SASS Wire Forum

Vehicle Insurance

Just got a letter from my insurance company (Safeco) that they are raising my rate by over 28% :angry: Been with them for 6 years and just had my first claim for $2200. I backed into a contractor truck that was working here on my new deck. This is the only claim in the last 25 years and I havn't had a citation in 40 years. Really Pi##ed off. Called my agent and said ..look for someone else, my homeowners is also with the same company (never had a claim). I insure 2 vehicles (my F350 & Explorer), travel trailer and homeowner with them, so it is a sizable chunk of change annually.

It's a shame that this crappola happens, seems like all insurance companies want is premiums and NEVER pay anything for a claim. <_<

Rant over :blush:

Actually they do pay claims...with your money to people that insist on rebuilding in flood-plains. This year has been particularly bad for flooding and they gotta get it back somehow, and you are the target this time. Have had similar issues with different agencies in the past. I can empathize with you.

Bodine

Don't get me started! :angry: :angry:

28% is quite a chunk. Ouch! I feel for ya.

I've been with USAA for a while now and had a sizeable claim with them just before moving over here.

It's hard to tell if I had an increase or not as I had to add on a lot of stuff, (Renter's ins as a landlord and renter's ins here plus the German policy on two cars and the truck and camper I left with my brother to watch).

I just had a nice long conversation with them the other night and ended up getting a rider for my gun collection at a reasonable price.

All that said, I'd drop'em like a hot potatoe if they did me like they did to you. Except that USAA is rated #1 or #2 in the U.S so they'd be hard to beat.

Charlie

Don't get me started! :angry: :angry:

Don't get me started, either. Insurance companies and their quest for profits, limiting payouts, increasing exclusions...., are also one of the primary reasons for such high health care costs.

You have a service A that you need. You have money B that you have to pay toward that. Then you have someone get in the middle who knows statistics and probabilities better than you do who says he will broker the deal.

I think the system should be changed to remove insurance companies from the mix.

Just my view...

Are you all under the impression that insurance companies aren't a for profit idea? If they don't make money for their stockholders, said stockholders will invest someplace else and the rates will go up even more or the companies will go under.

If you can find a better way that will work, put it on the table.

I have Chubb and when a near by Lighting strike killed the pump at the bottom of my Well they Payed the $2,000 within 3 days Had another larger claim with them 5 years ago due to a frozen pipe and again no hassle at all and almost insta pay when I got the bill for the repairs and no increase on my bill either Class act company

Safeco has been ok to me. Very little claim history. They raised my rates on one speeding ticket a few months back but my wife talked 'em back down.

Where you have and at-fault claim-- as where you backed into a truck-- this can happen. Have you tried to bargain with the agent? This can in fact work where you have several policies. They might go down some from the 28% to keep the business.

Safeco has been ok to me. Very little claim history. They raised my rates on one speeding ticket a few months back but my wife talked 'em back down.

Where you have and at-fault claim-- as where you backed into a truck-- this can happen. Have you tried to bargain with the agent? This can in fact work where you have several policies. They might go down some from the 28% to keep the business.

Good idea! Folks that are not used to bargining for the best prices would be surprised at what the outcome might be if they just tried. ;)

I have USAA as well. Never had a problem with them.

That said, I did have to file a claim with SafeCo once. I was on my bicycle and had an incident with a car. It was the fault of the driver (she said she didn't see me). I wasn't injured, but my bike was totaled. 3 weeks later I had a check in hand for full replacement cost (custom bicycle, not an off-the-shelf product). I found them easy to deal with, considering.

I have USAA as well. Never had a problem with them.

That said, I did have to file a claim with SafeCo once. I was on my bicycle and had an incident with a car. It was the fault of the driver (she said she didn't see me). I wasn't injured, but my bike was totaled. 3 weeks later I had a check in hand for full replacement cost (custom bicycle, not an off-the-shelf product). I found them easy to deal with, considering.

I had one of those 25 years ago. The driver's husband who was not a witness to the accident was a real AH about it. I made sure the total $$ involved were high enough to raise his rates. For example, I did not *have* to tell my health insurance company that they could bill the costs to some other insurance company.

Archived