SASS Wire Forum

Stirrin the pot

I remember going to the range one day, with various costume bits, big bore guns and so on, and another shooter said to me, "Hey, all you need is a hammered SxS, and you'd be good to go for Classic Cowboy.

Well, I thought that was kind of nice of her, and then I went and signed up for Duelist like I always do. :)

But, here's a comment... Why isn't .32-20 okay for Classic Cowboy? It's a period cartridge, I have an original 73 and a 1st Gen Colt in that caliber. So why not usuable? PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE PRECEEDING COMMENT SERIOUSLY!

The exisiting categories don't need any changing. Leave them be. People who shoot the "special" catergories, and by that I mean anything other than Duelist or whatever category is what used to be known as "Traditonal" do so because they like them as they are. There is enough variation in them that we don't need to redefine how they work.

Now, some folks might say there is a need for a couple of new or different categories that currently don't exist. The most commonly asked for is Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter. I have no horse in that race, but I understand why some people want it. Without advocating for it's addition, I will say that, from time to time, the categories should be reviewed, and if there is a specific type of category that is significantly differnet from the existing ones that people seem to be calling for, then adding it should be considered. That being said, the existing categories should still be left alone. The only way existing categories should be changed is very simple. Let's say there is a category called "All Thumbs" If over the course of a year, an insignificant number of people shoot it, and if those who do could easilly fit into another category, then All Thumbs should be eliminated.

I don't think there are any categories that are so underused that they should be done away with.

Oh fer gawds sake, shut up with the modified guns crap.

It's reeeeeally getting old.

:FlagAm:

PS: Classic Cowboy is one of my favorite classes...even though I don't shoot it. Leave it alone!

:wacko:

Phantom :FlagAm:

:)

Ghost

Oh fer gawds sake, shut up with the modified guns crap.

It's reeeeeally getting old.

:FlagAm:

PS: Classic Cowboy is one of my favorite classes...even though I don't shoot it. Leave it alone!

:wacko:

I'll do so, when I feel like it's getting old. Feels very fresh to me.

Hey Oddnews!! I STILL ain't found the ejector rod on my 44 Russian model 3s, or my '60 Colt replicas either! Does this mean I'm not welcome at your unloading table? :unsure::lol:

I never said people who didn't use their ejector rods were unwelcome -- I just found them a little odd. On my own 1860 Colt Conversions, I turn the cylinders around and use the arbor to poke out any rounds that are stuck. Obviously, the Russian ejects its cartridges -- do you have a point?

They allow guns BUILT in ways not dreamed of in the Old West.

Get Rugers banned and then come talk about mods. Until then you are barking up a silly tree.

Cheers,

BJT

There used to be an easy solution to that -- it was called "modern class." For some reason, it went away.

There used to be an easy solution to that -- it was called "modern class." For some reason, it went away.

The Missus and I have five pairs of Rugers between us. Neither required shooting in the Modern category when it existed.

Odd, you really should look into what gunfighters (people hired for their prowess with a gun and/or willingness to kill) on the American Frontier did to the tools of their trade to give them an edge.

Your average cowhand? Sure, he probably used what we refer to as "box stock", if you call wrapped in an old rag and stowed in the saddle bag (unless expecting trouble) a box. That is, if he even had a pistol... or a gun at all.

The Missus and I have five pairs of Rugers between us. Neither required shooting in the Modern category when it existed.

Odd, you really should look into what gunfighters (people hired for their prowess with a gun and/or willingness to kill) on the American Frontier did to the tools of their trade to give them an edge.

Your average cowhand? Sure, he probably used what we refer to as "box stock", if you call wrapped in an old rag and stowed in the saddle bag (unless expecting trouble) a box. That is, if he even had a pistol... or a gun at all.

I know about frontier modifications -- everything from polishing jobs to slip hammers with no trigger at all. What I have never seen in any historical account is a short stroked rifle. There isn't one category, not even frontier cartridge, without them today.

All of the clones are modified from the orignals because they are all made from modern steel which is better than the old material. Many of the tuned clone pistols incorporate coil instead of leaf springs. If we all went back to truly "authentic" firearms we would have to require firearms made, not just designed, before 1900. There might be 5 or 6 people across the country willing to regularly shoot their pre-1900 museum quality Colts in competition. Maybe a few more would be intersted in shooting their pre-1900 Winchesters. It would be hard to find anybody willing to shoot pre-1900 coach guns, if they could find them.

