SASS Wire Forum

Regarding Bonanza

Old Scatterbrain

I can't find the thread, but recently there was a discussion of the timeframe and firearms used in Bonanza. In an episode today, from late in season 5 (1964), Adam mentioned the Dred Scot decision having just been handed down. That decision was handed down in March 1857.

Hollywood has always been a little fuzzy on details in the 19th century. :rolleyes:

I always thought that Bonanza was set prior to the Civil War, even though the weapons used were of later vintage.

I have not studied the issue, but my *feeling* about it when I was watching it was that it was 19th Century maybe a decade or so prior to the 20th. 1880s or so? It seemed solidly Western, but I thought they were more settled in and civilized than earlier, not so rough or frontiers-ish? :blush:

I bet they didnt nail it down on purpose. ;)

Saw a very early episode where the fellas were shooting cap & ball pistols. They were really mean, too, as they were threatening some folks who were camped on the Ponderosa.

Yes I did too. I was surprised Hollywood got it right then changed it later down the road.:wacko:

Archived