh, and I prefer a new gun as opposed to trying to track down a BSS or SKB.

Is it worth the trouble to try to get a Cimarron instead of the Stoeger that is available locally? How about parts availability for either? Price difference is not all that important, but reliability and how much work it needs is. All opinions welcome.

Don

Who makes the Cimarron and where. Cimarron makes nothing, importers only. Turkey would be my WAG.

There are good Stoegers and bad ones. It's a crap shoot. I have owned several Stoegers. My first 2row i started out with is a pre-Stoeger Interarms but the same basic gun. I shot my first match with it over 16 years ago and it is still going strong. The only thing I have ever done to it is install Long Hunter pins. Didn't have to, just did. In fact I used it last Saturday. They used to make them right. The one I have had the most trouble with has had the most work done. Got it used from a world famous world champion. It is fast and slick, when it works.

A world champion and world famous gunsmith had a Stoeger receiver nailed up on the wall by the entrance to his shop. It was nickel or stainless. Receiver was cracked in half. Happened in the first box of featherlites and Stoeger refused to stand behind it. There customer service and support is the worst of all time. Like I say it's a crap shoot.

Pard just got a "Yildiz" I believe it's called made in I want to say Turkey at Academy sports at a good price. So far he really likes it and it looks real good.

I just sent my Stoeger back to Stoeger to see if they can fix a few problems I've been having as of late.I've used this shotgun A LOT,so it's been rode hard for several years.I found out that pre2005 Stoegers were pretty good reliable shotguns,but anything newer (which mine is)is made from a lower grade of steel.Seems that Benelli is more interested in selling the top of the line semi's more than cowboy guns.I'd be surprised if Stoeger actually does anything with it.They seemed pretty much less than interested in working on mine when I called "customer service"...yeah right....but they did give me a return authorization number for what that's worth.So,I found a new in box Baikal on gun broker and bought that incase.I know they hold together.

Baikal makes a good gun, don't know about the single trigger ones, but I 've had the double trigger for several years and it's never given me any trouble. Built like Russian tank, strong like bull!

I can speak about the Yildiz and so far I like it. At this point I've only put two boxes of shells through it, but I like how it feels. $486.99 at Academy Sports. Ain't no SKB but not bad.

I started out with a hammered double with two triggers, still have it and like it.

When I decided to get a hammerless SxS I went with a two trigger model for two reasons...

1) Two triggers is what I'd gotten used to and would be less confusing switching back and forth.

2) Single trigger models have to reset the trigger for the second shot, I've seen a fair number of folks who had to open and close their SxSs to get the trigger to reset. I know alot of folks have shotguns with single triggers that work great, but I didn't want to chance it. To me the trigger reset mechanism is just one more part to fail if that makes sense.

I bought a new Baikal double trigger hammerless, it's built like a tank but needs some smithing to be usable for this game. If I had it to do over, I'd buy the same shotgun, but all ready smithed and save the shipping and wait time.

Have fun in your search and I hope you enjoy whatever you wind up with.

Grizz

I bought a new Baikal double trigger hammerless, it's built like a tank but needs some smithing to be usable for this game. If I had it to do over, I'd buy the same shotgun, but all ready smithed and save the shipping and wait time.

Have fun in your search and I hope you enjoy whatever you wind up with.

Grizz

Nate Kiowa Jones does a real good job on the Baikals including areal unique twist on the extractors.

For a single trigger???? None of the above.

The entry level single trigger guns IMHO. Are not worth it. They have to many problems.

Would not waste my money on one.

BBS and SKB are the only single trigger guns I would buy for this game.

Now Double Trigger???? You would be OK with a entry level gun. I like the Baikal the best of those.

Every bit as fast as a single trigger gun. In fact can be faster as far as trigger pull inbetween shots.

Double trigger takes very little time to get use to. If right handed you can swap triggers and make it really fast.

My Baikal has the triggers swapped. And then thinned and smoothed the front. Making it easy to just hit the front

trigger, slide off and hit the second one. Can do it with one finger and pretty well make it sound like you pulled

both at the same time.

So, as far as triggers goes. You lose NO time.

But in my opinion. If you want reliability????? Ya might want to rethink those

entry level single trigger guns, and think about a double trigger one.

OR go ahead and get a SKB or BBS.

Almost every time I purchase something less than I need because of cost I end up selling what I bought in the first(place for a loss) and after many headaches, and purchase what I should have out of the box.

My personal SASS example.

2002 Marlin 1894 in 45 LC

2004 Marlin 1894 in 38 sp

2006 Uberti 1873 in 357/38 from Pioneer Gunworks

I would list the girations of handguns, but the list is verrrrry long.

kg

I would double trigger on an inexpensive firearm, or bite the bullet on BSS or SKB.

For a single trigger???? None of the above.

The entry level single trigger guns IMHO. Are not worth it. They have to many problems.

Would not waste my money on one.

But in my opinion. If you want reliability????? Ya might want to rethink those

entry level single trigger guns, and think about a double trigger one.

