SASS Wire Forum

Stirrin the pot

Here I go stirring the pot about categories. Lets take Classic Cowboy. If you go to all the trouble to wear all the accoutrements, shoot dualist style and use an external hammer shotgun, and your rifle and pistols are 40cal or greater why would you shoot smokeless powder??? In fact, why would a shooter who likes to be historically correct and shoot black powder shoot with a two hand grip? (I am guilty of this one) Why not combine the following categories into one, frontier cartridge, frontier cartridge dualist and classic cowboy and make classic cowboy a black powder only category? then a classic cowboy gunfighter category. If your going to be a historically correct "Classic Cowboy" Then be just that.

Here I go stirring the pot about categories. Lets take Classic Cowboy. If you go to all the trouble to wear all the accoutrements, shoot dualist style and use an external hammer shotgun, and your rifle and pistols are 40cal or greater why would you shoot smokeless powder??? In fact, why would a shooter who likes to be historically correct and shoot black powder shoot with a two hand grip? (I am guilty of this one) Why not combine the following categories into one, frontier cartridge, frontier cartridge dualist and classic cowboy and make classic cowboy a black powder only category? then a classic cowboy gunfighter category. If your going to be a historically correct "Classic Cowboy" Then be just that.

Yep, I get to thinking that way sometimes. Then I load guns with BP and shoot 'em.

But, this is a sport, not a historical re-enactment society.

However, I'd love to shoot in a Frontier Cartridge Classic Cowboy category. Bring it on!

Good luck, GJ

Nope.

I do all those things. My pistols and rifles are 45 and 44 caliber. I shoot Black Powder. I shoot my pistols with one hand. I shoot a hammered double. I wear at least as much cowboy duds as anybody else. Except in the middle of July when the temperature is hovering around 100 degrees and the humidity is so high that you can wring water out of the air, I wear a palm leaf hat. I ain't gonna let some dumb category rule tell me what I have to wear and suffer heat stroke.

Leave it alone. Let those guys who want to shoot Smokeless shoot it. Black Powder ain't for everybody.

Nope.

Leave it alone. Let those guys who want to shoot Smokeless shoot it. Black Powder ain't for everybody.

I agree. Let people play the game the way they want to. (within the rules, of course.)

I always thought your rifle had to be .40 caliber or greater for classic cowboy, but after reading the rules several times it looks like any SASS legal caliber is OK for classic cowboy.

• Revolver calibers: .40 caliber rimmed cartridges or larger—revolvers and rifle Examples

include, but are not limited to, .38-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Mag., .44-40, .45

Schofield, .45 Colt or .36 caliber or larger cap and ball.

• May use any SASS–legal ammunition as long as it adheres to the above caliber restrictions.

• Rifles: Any 1873 or earlier manufacture SASS–legal rifle or a replica thereof (e.g., 1866

Winchester, 1860 Henry, 1873 Winchester).

Can you use .38s in rifle??? If not, a little work needs to be done on these rules.

I always thought your rifle had to be .40 caliber or greater for classic cowboy, but after reading the rules several times it looks like any SASS legal caliber is OK for classic cowboy.

• Revolver calibers: .40 caliber rimmed cartridges or larger—revolvers and rifle Examples

include, but are not limited to, .38-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Mag., .44-40, .45

Schofield, .45 Colt or .36 caliber or larger cap and ball.

May use any SASS–legal ammunition as long as it adheres to the above caliber restrictions.

• Rifles: Any 1873 or earlier manufacture SASS–legal rifle or a replica thereof (e.g., 1866

Winchester, 1860 Henry, 1873 Winchester).

Can you use .38s in rifle??? If not, a little work needs to be done on these rules.

I highlighted a couple of things for you.

I think your problem is with the 38-40. That is a 40 cal cartridge.

38 specials and 357s are not allowed.

I read the highlighted part before. It is missing punctuation and even with a period after rifle it still makes no sense. It lists revolver calibers and then mentions rifles but is very unclear. I ASSumed thats what they meant, but it is not what was said. I can see a new shooter being very confused. I know what it is supposed to say and I am confused. Pot done stirred.

If you want to require black powder propellant in Classic Cowboy then just kill the category and add the clothing requirements to Frontier Cartridge Black Powder. It sounds like that is what you want. It won't happen, of course, but you can see which way the stick floats.

I LIKE Classic Cowboy the way it is (except for the straw hat issue).

That's why I always shoot in the "Old Fart" category; so I can do whatever I want.

It's "duelist".

"Dualist" means there's two of ya.

Or it could mean that his mind and body function separately, as I know mine have on more than one Saturday night . . . .

SC

First, CAS is NOT a SPORT!!! How many athletes do you ever see at a match???? It's a GAME!! A fantasy game at that. Everybody gets to pick how they want to play the GAME within SASS rules. If you wanna shoot Classic Cowboy with BP, your certainly free to do so.

Changing the category to require ALL to shoot BP is just a little anal.

The rules for Classic require .40 Caliber or better. Doesn't specify how big (or little) the case needs to be :wub: ).

Both of me read the rules the same way too :wacko:

Coffinmaker

PS: Oh please lord, don't allow any Necromancers near the glue factory!! Pretty Please!!!!

Frio, the idea is we use REVOLVER CALIBER rounds in our RIFLES, and in the case of Classic, it's written that way because we do NOT use "pistol" rounds (.45 ACP is not legal for CLASSIC)

If'n I ever decide I wanna wear spurs and such, I'd run my C45S in pistols and rifle, and 12 GA featherlites in the shotgun. IF I wanna shoot BP, FC-D is available, and I don't have to wear all that stuff in the summer heat.....

AND, did you know, a little 22 ounce '62 Pocket Navy or Pocket Police five shot .36 cap-n-ball is LEGAL in Classic?

