SASS Wire Forum

Gun Stories tonight - the BAR

Grizzly Dave

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Years ago I became friends with a WWII vet who carried a BAR through the Normandy Bocage country. He said he used to shoot it from the hip

I lugged one around South East Asia for about 10 months. Heavy beast, but it never failed to function. It would come up out of a rice paddy spitting water and mud out the ejection port along with the fired cases. Helped to open the bolt first and drain the water out of the barrel :unsure:

The other choice was the early M-16. Oh, wait, that wasn't a choice :-( I couldn't get my hands on an M-14 :angry:

Coffinmaker

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Shoot a BAR from the hip? Yikes. Those things look like they thump ya pretty good...

yeah, he said he would hang it from the sling over his shoulder. Plus he was a big Michigan farmboy. He went ashore om Omaha Beach

Shoot a BAR from the hip? Yikes. Those things look like they thump ya pretty good...

Actually the WW 1 version had no bipod and was meant to be more or less fired from the hip. There was a cup on the BAR gunners web belt to fit the BAR but into to aid with "marching fire" through no man's land.

1918 A3 BAR

Grizz -

Thanks for the 'heads up' about the show.

Pictured above is my Ohio Ordnance 1918 A3 BAR - semi auto only - fires from a closed bolt.

When fitted with its bipod and scope, will reach out and touch coyotes at distances far beyond my shooting capabilities.

Tull

Good show tonight, might have been better if Miz Grizz hadn't been trying to talk to me through a good part of it... :D

Let's see, so far they've done...

1873 Colt Peacemaker

Winchester 1894

BAR

And if I picked up on the ad for next week right, it's be on the 870. I reckon it is about time for a shotgun in the mix.

Hey Bane, how many total episodes of Gun Stories in this season? Or is that a closely guarded industry secret?

Grizz

Archived