SASS Wire Forum

Man attempts surgery on himself

Old Scatterbrain

http://news.yahoo.com/calif-man-attempts-self-surgery-butter-knife-173714880.html

GLENDALE, Calif. (AP) — A Southern California man stuck a butter knife into his belly in a failed bid at self-surgery to remove a painful hernia, police said Tuesday.

The wife of the 63-year-old Glendale man called 911 on Sunday night and told the emergency operator her husband was using a knife to remove a protruding hernia, Sgt. Tom Lorenz said.

"She said he had impaled himself with a knife," Lorenz said.

Officers found the man naked on a patio lounge chair outside his apartment with a 6-inch butter knife sticking out of his stomach.

The man's wife told officers that her husband was upset about the hernia and wanted to take it out.

While waiting for paramedics, the sergeant said, the man pulled out the knife and stuffed a cigarette he was smoking into the bleeding, open wound.

"What he was thinking, I don't know. I don't know if he was cauterizing it (the wound)," Lorenz said.

The man wasn't screaming or showing any signs of pain, the sergeant said.

Based on his actions and statements from the wife, Lorenz said the man was placed on psychiatric hold and taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center.

Because he's on psychiatric hold for up to 72 hours under the state Welfare and Institutions Code, Lorenz said the man's name and condition cannot be released.

"You just never know what to expect," said Lorenz, who has been on the police force for 29 years. "I've seen self-mutilation, but not a maneuver like this."

The man that is his own lawyer is a fool, the man that is his own doc is just plain crazy.

Oh...ya got dat shot rat ! :wacko:

Once represented a fellow who took a carving knife to his own stomach; he had complained repeatedly to several doctors of debilitating pain; they all dismissed his complaints - he was an alcoholic, and they all assumed he was looking for pain meds as an abuser. Turns out a surgeon had actually left a surgical sponge in his gut after an operation, and it was rotting inside of him, causing real pain. The ER found it when they were treating him after his attempt at self-surgery.

This other fellow's choice of instruments, facilities and surgeon all suggest that there may have been a chemical agent involved.......self-administered.

I realize that it's unsympathetic, but all I can think of is the Sheriff in Costner's Robin Hood - "Locksley...I'm going to cut your heart out with a spoon!!!"

LL

Badger does that all of the time. He is always taking a drill to his head to let out 'the evil vapors'. :wacko::blink:

I thought you could accomplish the same thing with a good "power squeeze" in the outhouse. :rolleyes:

The man that is his own lawyer is a fool, the man that is his own doc is just plain crazy.

Yes. It didn't sound like his operation was a success. In the first place, he should put himself out before he begins. Every surgeon knows that! :lol:

My physician, a good personal friend, once confided to me that he considered doing his own vasectomy, but then he got worried that he might have some kind of reaction that would cause him to pass out during the surgery, and he could not bear the idea that he would be found on the floor, unconscious, clutching himself...

So he made a deal with a buddy doctor to swap a case of beer for the surgery.

Probably a good decision all the way around.

My physician, a good personal friend, once confided to me that he considered doing his own vasectomy, but then he got worried that he might have some kind of reaction that would cause him to pass out during the surgery, and he could not bear the idea that he would be found on the floor, unconscious, clutching himself...

So he made a deal with a buddy doctor to swap a case of beer for the surgery.

Probably a good decision all the way around.

I hope the exchange was not made until AFTER the surgery was performed. :o

:blink: Well, if they split the case just before, and the knife was sharp........ :unsure:

Archived