Some people don't get it unless you use the colored chalk......(Unfortunately I'm all out) :wacko:

Time

Money

Sense of Smell

would be the short list.

Why would you want to make CC smaller?

Regards,

B(lack powder shooter)JT

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Some folks just don't like the mess and clean up that comes with black powder

yup

it is my understanding

that

when classic cowboy catagory was up for presentation

black powder was part of the deal

it took a comprimize to git-er-done

so black was out, everything else that you see now, waz in

comprimiZe

Sheesh! It is already tough enough shooting Classic Cowboy with the hammered shotguns, the heavy clothes, spurs, the big bore guns and the duelist style--you want to make us have to peer through the smoke to find the targets and clean our guns after every match too? What's next? Blindfolds? On the other hand, it would give us Classic Cowboys another excuse why we aren't quite as fast as the costume minimum, low cal. load, two handed guys. But I think we have enough excuses already.

It ain't broke so there is nothing to fix. Leave it alone. You can shoot smokin loads if you wish in any category.

Scout (who shoots CC, Duelist and Frontiersman)

Middlefork Bob, from time to time, a few folks have questions concerning the CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL category. The SASS HANDBOOK is pretty clear about the requirements to shoot CLASSIC COWBOY. Folks may not know that the 38-40 pistol cartridge is .40 caliber with 38gr of black powder.

There is nothing in the CLASSIC COWBOY requirements that prevents someone from shooting black powder or BP subs. I shoot my '51 Navies at a major match every year. Navies, being very accurate, are great for this match because the targets are a little farther out.

CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL is not for everyone, but it is NOT a historically correct category either. The category is VERY competitive. There is no age limit. And yes, it is more expensive to play. It is an elite category with some of the best shooters in the world playing the game. Some CLASSIC COWBOYS can shoot faster (double duelist) that most folks using two hands. And no, I'm not one of them.

The CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL SHOOTIST AWARD PROGRAM was started to recognize outstanding shooters who are "WILLIN'" to shoot the category. The Board of the Magnificent 7, Brother King, Texas Ghost, Dragon Hill Dave, Needmore Gunz, Vance Montana, T-Bone Dooley, and Solicitor General will chose a CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL to recieve the 2011 AWARD at the end of this year. The only reqirement is that he/she was "willin'" and nominated by the SASS shooters.

IF, you are "willin'", I invite you and others to shoot this elite category (use BP if you wish, but don't expect to be competitive). Bisley's, '73's, and TTN's are the guns of choice and they are NOT "out of the box" guns, if ya know what I mean.

Sincerly,

Ghost

I'm glad there are classic cowboys who show up and shoot in that category, I like watching them and seeing all their gear. And even with all the gear, and no straw hat on a hot day, those that I know of are still out there running the timer, or doing some other posse chores. Not that those in other categories don't, but...

If ya can't find a way to shoot and dress just the way ya want within the existing categories, you ain't trying hard enough. :)

Well, every category, no matter how "classic" or "frontier" or whatever, still allows guns modified in ways not seen in the Old West. I get it, it's a game -- it's an Old West game, isn't?

Hello,

We are not reinactors, some want to be and some don't. To include all we are inclusive not exclusive. That is one reason some categories are open to a variety of guns and propellants and not restricted to a few. Other categories are more restrictive.

You can find a way to play the game your way as can I.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Well, every category, no matter how "classic" or "frontier" or whatever, still allows guns modified in ways not seen in the Old West. I get it, it's a game -- it's an Old West game, isn't?

Oh fer gawds sake, shut up with the modified guns crap.

It's reeeeeally getting old.

:FlagAm:

PS: Classic Cowboy is one of my favorite classes...even though I don't shoot it. Leave it alone!

:wacko:

I shoot Classic Cowboy. Have for quite a while, except for a brief foray into Frontier Cartridge. Am I a fast shooting Classic Cowboy? Nope.

Do I shoot CC because I think it's a great category? Yep.

For a couple of years I shot CC with a 1860 Henry, a pair of 75 Remingtons and an 87. And BP, or at least a sub. Having discovered that the Henry is too dang hard to hang onto when it's 100 degrees out and I'm shooting BP, I traded the Henry for a 66. I also traded the 87 for something else because I never could quite get the hang of shooting it, though the cool factor is off the charts. Now I shoot a TTN tuned by Nate Kiowa Jones. And the Remingtons have been replaced with a pair of slicked-up Bisleys.

Do I shoot any faster? Don't know. Maybe. If so, it's not by much. Do I have just as much fun as I ever did? Yep. I'll never be anywhere close to the aforementioned T-Bone Dooley, et. al. speed-wise, but I defy any of 'em to have more fun than I do shooting. I agree that restricting the category any further is counter-productive. We've got enough category restrictions across the board already, and CC by its very nature is self-restricting.

I choose to shoot CC with BP, just because I think it's a cool way to shoot it. Most don't. I make jokes with my posse mates about being the most Classic of the Cowboys on the posse, but it's all in fun.

Leave Classic Cowboy alone, if you please. And even if you don't please, leave it alone anyway.

And that's all I have to say about that...

Is it winter already. These fights usually happen in December and January.

Anyway, there is nothing stopping any pard from shooting Frontier Cartridge Classic Cowboy Duelist or Gunfighter.

Hey Oddnews!! I STILL ain't found the ejector rod on my 44 Russian model 3s, or my '60 Colt replicas either! Does this mean I'm not welcome at your unloading table? :unsure::lol:

They allow guns BUILT in ways not dreamed of in the Old West.

Get Rugers banned and then come talk about mods. Until then you are barking up a silly tree.

Cheers,

BJT

Archived