SASS Wire Forum

Spur Question

:FlagAm: Did various searches on wire but did not see answer to this question. When wearing spurs should the buckles go to to the outside or inside of the boot? It seems to me having the buckles on inside makes more opportunities of tangling. I see spurs worn both ways in pictures. All comments appreciated.

SaukValley Sam

My walking all day pair, on the outside.

My riding pair, on the inside.

No right answer for CAS matches - whatever you think looks best.

It may depend on what the straps are like. I have one where the buckles are inside so the concho can be seen on the opposite side. Embellished straps are for showing off, not hiding, so put your best side forward.

I asked this question some 10 years ago. Seemed as if most working cowboys were wearing them buckle out so'se not to tangle them together and not scrape the horse with them. But a few answered, "buckles in".

Those who were wearing show straps had the fancy side out.

I have 3 sets and don't wear any of them, 'cause I'm a klutz and would probably hurt myself!

A cowboy, My Dad, once told me if your riding, buckels go to the outside if your wearing them for dress, buckels to the inside.

Johnny Meadows

When a young lad my Grandfather ran cattle and had a butcher shop. So I got to play with the cows some. Actually, cowboying aint all that fun on some days. Regardless, Grandpa would really get on my rear if I wore spurs on his horse with the buckle in. So guess what. This decision was made for me the hard way. Great memory though. Except working cattle in swampy conditions in Louisiana on horse was tough. Good luck and just be careful cause now that I'm older I have caught the rowel on a step and went to the floor.

Rode all my life. Buckles always out.

+1... unless the straps have some fancy on the outside- then it's buckles in.

The Ghost wears only one spur, buckled on the inside, fancy side out.

Ghost

Here is our take in Texas. All of us that have Cowboyed for a living, I have some experience 4th generation Rancher in my family, wear the buckle to the outside. Now thats for a good reason. You sure do not want to get hung up in your rigging when you are horse back. I am a Bit & Spur Collector and I have a few pairs of spurs. All the Spur Makers build either a single mounted or a double mounted spur. That is a double mounted spur has sliver on both sides of the Spurs. The out side of the spur usually has the most or the best of the silver engraving. Then the outside Button is always larger and most of the time is silver mounted. Once in a while you will find Spur Straps that do buckle to the inside and thats OK too. Wear your spur straps the way you want to. One can always tell the difference between a City Cowboy and a Working Cowboy by the way he wears his Spurs and his Hat.

GN

Clem is a REAL :FlagAm: cowboy. He also knows how to handle a 1911! See ya at the Texas WB Championship Clem.

Ghost

Here is our take in Texas. All of us that have Cowboyed for a living, I have some experience 4th generation Rancher in my family, wear the buckle to the outside. Now thats for a good reason. You sure do not want to get hung up in your rigging when you are horse back. I am a Bit & Spur Collector and I have a few pairs of spurs. All the Spur Makers build either a single mounted or a double mounted spur. That is a double mounted spur has sliver on both sides of the Spurs. The out side of the spur usually has the most or the best of the silver engraving. Then the outside Button is always larger and most of the time is silver mounted. Once in a while you will find Spur Straps that do buckle to the inside and thats OK too. Wear your spur straps the way you want to. One can always tell the difference between a City Cowboy and a Working Cowboy by the way he wears his Spurs and his Hat.

GN

+1

My everyday spurs are Halls. And has the silver button on the outside, along with silver bars on the outside.

They have been used HARD for many years. Use to ride 8-12 hours a day 6-7 days a week for many years.

Was given to me by a man I was riding cutters for at the time. That was over 30 years ago. And still the

only spurs I use.

They have been some good working spurs for sure.

There was around 10-12 years that the only time they came off my boots, was when I got a new pair.

Funny story.

When my wife went into labor with our first. I was at a horse show.

They called me and I took off for the hospital and left the horses with the owner.

When I got there and was walking really fast down the hall. The nurses peeked there heads out

and said you must be Allen. I said yes how did you know.

Your wife said you would still have your spurs on, and that we would hear you coming down the hallway. :P

Back then I never took them off. Was always getting on and off horses that taking them off was never a thought.

MAN. Those was some fun times. :rolleyes:

Yep my Grandpa also told me buckles out. Wore them that way all my life. When I rode Bulls, back in my younger days. I saw a few guys get hung up with buckles on the inside. The buckle got caught up on the bull rope when they got threw off. They could not run fast enough from that bull draging the rope.

:FlagAm: A great big thank you to all the cowboys who replied to this thread. I was asking because I finally broke down and bought new high top boots to replace the work wellingtons I have worn for five years. I got the boots from a SASS sponsor and was looking at spurs when I saw the "made in china" tag. I am trying to keep my outfit as made in America as I can. The boots were close as they are honcho in Mexico. My Stoeger is from Brazil so at least on same continent. I do shoot OM Rugers, 94 Marlin, and original Winchester 97. I went to eBay and found some straight forward unadorned hand made spurs and straps. I don't much go for show and these look like they had been well used. I believe I will go for the buckles on the outside. Again, I appreciate all the comments.

SaukValley Sam :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

For my English spurs (which are "left" and "right") I adjust the straps so the buckle is just slightly to the outside of the top of the instep. Makes putting them on and off very easy. :)

My M1911 Cavalry spurs are also "left" and "right" and are rigged to that the buckles are to the outside.

My Western spurs are from the "El Cheapo Spur Shop" and don't have a "left/right" adjustment. For these all the straps I have put the buckles on the outside. I've seen others wear them inside. That looks "awkward" to me. But if it works for them then God Bless 'Em. ;)

To paraphase J.G. Wentworth: They're your spurs; wear 'em the way YOU want to!!!!!!! :D

SQQ

Archived