OR go ahead and get a SKB or BBS.

My opinion too :rolleyes: ..

I've got 3 double trigger Stoegers... never had a problem with any of them..

Doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow .. but that's with any gun..

I've heard of too many problems with the single triggered SxS's

Rance <_<

You said money wasn't the issue :blink:

Then by golly open the ol' wallet and spend the money and get a real expensive one with all the good reports you can get from this here ol' wire.. they make em' :rolleyes: I'd probably still get a double trigger though..

A good shotgun is, in my opinion, crucial to shooting fast stages. I've spent enough on rifles and pistols and back ups that I don't see the point in saving a few hundred bucks on a shotgun. I have a single trigger SKB and given a choice, I would have a double trigger gun as I shoot BP and the recoil impulse of anything less than a full power load will occasionally not reset the trigger. I know the solution is to get the reset mechanism modified, but it is so rarely a problem, and I don't shoot enough to worry about it lately.

Double triggers don't take any time to get used to-by the end of a day of shooting with the gun, it will be second nature.

As for tracking down a SKB or BBS. No problem at all.

Just call one of the 3-4 good smiths that do those guns.

Bet one/all of them has one in stock. Already smithed, ready to ship.

Time untill it is in your hand could be faster than buying the other. Then sending it

off to get smithed.

Which even those I would just buy from a smith already done also.

All good advice - thanks. Looks like no one has much to say about the Cimarron SxS. As far as I can tell it's the only new SxS that doesn't cost multiple thousands of $. Which is why I was favoring it over the Stoeger. I do intend to buy directly from a good smith if possible. Is there ANY new SxS that would be appropriate for CAS other than Stoeger, Baikal, or the Turkish-made Cimmaron?

Some other options would be a good used LC Smith, Lefever or Parker. They can be found for $500 or so. Half the fun is looking.

Stevens are okay except for the Model 5100. It does not come apart very easily for cleaning and is difficult to tune. This was a cheap gun in its day.

Belgian- and Spanish-made SxS's are questionable. I have seen some good ones and some real dogs. Many of these are hammered copies of Parkers, Wesley Richards and Greeners.

I am looking for a nice Winchester Model 24, the poor man's Model 21. They are kind of clunky but one would fit nicely in my collection.

I also like my Stoeger (circa 2005). It has thin barrel walls thaat allow easy loading and a high quality stock for that manufacturer. No problems in four years of SASS with it.

One thing nobody has mentioned is how the shotgun fits you. I have a Stoeger 2 trigger and it is stocked like

a rifle hardly any drop and I have had a heck of a time getting it to shoot where I was pointing it. It took

a lot of practice for me to get my cheek down hard on the stock like a rifle so I wouldn't shoot high. Mechanically

the Stoeger has worked well but when I need a new shotgun I am going to look for something that fits me better.

Charlie

DWM,

You have gotten lots of advise here, but I totally disagree with all the negative remarks on the Stoeger. No doubt that there have been some issues with some of them in the past, but I find them very serviceable and haven't experienced those problems.

I have a Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme with a single trigger and it has worked flawlessly for me. The current model Stoeger single trigger model DOTS NOT depend on recoil to reset the triggers, which are totally mechanical, and transition between barrels is quick and positive. It also has Screw-in Chokes, which are the same as Browning Invectors. This lets you choke the gun to what works best, for the games we play.

Slicking the Stoeger up for CAS use is very easily done, if you have a modicum of mechanical ability at all. Go to Mauraders web site and follow the instructions there.

Actually I have 2 Stoeger Coach Guns, one with single triggers and one with double triggers. Both are equally fast as far as firing them, but personally, I like the single trigger model best, and am totally satisfied with the Stoeger brand. Both my guns are made in Brazil, the single trigger one by E.R.Amantino and the double trigger one is by Gaucha-IGA.

RBK

I too am plenty happy with my Stoeger. Granted it is only a year old, but I have put hundreds of rounds through it, all trouble free. My Stoeger has not seen a cowboy gunsmith either, just box stock and running great.

I would not have a problem buying another Stoeger although I most likely would buy the next one tuned.

Dan

My Stoeger worked very well for me since I bought it in 07.Used it sporadically in streaks when I wasn't using my 97.I'd guess a couple of hundred boxes have been through it.In the last few months it started popping open after the 1st barrel was fired.Stiffened the lever spring a tad and took care of that problem.Then it started to not fire the 2nd barrel without opening and recocking it;and I noticed it had a gap of about .017-.018 between the bottom of the frame and the barrels when closed.The top of the barrels stand the same amount proud of the top of the frame.Now that's not normal,so I'm hoping Stoeger will take care of it.But,I also have a Baikal that I've used off and on for 3-4 years and have had zero problems with that.It's been used less than the Stoeger but not that much less.

And Tom.....I bought a mdl 24 off of Gun Broker a month or so ago for $450.Used it just for kicks in a cowboy skeet match.....kinda like trying to swing a 2x4 but it sure reached out there.

Archived