SASS Wire Forum

Name/Badge Number - Are they forever!

Sullivan John

Hello the camp,

If a current SASS member drops out for a while (as in no dues paid) and then reups again in a few years,

does he keep the same alias and badge number?

Could not find this listed in any of the SASS manuals, but then my eyes are gettin' dim.

Sullivan John

Yes and No. Sass badges are issued when joining with a chosen alias. If you don't pay each year to keep up on membership, your alias is up for grabs. It's happened before where a person wants to rejoin and his (or her) name has been taken by a new member.

Badges on the other hand are issued and not turned in at end of membership. They can be reused by someone else joining with a new alias. I found a SASS badge at a antique show once, bought it for $10. Husband and wife joined and only stayed in Sass 1 year. He said she died and he didn't want to continue, so he sold her badge to me. #3124. I asked Sass #1 Judge Roy Bean if I could use the badge for a family member in the future, he said YES. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Guest Kid Sopris, Regulator, #3290

Life Members, even after they have passed on are given that Alias and Number forever. May not be re-assigned; Unless the rules have changed, since I joined.

Yup, badge forever...alias can be up for grabs.

I used to be 'Jackson'...strayed from SASS for a few years....went to re-join up and was told they had given away my alias. It was a sad thing as that was my grandpa's name (and it's my middle name). Still, I understood....anyway, I like my alias now so it all worked out in the end.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived