SASS Wire Forum

Today... the Korean War ended.

Deacon Will

:FlagAm:More than 5.7 million Americans served in the armed forces during the Korean War from June 25, 1950, to July 27, 1953:

33,741 U.S. troops were killed in combat in Korea and 2,833 died there from other causes. :FlagAm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War

Some say it has never ended. -_-

The Forgotten War.

Damn shame.

Technically the war is still going on :unsure:

My godfather fought in that war ...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Yes. It's only a cease fire.

My father in law was in the Marines in Korea. He was awarded the Silver Star and a couple of Purple Hearts.

My father was in the Air Force stationed in Japan at Yakota AFB as a crewmember on a RB-50. On July 27, 1953, Capt. Ralph Parr scored the last air victory of the Korean War when he shot down an IL-2 transport. It was carrying several high ranking Russian Officers returning to Vladivostok. The Russians were angry. On July 29, 1953, the RB-50 my father flew on was on a routine reconnaissance mission near Vladisvostok when it was shot down by MIG-15's. One member of the crew survived and was rescued. The fate of the rest of the crew, including my father, is unknown.

When I was in high school, several of my classmates lost family members in Korea.

I have been in Korea 14 times during my active duty.

Da "Rocks" as they are called , ride around in jeeps mouted with 50 cal machine guns in the rear.

After curfew , they are ordered to shoot any one on the streets. Don't know about now.

On the D.M.Z. , our sniper would take up postion , and aim at the North's sniper , who was aiming at our snpier.

They would be there, watching each other for 12 to 18 hours , never moving.

When one would break and stand, the other would too and both would fire that round into the air.

I know they wasn't to be doing this, but not one NCO or Officer would or could stop it .

My Dad told me that right after the "cease fire" that U.S. patrols along the DMZ would often carry .22 cal target pistols, like the old Ruger Standard, and would shoot at the Chinese and North Korean patrols on the other side of the DMZ as they passed each other. The Commies were wearing those thick, quilted coats, and would rarely get their skin broken - but they sure knew they'd been tagged! :o

The UN quickly put a stop to the fun and games before the Commies escalated the weaponry.

Bama Red, no offense, but I kind of doubt that story. Third Platoon Leader, Dog Company, 2nd Battalion, Fifth Marines, Korea 1952-1953. I came home in July when the 1st Marine Division was in Corps Reserve at Camp Casey. Anyone who would do such a thing would have gotten a general court marshal I assure you. Sounds like a sea story to me. ;)

Archived