CAS is a game. It is hard on equipment. Modifications are permitted becuase they make the game more enjoyable. We honor the old west by shooting reaaonable modern versions of old time firearms. Like I said before if you want to shoot frontier cartridge duelist wearing all the classic cowboy costume, go for it. Just don't expect to find much support from others.

I know about frontier modifications -- everything from polishing jobs to slip hammers with no trigger at all. What I have never seen in any historical account is a short stroked rifle. There isn't one category, not even frontier cartridge, without them today.

Got pictures of gun carts? Loading strips? Hull bags? Stainless steel springs and followers? Hollywood buscadero holsters? B western shirts/ boots? :lol:

Get a life. Oh wait! If you act now you may be able to make a shoot this year. :wacko:

Got pictures of gun carts? Loading strips? Hull bags? Stainless steel springs and followers? Hollywood buscadero holsters? B western shirts/ boots? :lol:

Get a life. Oh wait! If you act now you may be able to make a shoot this year. :wacko:

Those are irrelevancies -- they don't affect the gun's performance at the firing line. As for shooting, I've been shooting at least one weekend a month since May, in SASS approved competitions (if that matters).

Glad to hear it! Way to go! I hope that the newness of shooting again substantially outweighs the distaste you have for all the equipment around you that has been rendered horribly out-of-correctness by your fellow shooters.

Well said B.K. :lol:

I never said people who didn't use their ejector rods were unwelcome -- I just found them a little odd. On my own 1860 Colt Conversions, I turn the cylinders around and use the arbor to poke out any rounds that are stuck. Obviously, the Russian ejects its cartridges -- do you have a point?

Actually I do have a point.

At the risk of doing what you've been doing, my point is that each of us brings his or her own interpretation of the game when we come. What is sooooo important about the short stroke issue that you have to ride it into the ground continually across any number of threads?? If you don't want to short stroke your rifle, (or pistol for that matter) then dont!! With the availability of new rifles and good used ones, surely you can find one that meets your approval, and if you can't see it and can't smell it and don't have to use it, JUST WHAT THE H#!! DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE TO YOU??? :wacko::unsure::rolleyes:

Why is it that you only see your way to play as right and everybody else's way is wrong if it's not exactly like yours?

Glad you're shooting again. As Jefro says..... "Relax! Enjoy!" :lol:

Actually I do have a point.

At the risk of doing what you've been doing, my point is that each of us brings his or her own interpretation of the game when we come. What is sooooo important about the short stroke issue that you have to ride it into the ground continually across any number of threads?? If you don't want to short stroke your rifle, (or pistol for that matter) then dont!! With the availability of new rifles and good used ones, surely you can find one that meets your approval, and if you can't see it and can't smell it and don't have to use it, JUST WHAT THE H#!! DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE TO YOU??? :wacko::unsure::rolleyes:

Why is it that you only see your way to play as right and everybody else's way is wrong if it's not exactly like yours?

Glad you're shooting again. As Jefro says..... "Relax! Enjoy!" :lol:

Any chance of toning it down? The difference that it makes to me is that, in competing against the modified guns, an aspect of the fantasy is destroyed for me. I suppose my feeling is somewhat similar to those who are vehemently opposed to Wild Bunch being made a category vice a side match (I'm not opposed to that, for what it's worth). To me, using a short-stroked rifle is the equivalent (from a "fantasy" standpoint) of using an AR-15. Neither of them was in the Old West (or in B-movies, either). I've never called for banning them, never said they shouldn't be in the sport. All I've ever said is that there should be at least one category where they aren't allowed.

I had a young shooter who is capable of running a stage at alarming speeds shoot my stock, un-short stroked '66 last weekend. Ten shots, ten targets, ten hits, less than three seconds, and he'd never handled the rifle until that moment. He then ran his own short stroked '73 on the same stage only two tenths of a second faster than the previous time. :rolleyes:

IT AIN'T THE GUN!!! IT'S THE SHOOTER!! (not yelling here, I just want to emphasise the point) :D

You will never get a stock gun only class to fly due to the rules and policies required to make it work. Policing it and limiting it will be impossible given the personell required and the time involved in inspection, disassembly and verification. The new Renegade rifle and such are stock out of the box with a shorter stroke than original and many others will probably follow. :unsure:

Comparing a short-stroked lever action rifle to any semi-auto rifle is not that logical, but the same youngster was less than a second slower than with a Ruger 10/22 on the same ten shot stage with the stock rifle. :o

Go figure!! :lol:

Archived